New to me, few questions/advice needed - 2002 GTX RFI and 2002 GTX DI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ers906

New member of the site, and new owner of a 2002 GTX RFI (75 hours) and 2002 GTX DI (70 hours). Each has approximately had 25 hours put on since we purchased on July 9th. I am aware of the problems the 951 DI engines are known for (thanks to this forum), and am trying to take all necessary precautions to try to keep the engine as healthy as it can be for as long as possible (although I have no doubt that an engine rebuilt, not just a top end since it is a 13 year old ski, will undoubtably be needed in the future. Through this forum I have gained invaluable knowledge, since I am primarily a boat/Nautique guy. But what the kids wanted, the kids got (thanks to their mother's and grandfather's persistence, and my wallet unfortunately). I have already purchased the parts manuals and shop guides for both models, drained the fuel and old oil out and replaced it with new SeaDoo XP-S synthetic (although the previous owner used the same, figure new oil would be better than old). I replaced the plugs, made sure the compression was within the norm, etc. I have also began disconnecting the batteries when placing on the chargers so I do not blow out the electrical. I am planning on cleaning the RAVE valves (already ordered the O-rings, bellows -if needed-), and am planning on changing the jet pump oil and possibly the wear rings (if needed, although there is no noticeable cavitation with either ski). I have also started fogging the engines after each outing. Primarily I just wanted to thank the members of this forum for making their knowledge available to us new owners.

I do have one question regarding the Jet Pump assembly. According to the parts manual, there is a neoprene ring/seal for the GTX DI that is compressed against the hull and the impeller housing. However, there does not appear to be a corresponding part in the parts manual for the GTX RFI. Is this correct? I appears that the pump support only has shims between itself and the hull. I assume that if this is true then you would want to use silicone sealant (I believe that they suggest Loctite 5900 as the sealant of choice in most thru-hull situations).

One other questions regarding the adjustment of the idle speed on the GTX DI. I have adjusted the idle screw in the RFI (I had to use blue loctite to hold the screw in place because the idle speed kept increasing after the kids rode the ski, please let me know if this is ill-advised, although it seems to be working without issue), but cannot seem to find one in the DI. I know these engines are a PITA to work on, but I just wanted to be prepared if the same happens to this ski. I keep meaning to look it up in the shop manual, however, I am typing this at work and did not bring it will me.

Furthermore, any other maintenance advice of either of these PWCs would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back