DESS Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranga97

Hey guys, I have come up with an idea of modifying a key so that non-DESS lanyards work.
My concept is based of the fact that the key is read wirelessly by the MPEM, and therefore the actual key that is programmed doesnt have to be the one shorting the DESS post, am I correct?
So if i was to attach the real programmed key inside the ski somewhere (where it will not be lost) and used a normal non-DESS to short the post it would recognise it as a real key and start as usual... Am I correct?
Thanks

It is not read wirelessly
Well I guess it is, isn't it read by a magnetic strip when the key is attached to the post.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your concept here

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I thought if I had the key inside the ski where the magnet reader could read it, then I could just use any standard key over the post to start it.

The DESS key is not like your car's key fob. It has no battery nor brain or any other way to link to the mpem.

I think that in order to do what your are talking about you would have to solder two wires to the two metal parts inside the good key. Those two wires would go to the dess post and mpem. Then use another key that only has a magnet inside and no metal tab's. That would activate the magnetic switch inside the post.

Really its only the two metal connections that create the connection between the key's chip and the mpem. If there was no magnet inside the key to pull the post's switch closed then the mpem would just never wake up and read the key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having only one rotting away key or no dealer to program a new one would be my guess.

I assure you that my XP did not have wifi :)

if your lanyard is bad, tonka has lanyards. he's replaced several rotted lanyards for me.

Hes just worried about losing a key...at least thats how Im reading it.

I -think- it may work. you would have the white/grey hooked up from the DESS post, then the blk and blk/yel hooked to a regular teather setup. Ive had the white wire get broken and it beeps like the key isnt reading correctly.

Okay thanks for the replies, so its not really worth the effort? I suppose it would worth just getting another key programmed for $100, thanks again

Unfortunatly being in Aussie land if you cant find someone that can do it cheap then yes. Hell those seadoo non dess posts break all the time I typically get $50 for those suckers!

I do programming for $20, new aftermarket keys are $35....then shipping.

Hes just worried about losing a key...at least thats how Im reading it.

I -think- it may work. you would have the white/grey hooked up from the DESS post, then the blk and blk/yel hooked to a regular teather setup. Ive had the white wire get broken and it beeps like the key isnt reading correctly.

I believe Minnetonka is correct, and I think it will probably work. I have not personally confirmed this though.

kill-switch-keys-jag.jpgwell [MENTION=73181]ranga97[/MENTION] , to be honest, even the non-dess posts can be temperamental as [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] mentioned. I thought I had blown my MPEM one day bc I left the battery IN and CONNECTED while charging it with a tender. mainly I thought I blew it, bc my key was fairly new and it didn't work, but it did have some cracking, so when I TRIED the Yamaha type (along with the other 10 plus lanyard adapters) those didn't work either, (the one with the 3 prong, the OMC Johnson Evinrude one dead center in this pic) and then I REALLY thought I blew it, and as a last ditch effort I ordered a new replacement $10 and change lanyard from SBT, and wallah! fired right up.

The yamaha ones fail all the time. You have to leave the teather on the post all the time or they will quit working.

DESS can be bypassed using a MSD Enhancer. Expensive but any lanyard starts machine ( racer dork trick). Little history here..Seadoo had a lanyard issue causing lanyards to be warmed before working. Thats why some times a hot breath blow makes dess recognize. Seadoos breathalyzer you may say.lol

The mpem doesn't read the lanyard code wirelessly, it reads it through the two contacts on the post, there is a magnet in the lanyard cap that closes a switch in the post to let the mpem know that there is a key on the post. You could hard wire a lanyard to the post wiring, and then use an old style switch to complete the circuit I guess.

Can a mpem be programed to accept any d.e.s.s. key?

to make sure the responses are clear on that....

you must program the specific key to the mpem, think of it like a car key, it will fit your ford, not everybody's ford, but you can have 3 identical keys to fit your ford.

you cannot program the mpem to not care which key is plugged in, or "any key"

but you can program multiple key's to the specific mpem, or even say 2 mpem's to the same key code, and have multiple keys that interchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back