Rebuilt crank shaft bearing noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toolanddiemaker

Hey guys need some help, I just got a rebuilt crank shaft for a 93xp sent to me and the pto side bearings are making a rattling noise I know from work that bearings are supposed to be quiet or they are shot so why would a brand new rebuilt crank have noisy bearings? The mag side bearings spin nice and quiet I even added some 2 stroke oil to the noisy ones and that didn't do much. Also they jacked up the o ring on the center bearing and it looks like they ground some material off to debure there are also a few nick marks I'm guessing the rebuilder beat the bearings up while pressing? Anyway here is a video hopefully you can here the noise. Thanks for the help!https://vimeo.com/119080945
I wanted to get your opinions first before I call the shop thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They should soon smooth and zero noise. You shouldn't need to oil a new bearing to make it quiet. Can't remember if you got it from that pwc engine in NY?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

They should soon smooth and zero noise. You shouldn't need to oil a new bearing to make it quiet. Can't remember if you got it from that pwc engine in NY?

Yep pwc in New York, I'm going to give them a shout mon morning hopefully they are cool about it. Don't know how that would pass a quality check.

I remember a member on here had a go round with them in a crank and her was in Canada. What was the difference in sbt?

I remember a member on here had a go round with them in a crank and her was in Canada. What was the difference in sbt?

They were about the same as sbt price wise I just thought I would give them a try.

Hopefully you have a better response from them. Keep us posted

Hopefully you have a better response from them. Keep us posted

I talked to the crank builder this morning and he said he uses niche bearings and they all sound like that he also said the mag side bearings are different and that is why there quite? I brought the crank into work today and had a couple Machanical engineers take a look at it they said the bearings seem to look good but the cage inside is what is rattling and that they are fine I'm not sure what to think now lol! I was always under they impression that bearings should all be quiet.

I'm a little concerned now because I value the opinions of you guys over everyone even the engineers at work because of experience on these applications. So do you guys think the builder is just giving me the runaround?

Well I put the crank in the case to see how it fit and the web was bent and it rubs into the case actually it won't even turn you can see why here
199.jpg
200.jpg
201.jpg

I was told to bend it back while its in the case with a screwdriver? Wtf! That said I'm trying to get a refund they wont answer the phone this afternoon so I'm trying through email I don't like bashing a company but what is going on. Anyway wish me luck!
Am I overreacting or does this all point to a messed up crank shaft?

Did you pay with your credit card? Make a phone call, they have the power to yank the money back out put the money on hold. God I hope you paid with your cc direct to them.

Did you pay with your credit card? Make a phone call, they have the power to yank the money back out put the money on hold. God I hope you paid with your cc direct to them.

Yes I did, thanks for the heads up I will make that phone call if I don't here back from them by tomorrow this sucks!

I wouldn't wait till tomorrow. Get the ball rolling today.

That crank is shot with the bent web. Whatever applied enough force to bend it made it out of true so it needs to be replaced not just bent back with a screwdriver. You would damage the cases before it bent.
Obviously the crank builder does not value quality work not only if they sent it out like that but also telling you to bend it back.
As far as the bearings the OEM ones use a plastic cage so the metal cages on yours could be noisy if completely dry but as soon as you added the 2 stroke oil they should have been smooth and silent.

Wishing you luck on the refund.

Just got off the phone and he offered to build my lower end with a new crank installed I kindly passed and pushed for a refund. So I will be sending it back getting a refund and getting my core back sucks I'm out shipping but I guess it's better than loosing out on $300.00

I would check some of the online retailers.....
I bought my crank OEM from a seadoo dealer for less than $400. Also check your local dealer. If you figure shipping costs and add this to the dealer price they might go for it. Lets say you paid $300 for the crank and $50 shipping to an from you are out $350 so offer your dealer $400 out the door. They will still make money on you and you get an OEM crank for $50 more.

I would check some of the online retailers.....
I bought my crank OEM from a seadoo dealer for less than $400. Also check your local dealer. If you figure shipping costs and add this to the dealer price they might go for it. Lets say you paid $300 for the crank and $50 shipping to an from for $50 you are out $350 so offer your dealer $400 out the door. They will still make money on you and you get an OEM crank for $50 more.

Ok cool I will try that,looks like oem is the way to go. Thanks!

I can't say anything bad about other crank companies except for the one you posted pictures of but for my own personal ski I like OEM cranks with the good bearings, seals and rods and am fine paying a little more knowing I went with the best. Honestly with shipping including core and return I am paying less than an SBT crank for a OEM one but I buy a lot from my dealer and get a good discount for it.

I can't say anything bad about other crank companies except for the one you posted pictures of but for my own personal ski I like OEM cranks with the good bearings, seals and rods and am fine paying a little more knowing I went with the best. Honestly with shipping including core and return I am paying less than an SBT crank for a OEM one but I buy a lot from my dealer and get a good discount for it.

I'm defiantly going to look into it there is a dealer in the town I grew up in in Ohio right by my parents I'm heading out there soon so I will give them a ring. At this point I have learned my lesson on going the cheap route I think even at $400.00 it's going to be worth it to have a piece of mind aside from the fact that I'm putting so many hours into a resto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back