DESS Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] program the mpems from both of my skis to use four different keys. That way, when we jump back and forth between skis, we can keep the keys attached to our vests. We also have spare keys that will work on either ski. WELL worth the little money and time it takes to send him the keys and MPEMs. The winter is a great time to have it done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

not that it matters, but i'm NOT a fan of the DESS in any way.... I get the idea, its a deterrent: but to be honest, prior to DESS I would only say that very few ski's were being stolen at the boat ramp where the owner took the key with them, left the ski unattended, and a person showed up with a generic ski and drove off. now maybe back then programmers were not common at all and your average thief would avoid stealing a SD knowing that they couldn't program it at the dealer.

These days its just a big fat pain in the azz.... (duly noted: I've personally never lost a key, but I have bought several used Doo's where the key was no where to be found, punishing the owner more than a thief) I never minded much as a buyer, its a bargaining chip so it drop's the value down much more than the cost of programming, but it also means you don't know if the MPEM is any good at time of purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
to make sure the responses are clear on that....

you must program the specific key to the mpem, think of it like a car key, it will fit your ford, not everybody's ford, but you can have 3 identical keys to fit your ford.

you cannot program the mpem to not care which key is plugged in, or "any key"

but you can program multiple key's to the specific mpem, or even say 2 mpem's to the same key code, and have multiple keys that interchange.

thank you for clearing that up, i knew that more keys could be programed to a mpem. I wasn't sure if there was a way to turn the dess system off so that i could use anyones key on my ski or buy a new key without programing it. i also agree that the d.e.s.s. system is a pain, my skis never leave my sight and it would be nice to be able to switch skis without swaping keys. I almost lost my key twice this year while taking a break from riding which would have left me stranded.

There is a way to turn it off...but it takes a race programmer to do so. There's only a couple left in Existence. I was also told the Can-doo can do it, but I do not know that for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back