Cavitation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlester

I just bought a 2004 Seadoo 4-Tec sportster. Had it out 4 times. The second time, it would rev high, but only go 10 mph. Got it out of the water, filled it up with gas and some seafoam, went back to the lake, and it worked fine. Worked fine the 3rd time out. 4th time, worked fine most of the day, then the last hour, more cavitation. Took it to a Seadoo dealer. Today they tell me that they have to replace the impeller and wear ring. Said that they both are garbage.

Why would the impeller and wear ring wear out? We treated this boat with baby gloves ever since we got it. Is it just because it is 7 years old and that is why they wore out?

Somebody please help me understand why this happened to me.

Hey.Post some pics on here if you can.Look at all the threads on this subject.You will save a bucket of money.the guys here know MORE than the dealers.I know this from experience.

wear ring and impeller will need service especially if it's never been done!! Over time you will suck up sand, shells, rocks, sticks...and the list goes on, every time that stuff goes through your impeller and wear ring it will cause damage to the point you will have cavitation. It's normal for jetboats, just look at it as general maintenance!! Wear rings are pretty cheap to do, and depending on the condition of the impeller most of the time they can be re-conditioned for under $100. If your impeller has too much damage, don't let the dealer replace it..it will cost you a small fortune. Buy an aftermarket Solas for under $300 and have them install it, it will improve your holeshot!!

I wish I would have read this sooner. It is costing me $609.95 to have the impeller and wear ring replaced. Lesson learned, I guess.

I am surprised that there isn't something to prevent foreign matter from entering into the propulsion system itself.

I have had this boat for less than 2 months, and I am a complete novice when it comes to anything dealing with the boat. When the guy at the shop told me that my boat was cavitating, he may as well have been talking to me in Russian.

Thanks for the info.

I wish I would have read this sooner. It is costing me $609.95 to have the impeller and wear ring replaced. Lesson learned, I guess.

I am surprised that there isn't something to prevent foreign matter from entering into the propulsion system itself.

I have had this boat for less than 2 months, and I am a complete novice when it comes to anything dealing with the boat. When the guy at the shop told me that my boat was cavitating, he may as well have been talking to me in Russian.

Thanks for the info.

WOW...$609.00!!! Sorry...but your shop is really giving it to you. Best impeller for your boat would be the Solas, just don't know the pitch you would need. Any chance of calling the shop to hold off on the work?? You would save yourself some money and do a great modification to your boat if you supplied a Solas impeller!!

So you are telling me that the Solas impeller is better than the stock one that they would normally install?

I will call them on Tuesday to see if they can hold it off. However, when I go to the Solas site and click on the Impeller Finder link, I get:

Microsoft JET Database Engine 錯誤 '80004005'

磁碟沒有足夠的空間。

/newweb/pwcproduct/search/include/menu.asp, 列23

On iboats.com, there is an impeller for my boat costing $262.99. This is my first boat, so I don't know if that is a good price or not.

As far as the shop giving it to me, I don't have a choice. They are the only Seadoo shop in my area.

Last edited by a moderator:
A solas impeller will give you a much better holeshot on your boat!! Definitely will be an upgrade over a stock impeller.

OK. It would increase my takeoff speed. Other than that, what can you tell me about it? Is it more durable? Is it cheaper? Is $262.99 for Srx-Cd-14/19 Solas Concord impeller cheaper than a stock impeller? Am I going to be replacing this every year or 2?

About the $609.99 price being expensive... Lets say that I got a Solas impeller for $262.99 and a wear ring for, lets say, $40... $609.99 - $302.99 = $307.00 I don't know what the going rate is for labor. I mean, sure, I could save a lot of money if I knew how to install these by myself, but whenever I try to save money by doing it myself, I have a 50/50 chance of really screwing it up and having it cost more to fix my mistake.

I am looking to see if there is anyone in the area that sells the Srx-Cd-14/19 Solas Concord impeller. That would be great if I could grab one and have them install it, but for all I know, they may have already started working on it.

OK. It would increase my takeoff speed. Other than that, what can you tell me about it? Is it more durable? Is it cheaper? Is $262.99 for Srx-Cd-14/19 Solas Concord impeller cheaper than a stock impeller? Am I going to be replacing this every year or 2?

About the $609.99 price being expensive... Lets say that I got a Solas impeller for $262.99 and a wear ring for, lets say, $40... $609.99 - $302.99 = $307.00 I don't know what the going rate is for labor. I mean, sure, I could save a lot of money if I knew how to install these by myself, but whenever I try to save money by doing it myself, I have a 50/50 chance of really screwing it up and having it cost more to fix my mistake.

I am looking to see if there is anyone in the area that sells the Srx-Cd-14/19 Solas Concord impeller. That would be great if I could grab one and have them install it, but for all I know, they may have already started working on it.

Labour for replacing a wear ring and impeller shouldn't be anymore then 2 hours max!! Impellers don't need to be replaced unless you suck up something that damages it. Another option is to have your stock impeller repaired, usually will cost about $70.00

Most important thing is to find out if your shop has started on the work or if they ordered a new impeller...if they haven't yet I would seriously think about some of the above options.....aftermarket Solas or send out your impeller for repair, either way you will still come in cheaper then the $609.00 quoted to you.

I picked up my boat today from the shop. The guy at the shop showed me the impeller. It just looked like a lawn mower blade after hitting a couple of rocks before you sharpen it! WTF? The wear ring was really messed up though. I asked him about getting it repaired. He told me that it cost about $150 and it takes a few weeks after sending it out. Where can I get it repaired for $70 so the next time something happens, I can change it myself?

I asked him about the Solas impeller. He said that it improves the hole-shot in a jet-ski but no improvement on a boat. I don't think he knew what he was talking about.

Nice colors on your boat.
Glad you picked up your boat before being ripped off.
The nickname for dealers on this site is "stealerships" if you get the drift of things.
Dr. Honda has made 2 tools for removing and replacing the wear rings. $60 shipped to you.
Search the forum under "impellers" and "wear rings".
There is a "how to" on both somewhere on here.
Good luck, Tim

The only tool you need for removing and replacing the wear ring is an impeller removal tool. The tools Dr Honda has (I have a set) is for removing and installing pump bearings. Also the tools he has is for 2-stroke SeaDoo's you have a 4-tek.

You probably need to get specific information from a 4-tek guy, my expertise is in 2-stroke. I was just answering so you don't buy tools you don't need.

Also there's a good possibility that your impeller is O.K., the wear ring's purpose is to wear and save the impeller, I would suggest that you post a picture to see if you really need to replace it.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back