Drive Shaft Removal Issue!!!... HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdngs

My son was riding our 1996 GTi Sea Doo and it was running great for the first time out for the year. Then suddenly something was grinding and he lost all forward momentum. Engine would run but a lot of grinding and you could hear something was broke.

After a bit of investigation i found that something broke between the front end of the drive shaft where it enters the engine (PTO??) After removing everything so that i can remove the drive shaft, i found that i can push and pull the drive shaft fore and aft about three quarter of an inch and rotate it almost 360 degrees, but i'm totally unable to pull the drive shaft out of the engine.

in the driveway i can run the engine and you can see that the drive shaft where it exits the engine it's grinding and the drive shaft barely spins at all...

Help!!... i need to get this thing back on the water this year..

Scott

just had this issue... youll most likely need the whole drive shaft assembly...

sounds like you stripped the shaft...

wasnt a very hard job my first time ever touching a jetski... just dont forget to lock tight the bolts, and grease everything up....

i forgot to lock tite the jet pump bolts, they fell out, lost the cone, and have had a leak since then. :(

theres a circlip the keeps it all locked together thats a pain to get out, but once you get it out its a breeze

whats this c -clip?

i figured i would need the whole drive shaft assembly, just need to get this thing out!! UGH!

I've took the clamps off the rubber bellows, i was also able to push the stainless steel collar rearward enough to be able to remove the shaft.

the darn thing seam to be stuck in the back of the engine!..

Last edited by a moderator:
whats this circlip?

i figured i would need the whole drive shaft assembly, just need to get this thing out!! UGH!

trust me these things are a pain i been ripping my hair out lately, and everything i do is apparently wrong.... ran the hose to it for a minute with the engine off... :'(

http://fiche.seadoowarehouse.com/se...make=seadoopwc&a=272&b=24&c=0&d=-DRIVE-SYSTEM

yours looks easier then mine... but once everything is off it should just slide out.. doesnt look like yours has the circlip either

You may need to remove the drive shaft and PTO as an assembly. Remove the PTO side spark plug, make sure the piston is not TDC, and stuff some cotton rope in the cylinder, a foot of so should do it. This will lock the engine, use a pair of chain vice grips turning the PTO counter clockwise. I may take a pipe wrench on the part of the PTO where the drive shaft attaches to loosen the PTO.

You will most likely need to replace the PTO and the drive shaft.

Lou

Thanks for the link.. That's it!

Everything is loose and pulled apart, just can't get the drive shaft out of the engine.

I can pushed the drive shaft forward, twist it left and right but when i pull rearward it engages with something it does come out.

Thanks for the link.. That's it!

Everything is loose and pulled apart, just can't get the drive shaft out of the engine.

I can pushed the drive shaft forward, twist it left and right but when i pull rearward it engages with something it does come out.

yea im not sure, as this one is a little different then mine, looks easier tho. just make sure you stick to the drawing 100% anywhere it says grease or lock tite, do not forget to put it on.. i did and it just caused me grief on grief, but in the end its pretty easy fix, just keep the manual by you at all times, which i did not lol

Thanks Lou... that's where i think im going to be going.

The round PTO can be removed? How tight would this thing be on there?

Ans what the heck does PTO stand for?.. to me it looks more like a flywheel. So i can start looking for a replacement.

Thanks Lou... that's where i think im going to be going.

The round PTO can be removed? How tight would this thing be on there?

Ans what the heck does PTO stand for?.. to me it looks more like a flywheel. So i can start looking for a replacement.

PTO = Power Take Off

minnetonka4me should have everything you need. PM him on this forum.

Lou

If its like my 99...you may have a circlip under your carbon seal on the driveshaft.....you'll need to push the collar on the driveshaft back and remove the clip. I had to do it this way because my impeller was seized to the drivshaft.

On my 96 XP I was trying to remove the driveshaft and couldn't pull it out for the life of me. Apparently the previous owner didn't grease it hardly ever, so after exhausting all options trying to pull it out, I pumped the pto full of grease and the driveshaft popped out itself and I could pull it out

You may need to remove the drive shaft and PTO as an assembly. Remove the PTO side spark plug, make sure the piston is not TDC, and stuff some cotton rope in the cylinder, a foot of so should do it. This will lock the engine, use a pair of chain vice grips turning the PTO counter clockwise. I may take a pipe wrench on the part of the PTO where the drive shaft attaches to loosen the PTO.

You will most likely need to replace the PTO and the drive shaft.

I had the same problem on mine tried just replacing the shaft it lasted 5 mins and stripped out. Replace the PTO also

Well i was able to take the PTO off without much issue with a pipe wrench and a small 4' pipe.

The issue that i have is how do i get the PTO and the drive shaft out of the Doo from the inside out without removing the engine?

Scott

Well from the way it sounds you're probably going to need to replace the drive shaft and PTO anyway, so just cut the drive shaft.

Lou

If he cuts it, then how does the new one get installed with the motor in place?

Can the shaft be taken out or installed though "in the hull" fitting hole.

Or am I just missing something here. I've never removed one as you probably already figured out.

Well i finally got some time to get back at this thing.

I tried pretty much everything to get the drive shaft out of the PTO after i took it off the engine and that thing wouldn't move at all. So i broke down and cut the drive shaft to get it off and now i can see that there wasn't anyway that those two pieces were coming apart.

So i believe the repair list is going to be something like this..
drive shaft
PTO
rubber seals/boots

Question: where would be the best place to look for these new or used... used would be good based on the age and the amount we use this thing.

thoughts??

Once the splines are distorted, it can become difficult to pull the driveshaft from the PTO splines. Most likely this happens due to lack of lubrication, I guess engine crankshaft out of alignment with the pump by a small amount can also cause spline binding and rapid wear.

It looks like I will be doing this same type of repair myself... was out all day on the lake with two other people... as they were getting the trailer i was out about half throttle letting her "clean herself up some" and i hit a small wake of a passing boat and it just STOPPED!... engine was still running BUT i wasn't going any where and it had a scratchy squeal... almost sounds like a bad bearing on something... So i assume my drive shaft splines are shot or etc... I did also notice a missing bolt (1 of the 4 on the nozzle gate)... Looks like its parts buying time and time to check all the bolts again and re-apply loctite...

I've seen some horror stories on here where the shaft is a pain to remove... hopefully mine falls right out... heres hoping... Hopefully this is the only issue and is a quick turn around...

Seems the shafts are failing at a pretty consistent rate,,,

I have a 2003 Sportster LE that I just bout about a month or so ago... I had to replace a broken RAVE valve spring and keep her filled with oil and gas until now. Its pretty clean inside and out and for a ten year old boat I could expect this i guess... I just pray to God that the thing comes apart easy. I assume for new shaft and seals and etc I'm probably looking at $200 minimum for a DIY job...

Well i finally got some time to get back at this thing.

I tried pretty much everything to get the drive shaft out of the PTO after i took it off the engine and that thing wouldn't move at all. So i broke down and cut the drive shaft to get it off and now i can see that there wasn't anyway that those two pieces were coming apart.

So i believe the repair list is going to be something like this..
drive shaft
PTO
rubber seals/boots

Question: where would be the best place to look for these new or used... used would be good based on the age and the amount we use this thing.

thoughts??

Inspect the carbon seal and SS ring. Personally I would just replace it because it is apart anyways, but its up to you. OSD carries a heavy duty kit that works real good. Comes with the C clips and orings as a kit
http://osdparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_free_shipping_info&cPath=2&products_id=4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back