Can some one help me...I've got a Seadoo jetski - 1998 model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe 1955

I would like to know what that connection plug thing is between the two spark plug caps on the motor. What is for, and if it accidentally comes of while in use ,does it affect performance. Thank you

Welcome to the forum.....

Joe, that's a good question!...You don't state what model your 1998 ski is, there were two different model engines made that year. But if I'm thinking about what your thinking about (offset a little to the side at the exhaust manifold), that little piece of metal is your grounding lug and is used to put your spark plug wires on while not in use or while testing. The electrical surge from your coils should be discharged through those lugs if your working on the system. If you don't, you could damage your electrical system. But if its gone, just make sure you lay the plugs across the engine, they'll find a ground when you roll it over..........
That's it?.........boy, that was the easiest question I had in a long time!
Thanks for asking and please remember, there is no question to small if you need an answer. Nothing !:cheers:

I think he is talking about that sensor on top of the head between the spark plugs. On my 96XP, it is closer to the rear plug, and has a small wire attached to it. A small blade connector sticking out the top...

I assume it is the engine temp sensor, but don't know either. It comes off really easily. I need to crimp down on the connector so it fits more tightly.

A picture of yours would help narrow it down.

Snipe, are you referring to those two tabs near where the spark plug wires come out from the coils on my 787? Do the spark plugs need to be grounded at all times when turning over the motor without the plugs attached? I do this all the time, but usually just pull the spark plugs and take them completely out/detached from the wires and all...hope i am not messing something up...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the plug caps should be connected to the ground studs when ever the caps are off the plugs. If you accidentally turn over the engine it won't overload the electrical system and cause more problems.

To answer Joe's question I beleive that it is the temp senser he is asking about. It indicates that the engine is getting hot by sending a impuse single to the Mpem (Multi Purpose Electronic Module), and the beeper, to warn it is getting hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify...

...because I do this all the time...

If I pull the spark plugs out, to put some miracle oil in (I do this at the end of each weekend now, in case I don't run the ski for another week or 6), I always pull the plugs, drop in a little oil, and then turn the key maybe 3 or 6 revolutions just to get the oil distributed in the cylinders.

When I do this, I should put the plugs in the wires and ground them to these posts?

I have just been pulling the plugs and running it a few rotations with the plug wires hanging wherever they are laying...

Scott, what happens when you just let the plug wires hang, and they are not grounded, is that electrical charge loads up in the ignition coils and can't be discharged because there isn't a ground to release it. You should always plug the plug caps on the grounding stud to release the charge and not have it stored in the components.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back