Should I change the oil on my new Sea-Doo?

mkov608

In days past if you purchased a new ski, the dealership would have you bring your ski in for its first oil change at the 10 hour mark. Now, that service is no longer provided. I suspect the risk for BRP is low since they only offer a 12 month warranty, and any engine oil wear related problem will take a few years to manifest itself.

So if you are a new owner, should I change my engine oil at the 10 hour mark?

Watch this video:

After watching this video, I decided to perform my own test on my brother's new GTR 230, and the oil geek guy is 100% right. Check out the aluminum levels in our engine oil at the 12 hour mark. If you intent to keep you ski for the long term, I highly recommend performing an initial oil change at the 10 hour mark to get that break-in oil out of the engine.

2023 GTR oil report.jpg

Yes, you should change your oil after 10 hrs of initial break in. It would be better to have fresh oil than to keep the initial fish oil in it from the factory. Karl

Oil is added at the dealership not the factory; I can't imagine the dealership would use anything other that the specified XPS oil. On our next sample at the end of the season, we'll be able to compare the additive package and friction modifiers to see if the two oils are the same.

Back