slowly losing top end Part 1+2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took it out for another test drive...

Hit the waves today. if I had known that the waves were as big and clean as they were, i would have gotten here earlier and surfed them, but we got here late and i took it out by myself.

My bilge pump worked PERFECTLY and there was no bogging at all.

More importantly, all the waves I jumped (probably 20 waves, some as big as 4-6' giving me close to 8' of air) and the bilge pump did not come loose from it's mount:hurray:

Want to add to a closed thread on losing top-end power.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=1248&highlight=waves

I finally figured out what was going on there. I had assumed it was something electrical getting wet in the salt water, while jumping waves. This was before I installed the bilge pump to keep the hull drier.

This last week, I installed a dual Mikuni primer system, and noticed that when the choke was removed from my carburetor, it left 2 holes in each carb where the butterfly attached. The top holes were plugged with a brass plug, 2 more similar plugs were in the primer installation kit, which got me wondering...

The bottom two holes were open into the hull below the air-cleaner assembly, so it was able to suck air, dust, and SALT WATER from the hull as the hull got more and more water in it. Add to it that I was jumping pretty big waves, splashing all that salt water around, and I think the water was getting into the carburetor through those bottom holes!

Those holes are now plugged with the two inlet nipples for the primer, so I should not see that behavior anymore. I had pretty much solved it when I put in the bilge pump, which kept the water from getting too deep in the hull while riding around.

Just thought I would throw that out there. I know it is a pretty obscure problem, with so few skis having the chokes removed, but someday, someone may have a similar setup and this may help them solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back