GTX RFI resonator delete ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoovler814

I've picked up a 99 GTX RFI and the PO melted the resonators. I've searched a few threads and most pictures are gone, but it seems everyone uses the thruhull and the hose from a 98 XPL. Is that correct? It seems like it'd work but am looking for a definite answer since it seems you can't buy that exhaust hose from online vendors. I've patched the resonators and replaced the water reg on water box and it runs nice and cool now......but I'd rather not have "patched" resonators, I'd feel better to just get rid of all three.

TIA

Thanks for the picture. It looks like you're still running the bottom resonator? I'm looking to get rid of all three. I'm probably gonna have to do a custom hose setup. There's a 96 gti in my shop right now and the hose to get across would probably work but will require something right before the thruhull. As I understand there was a company back in the day that sold a complete kit......Wish I could figure out exactly what they used.

just the one with the water valve on it -- maybe call it a muffler ??? water box ??? you need that one, on the pass side of ski ....ill look in garage, i think there is a part number on hose

I can't believe they used those resonators like that.. I mean if they came out like any normal part and were easy to change, OK, but even with that they are still a potential gaping hole of water and smoke. By-passing is the way to go IMHO. Should have been a OEM by-pass :thumbsup:

Grizz....Whats your hose do right beside the negative battery cable? It looks like the pipe changes to a different style..I'm looking for a hose that will go from the waterbox to the thruhull elbow at the back of the ski. I'm not gonna have patched resonators and sure as heck not spending hundreds to replace something that really isn't needed.

Grizz....Whats your hose do right beside the negative battery cable? It looks like the pipe changes to a different style..I'm looking for a hose that will go from the waterbox to the thruhull elbow at the back of the ski. I'm not gonna have patched resonators and sure as heck not spending hundreds to replace something that really isn't needed.

I'm with ya hoovler. I don't know what that whole resonator was about, but it could have been about noise. Right when I left the SeaDoo business, there was a big movement to shut down the use of the PWC's, the feds and state had whiny folks making a BIG stink out of the noise and I keep thinking that there was an attempt to quiet them down, which effectively turned them into 4-strokes. In any case, it isn't needed by any means.

i cut off end of resonator, then sawed in two with a sawzall, turned it how i needed it and welded it all back up, sorta sawed the s shaped end, made 2 pieces and then turned it how i needed it ......worked for over 2 years now ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back