My entire crankcase is full of fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

impalaman

I rebuilt the carbs on my otherwise perfectly running 197.5 hr GTX this spring
and to my surprise it RPM'd to 7000 rpm for the hole shot on take-off then settled to 5000 @30 mph. PTO plug fouled some what.
I pulled the carbs to check the issue w/PTO carb and I found that the entire bottom of the motor was filled w/gas.I mean FILLED to OVERFLOWING!!
I had to pull the balance shaft plug to get the gas out,but there is some left @lowest part of motor.I still smell like gas...mmmmm love it
Do I have to pull the motor an tip it on end?I changed the fuel lines on the carbs.I don't thinlk that I mixed the lines up??
Could I have really wrecked the motor?

Turn the fuel off, and crank the engine with the plugs out. You should be able to get most of the fuel out. Once it's clear, then drain the counter balance, and refill it with oil.

Once you get new oil in the CB, then get it started to purge the rest of the oil out.

Needless to say, you need to find out why the carbs are pouring fuel into the engine.

when you did the carb rebuild... did you use aftermarket kits, or factory Mikini kits? If you used aftermarket kits... the diaphragms need replaced with mikuni parts. Some of the import kits (especially from Windrosa) have diaphragms that are too stiff, and the pin in the center is too long.

Check and replace the needles & seats in the carbs. The only way the crankcase fills with fuel is through a leaking needle & seat.

Chester

To all those interested,I miss routed one of the fuel lines on the side of the carbs,thereby pressure feeding the motor and blowing the needle off it's seat=free flowing gas through the ventury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back