Please Help No Accelartion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTRFWLR

Ok Guys,
Allow me 1st to apologize about a post that got me banned for a while! Just frustrated!

The latest issue..... All was running good (real good), then all of a sudden today I went from full speed to a slow decrease (noticed some cavitation) then she quit. Got it started back up, ran fine again. I thought well I better not push it and wouldn't you know it half way home she slowed to a very slow idle. I couldn't achieve a speed faster then 5mph. I noticed a louder then normal engine purr and some smoke. No way to get it on plane. Just took it slow back to dock. The engine sounded very dry?? All water was discharging as it should. Very little water in engine compartment.

Would I be crazy to think a driveline rebuild kit or clean rave valves. Just got in from the lake, cleaned exterior and covered for the night.

Please I beg for a possible clue.

Thanks guys, one again I apologize!

Note,
I just replaced impeller, jet propulsion and wear ring. (this was done a week ago)

It could be a few things, but as seadooya said... get us a compression reading, and we will go from there.

Thanks guys. At lunch today I am going to step out of the office to get a new compression tester. I will post back around 7pm est tonight with results.

I love the boat. It is immaculate. I just want it to run!

Found the issue - But need help on possible fix

Guys,
So I conducted the compression check and they read 132/135. Not the greatest but workable. In doing the test my buddy look down to see smoke coming from the exhaust hose that is connected from the resonator to the pipe cone (part# 274000170). In further looking at this we noticed a large hole.

Ok great, this for sure is the reason of lost power. Now here is where this gets sticky. I just had the same problem 2 weeks ago and the mechanic replaced the hose and all was good for a short time. I telephoned him to tell him my findings and he said it is running to hot and something is wrong with the cooling system.

Can someone please guide me to a possible place to start. I refuse to keep paying mechanic bills.

I beg for your help.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

You don't need to beg... we will help. We just get upset when people bash what we love. :cheers:

Yup... a big hole in the exhaust isn't good, and will kill your power. Also, the mechanic is right. It's running hot. Without cooling water, the exhaust can reach temps that will even melt aluminum.

I would start with removing the hoses between the head and the pipe, and make sure they are clear. Then... use compressed air to blow though the passages. I'm sure you will find the plug.

One more thing. I'm assuming this is the challenger? I would verify that that the water regulator is working. (black thing on the water box)

Last edited by a moderator:
Water regulator

Ok, I just checked all water passages and they blew clear. Surprised how much water actually sits in the hoses after use. Blew that nasty smelling sewer water on the wall of the garage. Wife will love that!!

So it has to be the regulator. Any ideas on where to start diagnosing that? Man, I have to think that is the cause.

Thanks guys

Take the valve off the water box, and take it apart. Look for broken parts, or corroded fittings.

Once it's clean, adjust it by seating the top screw, and then turn it out 3 turns. I think Scooper just had the same issue as you, and he is running it the entire way in. Look for a tread in the General boat section about engine temps. I posted to it yesterday, so it won't be too far down the list.

Thanks

got that hose, 15 buks shipped to door???

Seadooya,
Thanks for the offer, I wish I would have seen this prior to me paying a local dealer double.

Ok,
Three more questions:

- Could the hose be any tighter? Is it normal for it to be so hard to get connected?

- Attempting to rest for a minute, I took the water regulator off. Upon breakdown I noticed no spring located under the screw adjustment. Not sure but could this be the whole issue?

- Also, once I order the spring, when i seat the screw all the way is that 3 total rotation backed off?

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back