Status
Not open for further replies.

moredana

I need an opinion

I Have 2 97 XP's and had no major issues with them for 5 years

minor repairs
- steering cable
- vts module

Only use the bomby seadoo mineral oil - I run regular fuel (because I didn't know better - premium forever more).....
Approx 300 hours on each machine (not much jumping or spinning - mostly touring at 30mph)

Having RAVE Valves replaced, carb's cleaned, some fix to the exhaust on 1 xp and, machines winterized right now

What is the life span for a 1997 XP? I would also prefer to avoid ripping some guy off if they turn out to be crap 2 months later

What type of major repairs lie ahead?

Thanks very much

What's your compression? Probably the best indicator of the general condition of a motor. BTW you are using the wrong oil you should be using full synthetic, and regular gas is O.K.

Lou

A "leak down" whatever that is was done - and was told all was good - compression was in right spectrum

Should I change oil now though after 15 years with another type?

Those are near the end..you should sell em now while they are worth $500 for the pair.......when can i get em?

:lol:

If you're using SeaDoo oil, unless it's old stock you're probably using synthetic blend, except for needing to clean your rave valves more often it won't hurt your engine.

Your engine(s) should be good for about 400 hours, but of course that's an estimate. Also it would help if we knew the exact compression, generally 150psi is spec., 135 to 140 is O.K., 120psi or less its time for a rebuild.

Lou

If you still enjoy them and it would only cost a rebuild in the near future, why sell? Compared to the cost of a new one, a rebuild seems wallet friendly.
If your just ready for something different and want to sell while you still can, then clean them up, buff that gelcoat and toss an ad on craigslist. Disregard RFoster (nothing personal) up there, seadoos carry a good resell in your latitude. If they run fine and look pretty good, you could easily sell them for $4000 or a little less down here. I see them listed for more all the time.

Kevin

I was being sarcastic, hence the smiley face. Honestly, if it were me, i would keep em.

I'd keep 'um. The way you have cared for them even if you have to rebuild in a year or two, you still have two great skis of a model you can no longer get (or anything like it) and receive many more years of confident fun on them.

EDIT: Oh, yeah you can change up to full synthetic from Mineral, you just can't go backwards.

+1 for keeping them. Unless the hull design isn't up your alley anymore and just want something bigger to cruise on.

But, if you've enjoyed them for 5 years and still enjoy them, even if you do have to rebuild them, they'll keep a fair amount of value because of how desirable they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back