Oil Tank Repair or Replace?

treimche

The oil tank in my 1996 Speedster has cracked around the mounting points at the top part of the tank. I am wondering if anyone has successfully repaired cracks in this plastic? I doubt any type of sealant or 2 part epoxy will stick to the plastic since it has been holding oil for 28 years. I wonder if a guy could melt some new plastic into the cracks, sort of like plastic welding.

I did find this website with some aluminum replacement oil tanks but wasn't real thrilled about spending close to $350 on one 5052 Aluminum Oil Tank for SeaDoo Jet Boats - Speedster Sportster Challenger — Schimmel Engineering

If I was trying to repair it I would wash it out with some gas, then wash it out with some soap and water, blow it dry with compressed air, cut up some strips about 1/4” wide from an old windshield washer jug, take an iron with a flat blade and almost simultaneously run the flat iron quickly over the crack in both sides and follow right behind it with the strip. Light the strip on fire and just let it drip onto the crack. Might be easier with 2 people. When your done pressure test it and if it doesn’t hold pressure spray some soapy water over the outside while pressure testing.

Well today was cut short due to the oil light coming on 20 min into our day on the water. I just dumped a full gallon of oil in before we left too. It turns out that the bottom mounting point is now cracked and leaking also. No fixing this thing.

What options do we have for a replacement oil tank these days? SeaDoo doesn't make this thing anymore, and I've only seen a couple of aftermarket aluminum oil tanks but those are like $350+.

Try these guys for a used one

SeaDoo MPEM | Used SeaDoo MPEMs

or ebay
I forgot about Westside Powersports. I really don't want a used tank, but if it's cheap enough I'll try it out just so I can continue using my boat. They're all old and will crack, so it would be a temporary solution.

The website I linked in my first post is sold out and sounds like he won't be getting more in until next spring, unless he can get 2 more pre orders, but then its still at least 45 days for the tank to arrive here from over seas. We need another solution.

Old does not mean it will crack. Lots of factors could play into the longevity of the plastic. But when it comes to these older machines, used is often the only way to go. In any case I hope you are able to resolve the problem and keep the boat going. Cheers.

I'm dealing with the same thing. New grommets didn't fix my issue.
In theory, would something like this work?
3 Gallon 12x8x8 Aluminum Tank

T splitter the drain > 8,12mm push on fittings
Return hose can use a splitter to utilize the existing vent.
The oil level sensor would be the trickiest thing to deal with/solve?

Should we try to introduce Schimmel to Boyd? Buy the CAD from Schimmel? (Boyd lists a 10! piece custom minimum)
Edit: could use the "add sensor flange" option for the oil level sensor and valve....

Last edited:
I'm dealing with the same thing. New grommets didn't fix my issue.
In theory, would something like this work?
3 Gallon 12x8x8 Aluminum Tank

T splitter the drain > 8,12mm push on fittings
Return hose can use a splitter to utilize the existing vent.
The oil level sensor would be the trickiest thing to deal with/solve?

Should we try to introduce Schimmel to Boyd? Buy the CAD from Schimmel? (Boyd lists a 10! piece custom minimum)
Edit: could use the "add sensor flange" option for the oil level sensor and valve....
I wonder how well that one would fit. I don't think we really need 3 gallons, but then again I don't know the capacity of the original tank either.

It looks like that shop is in Ocala. I'm going to be driving by Ocala this weekend. I should see if I can stop there and see what they charge to make a tank or 10.

I thought the original is like 2 gallons and like 15x8x4. Boyd stocks 1 & 3 gallon universal. But I never fill my past half anyway since it just leaks out.

If he'll do custom; I'm in for 1, maybe two if we can get the price down enough. So only 7-8 more to go.

I thought the original is like 2 gallons and like 15x8x4. Boyd stocks 1 & 3 gallon universal. But I never fill my past half anyway since it just leaks out.

If he'll do custom; I'm in for 1, maybe two if we can get the price down enough. So only 7-8 more to go.
Any progress on an oil tank? I'm at a dead end. Had a lead on a tank out of a boat being parted out near me and it broke to pieces when he removed it.

Back