seadoo works but bogs sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gupta12342

i finally got the seadoo GTS 1996 working it was low compression now it runs good but if i let it idle for about 30 sec to 1 min then give it full throttle it will bog. I have to give it full throttle then back to idle then full throttle again and then it goes full speed

Have you disassembled, thoroughly cleaned and serviced the carburetor(s)? If the ski still has the factory grey fuel lines those should be replaced using quality fuel lines intended for the type of fuel you will be using.

it has all new fuel lines and the crab has been cleaned and rebuilt

Yep, that's the first thing that needs to be done on all these old ski motors, most common problem that happens to all of them. Air leaks inward into the fuel lines can cause lean hesitation too, so low pressure air check the fuel lines and fittings too (no more than a few psi to avoid damage).

So do you recall which parts were replaced if any? The metering springs, metering seat orifice diameter and metering lever position can cause an off idle lean hesitation. Normally, measuring metering needle pop-off pressure before installing the rebuilt carbs can identify a problem in this area.

1996 might have an accelerator pump, can't remember, if yes then the nozzles in the carb bore where the fuel squirts in are often plugged with fuel gum too. In that case some carb cleaner can usually dissolve and clear the restriction. To test the operation then when the accelerator pump is actuated there should be a good squirt of fuel coming from the accelerator nozzle into the carb bore, not just a little dribble (if yours has these accelerator pump nozzles, might not).

Attachments

• MikuniSprings.jpg
    MikuniSprings.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 16
Did u recheck your carb settings? Sounds like it could be loading up with fuel. Check pop off and check needle and seat

one quick google search later and..
MAIN-147.5 PILOT-65
Needle, 2.0
Pop off, 21 - 37
LOW- 1-1/4 HIGH- 0

I wish he'd fix that table, always causes confusion.

http://www.seadoosource.com/carbreference.html

What does your factory service manual say is the correct pop-off pressure?

From the Mikuni manual here, you can see by spring color the pop-off spec and by that select the correct components based on what your factory manual says:
http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/sbn_manual.pdf

It's important not to throw just any spring in there and it's important to have a realistic pop spec, not 1psi~1000psi, that doesn't cut it.

If the original springs are still in the carburetor, it's best to reuse them if they're the correct ones and someone hasn't changed them to the wrong ones.

Attachments

• Mikuni BN Spring Pop-Off Calibration.jpg
    Mikuni BN Spring Pop-Off Calibration.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back