Rant rant rant, I hate automotive service shops, rant rant rant

soccerdad

So in NC, like many places, you have to get your car inspected before you renew the registration. My wife takes her car to the AAA Autocare place to get the inspection done. It is a 2006 Toyota minivan. Now I have to say I have neglected the poor thing, but it keeps running like a top. We just noticed that the front tires were wearing poorly due to alignment issues. I was going to rotate them to the back, but she took the van in before I could do it.

They failed her on the inspection for worn tires, although the tread wear bars were still showing. They also failed her for a cracked power steering belt. They offered to sell her tires and replace the belt. She had something else to do so she left and stopped by Costco and got new tires. :facepalm:Then she called me. She told me they wanted $190 to change the belt. Here they put it in some state system that you failed so once they input it, you cant just go to another place and get it passed. So I went and got a belt and an hour later and $40 (I changed two belts) the job was complete with the test drive and cleanup. Then I looked at the belt. It is flawless. Not a single crack on it. Basically they saw my wife and figured they had a hostage and a quick sale. They also told her the every time you get new tires, you MUST have it aligned. Now she does need an alignment, but what they told her is a crock of crud. I have had a host of vehicles that have evenly used up several sets of tires without a single alignment. Dodge the potholes and stay away from curbs....

So $350 later, she can go back and get the inspection passed. And we will take it to be aligned at a REAL alignment shop.

GRRR :banghead: This is the reason I have carbed two stroke skis. Stay away from any service people.

wow! some strict rules in nc! ive worked as a tech in colorado and idaho for 23 years and never heard of that in my neck of the woods. i'm sorry that the shop tried to take advantage of your wife as it is pretty sad. if it were me i would take that belt to the shop and rub it in their face! i get a lot of new customers that are told that they need service and some how end up in my shop and win them over by honesty. i know first hand how hard it is to find a shop with integrity but there are a few out there.
besides an alignment issue it is also very important to rotate the tires every 5 k to minimize wear. even a perfectly aligned front end can wear tires on the edges if the tires are not rotated regularly. i hope you find a trust worthy shop.

I happen to work at an Automobile Dealership, I'm the IT Director. We sell Cadillac, Volvo and Subaru. I guess I've lost touch with the real world, I get my cars repaired at cost, parts and labor. I just got brakes, front and rear on my Jeep, $30.00 and an 18 pack of Bud Light, for labor. The Bud Light was optional. Oil changes are 6.00, including filter, I've been using Castrol full synthetic, and they've been sending me a $20.00 rebate which covers the cost of the oil. My wife drives an 01 Taurus, probably the best maintained 13 year old car in town.

Lou

I've got a shop near me....rip joint...thought about calling the state cops on them.

There deal is...assuming you're gonna pass inspection for all the biggies....they say your wipers are defective...offer to sell you a set for $20.

FCK THEM.

She did take the belt back. I should have done it but work is crazy. The tech bent the belt inside out as sharp as possible, then showed her some little lines that he called cracks. He told her that if there are more than a 5 in a couple inches, the belt is bad and about to break. She believed him and then had them finish the inspection without the alignment. She brought the belts back home and I did the same test. Still no cracks. What a jerk. I told my wife they were crooks and banned her from the place. I know some shops are good, but it is so hit and miss. I do as much work on the cars as possible (except I did get lazy and ignored rotating her tires). I am about to tear into my son's 2003 accord V6 for a timing belt change. Should be fun. That job will save me about $300. Heck, you can get a used ski in off season for that!

I would call AAA and complain since it is a Certified AAA shop.
Sorry about your experience and most shops are Jerks like that. My wife has had similar issues like that and she will call me and I just tell here to leave.

Back