Oil change stupid move

BCSRXT260

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hi,
I changed the oil filter in my txt 260 and messed up big time. I over tightened the bolt and snapped it off way down where the threaded are. Why in Sam Hill do I do now? I couldn’t get the oil to stop seeping out of the top. Both o-rings were there. Everything looked as it should. Also there’s water in the oil and the machine has never been submerged. It’s my sons machine and I’m heartbroken.

Looks like the bolt threads directly into the PTO cover, take the ski to a machine shop and see if they can extract the bolt without taking the PTO cover off. If you check your Operators Manual you will see that the oil change is "dealer only" and that's for a reason. If you start doing dealer only maintenance at the very least download a service manual for your ski. The water in the oil could be from an improper back flush also.

Last edited:
Thank you too much. i just figured an oil change is the simplest of tasks. now i know better. improper back flush? i'm new to the jet ski world. can you explain what backflush is please.

It’s explained in your Operators Manual, they are in PDF format on the SeaDoo Website if you don’t have one. Definitely suggest you read it. It will save you $.

Was the oil milky or just water droplets? If it was milky, you've got more issues than just a broken filter screw. Possibly there's a cooling system problem via blown head gasket or something. Water won't remain in the engine from an external source (aka anything not attributable to cooling water in this case) after about 30-45 minutes of running. The water will boil off and vent as steam. If it was flushed with the engine not running, it's probably going to hydrolock when you try and start it..and possibly oil in the crankcase. Milky oil from swamping or external entry, that engine needs to be run asap to boil out the water. You can't get it all out without doing that.

The machine has 50 hours on it. I’m not sure I understand how the head gasket could be bad. I see no flakes in the coolant, and the level of the coolant hasn’t gone down

Back