dead 96 spx

Status
Not open for further replies.

naticen

a couple months ago i rolled my ski and it wouldn't start again. i cleaned out the intake because it had some water in it put in new plugs and charged the battery because it was pretty dead. now it died while i was out and the battery was dead so i put in new plugs and recharged it. now it will run rough if i give it half throttle. when it died it kept on cutting to half power then back to normal while i was giving full throttle then just completely died and wouldnt start. both times it would barely crank an d the battery was pretty dead. i don't know why the battery keeps dying an d now it still barely runs after i charged the battery. an y help would be great. thank you

Sorry, missed your post!

Welcome to the forum Naticen!....sorry, this post got by me. It happens sometimes when it gets busy. If you post and don't get a response within 24 hours, please reply to the post again, so it will bump you up to a fresh start.

If you have a good battery and it keeps going dead, it's usually your rectifier/regulator. But if you rolled the ski over, and got a lot of water in the hull, then you may have taken on water in your magneto. Look on the front of your motor, you'll see a 1" square plug. That's your wires coming from your magneto that sends electricity to your doo while it's running and also, to the battery for keeping it charged.
You can do this. If you have a multi meter, charge the battery up. Take a reading. It should be a little over 12vdc. Then, start your PWC. As soon as it starts running, go take a reading on your battery. You should get a reading of 14 vdc or just a little over. If not, then you have a charging problem.
Oh yeah, did you check all your fuses in your electrical box?

It does sound like the wiring got wet. I would do as seadoo snipe says and also stray the wiring with wd-40 to displace any water that might be hidden in the wiring shadows.

appreciate it

i have been working non stop lately so i havent had much time to check but it has 12+ volts at the battery and i got it to run while giving throttle for about 30 seconds and it slowly climbed to 13.5 before it died. mine is a round plug with four wires going into the top and the white one is not connected. how do i check inside the magneto. if i break the seal on the front do i need a new gasket or rtv maybe. i am an auto mechanic so i feel competent but im just scared to ruin something since its a water craft.
thank you much

Broken wire.....

It sounds like one of your phase wires might be broken. The magneto is split into 3 sections....but you should be able to remove the plug on the front of the magneto to see if you can put that wire back in.....
But yeah, if your familar with "blue glue"....RTV or whatever it's called now day, you will be fine!............I use the Permatex brand. There really isn't anything you can hurt, if your a mechanic, imagine the magneto on your old B & S lawnmower engine.....it's about the same thing.
Might be a good idea to pull it and take a look. You'll probably have to use a mirror to see it. It's not necessary to pull the oil pump to get it off, but you'll pretty much have to pull it to put it back on. To line up that little oil shaft while trying to put the cover back on is pretty much impossible.......good luck.:cheers:

oil pump

the guy i bought the ski from said he had the whole top end rebuilt a year ago because one of the oil lines collapsed and burned out the head. i was plannin on just mixing my own gas so that i don't have to worry about that. i was wondering the proper way to disable the oil pump since i'm nearby now anyways. can i just pull that shaft out or is there more too it?

Shaft....

Nope, that's pretty much it. Just remove the shaft and block off the lines. But you still have to leave that oil tank in place, filled with oil for the rotary chamber, between the two pistons........:cheers:

well.. its dead dead

i still didn't get to the magneto because i dont have the tool to get the flywheel off but i checked and the rear cylinder has no compression. the first time it died from water in the motor i had to leave it sit on the island it died on for a day before i could get it towed back and i guess it ruined the rings sitting there. now my question is what to do next. i'm still not sure about the magneto and the battery dying so if i rebuild the motor i might still have a problem there. how much work and money is it for all of my options. i guess long block or rebuild or its a 96 spx so maybe get a good deal on another ski. help please.

Mystery oil.....

If you flooded the cylinder and your rings are just sticking, then this is what they make Marvel Mystery oil for. Get a few cap fulls and pour into the top of the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Let it sit overnight, then roll it over with the spark plugs out. Then, when all the oil is blown out, check the compression then. You can do this a few times. It doesn't always work on the first or second attempt.
If you elect to do an upper end rebuild, you can get the cylinders, pistons and rings for about $450 or a long block for about $750 to $800.
Oh, you don't need a special tool to take off the magneto cover and stator. Just remove the bolts....but if you got a dead cylinder, that will be the first thing that needs attention. But with the same token, if the flooding is what killed your cylinder, then you need to get that cover off the magneto and see if water got to it......:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back