Remove the old decking from my swim platform-- Time for SeaDek

Status
Not open for further replies.

gb387

I remove the original mats from my swim platform in preparation for our new SeaDek.

This was much easier than I thought it would be, the mats came up very easy and peeled completely off with no remaining mat material just the PSA. I easily remove the PSA according to SeaDek instructions. Old rags soaked in Lacquer Thinner sitting on the glue for a period of time softening the PSA, I also used a stiff bristle brush to get into all the grooves of the non-slip. The most difficult part of the job was removing the glue around the outside edge of the old mats, was very hard didn't want to soften up.

New Color we are installing:
IMG_20170626_100111.jpg

Old Deck--
IMG_20170625_204711.jpg
IMG_20170625_204954.jpg

Soaking--
IMG_20170625_205600.jpg
IMG_20170625_205555.jpg
IMG_20170625_205550.jpg

Clean and ready to go---
IMG_20170626_204326.jpg
IMG_20170626_204335.jpg

Partially installed---
IMG_20170626_211456.jpg
IMG_20170626_211513.jpg

I only have it partially installed as we are missing some of the included parts and may change alignment if not installed together.

We received the missing parts from JBP today, very prompt and quick to fix the missing parts. Great customer service!!

Here is the rear deck, I'm trying to decide if I'm going to modify some of the parts not installed currently to work with the transat seats or not install them at all. We use the transat seats all the time!

IMG_20170629_205447.jpg
IMG_20170629_205438.jpg

We have a couple more parts to install on the front of the boat but too lazy to remove the entire cover!

More photos to come--

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall we love the look. There are a couple minor alignment issues. Now that I have installed this product I know what I would do different to prevent these issues you always learn on the first try.

Super soft on your feet!! Appears to be high quality but it is expensive. As always you get what you pay for but it's still expensive, I would guess it has to do with the machines used to cut it and probably some patents that don't allow for competition yet.

Would we do it again, absolutely!! The look is amazing! Gives your boat a whole new look and looks first class!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the review! I am so close to pulling the trigger on the Faux Teak for my swim platform. This review is not going to help my wallet!

We just installed ours back in January. We have a few more platform pieces than you do in your kit. Curious as to what mods you did to allow for the transat seats to open up as ours interferes with the Seadek. I don't want to ruin the Seadek with the seats, but we really enjoy using the seats, but haven't since the install.

BTW, it looks great. We went with the mocha color.

I do have the additional parts for the swim platform but those are the ones that interfere with the transat seats. If i install those they won't allow for the seats to sit flush and appears it would stress the hinges or fiberglass where the hinges mount. I have a sample of my material and I'm going to try and cut/rout it, if that works out I am going to shorten the narrow strips I have that will interfere with the seats. I will post back when/if it works.

I was thinking of that too but wasn't sure--

Now that you mention it it might be a better option to try first, I was worried about it raising the rear top seats too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back