Seadoo Marketing in the 90's. How was each model positioned in the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krispy

So I am trying to gain an understanding of how each model was represented by Seadoo and ultimately how that changed over the years.

This is a good starting point: http://www.seadoosource.com/seadoomodelreference.html
But, I want to know a bit more info

For example:

The XP has always been their "Factory Race Ski" and in 97 it entered into a new hull design, it was less preferred by the racers? And they kept making the 800 powered X4 hull under the designation SPX until 99. Why was this? Was there such a demand for the X4 hull at that time or did they simply want to continue using the old tooling and molds they had on hand? What were Seadoo factory racers running in 97,98,99?

So if the X4 hull design seen on the XP and later SPX were the racing craft of the day where were the other 2 seat designs positioned?

XP 92-96 (Factory Racing Ski?) - One seater?
GSX 96-99 The actual 2 seat ski
HX?

Let me know what you think Seadoo was trying to do back then in your opinion, and what was the racing scene thinking in the same era?

The only "factory race ski" ever made by Seadoo was the RXX. The XP was there top of the line sport or performance model.
The early racers used both the early body styles. They made custom versions of the skis depending on whatever tuner went to work on them. In 1994 the fastest guys were on the one seaters and they did not even want to switch over to the new X4 hulls Seadoo was pushing on them after spending years to work up to the point they were at.

The X4 soon proved itself and was the standard thing seen on the coarse. Tons of aftermarket companies started up selling performance parts. It was sold as a two seater in the dealerships just to have a good talking point to sell against the competition. In racing they were referred to as "Runabout" class. The HX is the "Sport" class and is still very popular running against Yamaha Blasters.

When the parabolic hull design hit in 97 it was not jumped on by the racing community. The hull was heavy and a little under powered with an 800 in it. The XPL's that followed were and still are very competitive. It is only now that the new naturally aspirated four strokes can lick one properly set up for racing. They go through the chop better instead of just jumping everything. Seadoo made the RXX with all the racing parts bolted on and the racers said it would have been a lot more successful based on the XPL hull. The issue was that the parabolic hull had been out for four years and BRP wanted to promote their new hull design.

The GSX hull was embraced by the racing community at first but it just wasn't a winner. Some riders say they would hook in the turns? I know there were aftermarket lightweight GSX hulls made by at least three companies. Racers seemed to prefer and move forward with the XPL hull. The GSX is a true two seater though.

My wife and I hit the ISJBA world champion ship about 2 years ago... LOTS of XPL hulls... LOTS.

I've ridden all ski's listed here, and my XPL is still my fav, nothing seems to corner like it does. the GSX is wicked fun, but slides in the corners like you're on a 4x8 sheet of flat plywood. I've ridden the RX, and assume 30 more HP in the RXX would be nice, but the reality is, it's just too big to get into the turns.

Yeah I bought a World Finals winning XPL hull that I have not put together yet. I went to the races last weekend and got to talk to the guys who tuned it. He said they measured it in the corners at 5g's!!

We have been trying to work on a new class that allows aftermarket hulls and 951's or Kawi triple in X4 hulls. XPL's are not allowed in that class because it would not be fair, they are just faster.

Yeah the RXX is cool but like driving a truck around the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back