dead battery or bad rectifier?

I would do compression check myself, to verify, oily residue around raves can be normal, they build up oil over time, if not maintained over the years.. Anything below 110 is rebuild time IMO. If the bottom is good it isn't that much to do a top end rebuild.

Id definitely check the compression yourself with a good tester, if you dont have one i think you can as a auto parts store or like a shop.

I would do compression check myself, to verify, oily residue around raves can be normal, they build up oil over time, if not maintained over the years.. Anything below 110 is rebuild time IMO. If the bottom is good it isn't that much to do a top end rebuild.
unfortunately I went ahead and had them check further into the issue after compression test fail (70 psi on pto 100 on the other). The mechanic said they did a leak test and it's leaking at 80%, torn it down further and noted rattling that sounds like the crank bearing and he can see some discoloration on the thrust washers and rods. Engine had approx 230 hrs on it... I hear these get usually between 200-300, so I think it's maybe just time it bit the dust? Best option I guess is a refurb engine, not sure best place to get one? any advice is appreciated. Sucks we lost a 98 Gsx Ltd today but I am dead set on reviving it.

unfortunately I went ahead and had them check further into the issue after compression test fail (70 psi on pto 100 on the other). The mechanic said they did a leak test and it's leaking at 80%, torn it down further and noted rattling that sounds like the crank bearing and he can see some discoloration on the thrust washers and rods. Engine had approx 230 hrs on it... I hear these get usually between 200-300, so I think it's maybe just time it bit the dust? Best option I guess is a refurb engine, not sure best place to get one? any advice is appreciated. Sucks we lost a 98 Gsx Ltd today but I am dead set on reviving it.
Welp thats too bad hopefully you can get your ski up and running again soon!!
only as soon as I can get a new engine.. which at this point might be a year or two. In the mean time.. well I guess I have a good excuse to go look at some new seadoos.. dont hate one me but the spark trixx looks pretty fun.

well my dudes... thanks for all the help and advice but it turns out the engine on this one is just game over end of life. Pistons are dinged up and compression s low. Funny how all that happened after fuel line and carb replacement.. not sure what got in there. In the mean time I went and bought a 2024 spark trixx to solve the problem. I still have one working 98 gsx ltd with the new trixx on the trailer. Next year I will try to get a new engine into the broken 98 gsx and fix her back up. Between the trixx and the 98 gsx ltd, I can tell you so far the gsx 98 is faster and has more torque / pop. You cant do water wheelies as easily on the 98 gsx ltd.. but if I had a choice to pick one or the other I think I would go with the trixx only for reliability purpose, but in the end the 98 gsx ltd are more fun.

Back