Please help fact check me on cutting off issue

If you went through all this, you should just get a new (or used) cylinder head and keep it. It seems like it works right until the jerry rigged seal fails, so getting a new head with a new seal would solve all your problems.

If you went through all this, you should just get a new (or used) cylinder head and keep it. It seems like it works right until the jerry rigged seal fails, so getting a new head with a new seal would solve all your problems.
Lol, you're a horrible influencer... It's not just the head I would need, i already changed that. it would be a whole top end. Both jugs are warped, which i discovered in an attempt to fix the leaks. So now I'd have to do the whole top end. lowest cost I'm seeing top ends with jugs is $800 after tax. I said $1200 total because I added another $400 for little stuff that pops up when going certain job, like the muffler seal kit, silicone and other bad things that can happen. I've already spent $200 at a machine shop to remove bolts I've broke that I couldn't get out of the threads on this thing. I'd prefer to get a whole different engine because this things so corroded that I just don't trust it. if the jugs are that warped and falling apart, the bottom end may be just as bad. remember, I already changed the head covers because it was falling apart.

So the mission was a failure... I'm leaning towards POPPS assessment... I put the ski on water and for 40 minutes she ran perfectly. She was hitting speeds she's never seen, 45mph. I checked the engine and the seals were holding and she felt like a beast. I said I'd give her another 20 minutes before calling it a success. At around 20 minutes I noticed I lost 2 mph... ok, I figured let's keep going, must be the wind, maybe it increased and is slowing me down. 10 minutes later, my top speed was 40mph. The next thing I knew, she cut off and wouldn't start like before. I checked the engine and noticed the silicone seal failed and she was seeping water out again from the head cylinder.

I think it's something with the engine like POPPS noted, but im officially done with her, she up for sale for what ever i can get for her. I bought another ski a few weeks back to enjoy the water so Im going to look at this expereince in this manner: "I spent around $2500 on a ski that taught me a whole lot about working on PWC's." I spent $40,000 on a college education so this was a deal.

Here's a pic of my new toy that's keeping me from crying, lol
Lol this is why I have my SPX and a GP1800. Its always nice to have a reliable one around for the inevitable.

Plus the only reason I wanted to finish it after buying my other ski was to give someone with financial limits, the chance to have something reliable to enjoy the sport plus i enjoy wrenching. i was always going to sell it after I bought the second ski, and accepted I was taking a lost.

Lol this is why I have my SPX and a GP1800. Its always nice to have a reliable one around for the inevitable.
lol, so long story short. I used to be big at wrenching and my last house looked like a garage with tons of motorcycles. When I moved my family into a higher class area, I promised her I'd keep my toys to a minimum. So the old GTI can't stay to keep the peace but I do love your thinking.

lol, so long story short. I used to be big at wrenching and my last house looked like a garage with tons of motorcycles. When I moved my family into a higher class area, I promised her I'd keep my toys to a minimum. So the old GTI can't stay to keep the peace but I do love your thinking.
Lol, i know what you mean. Im limited to 3, which really means 4 lol.

So I came across a Craigslist listing for a 1997 Seadoo GTI. Seller claimed it had low hours, it didn't run but it did before sitting and it'll be an easy fix and currently starts with starter fluid. He wanted $750 for it. I thought to myself, with my bad engine, I can buy it and sell off some parts to recoup the expense while swapping the engine with my bad one. So i drive two hours to see this thing and when I got there, it looked way worst than the pictures. He had me meet him at a Walmart parking lot and tries to seal the deal there. I tell him I have to check it out before buying it. Before I went to meet him, he confirmed that the engine was perfect. He had no battery, but I brought my own. After I plugged the battery and attached the key, I got no sign of life. no beep or nothing. Checked the fuses and all was good there. I decide to jump the solenoid to check the compression and cylinder 1 was at 90 psi and the 2nd at 100psi. I get angry inside but keep my composure. I tell him, the engines bad and maybe your computer or whatever because you got no spark or beep. He ask if I wanted to negotiate on price. I tell him "I'm good" and just get in my car and drive off, boiling inside...

It's because of dudes like this I got stuck with this broken ski. Based on talking to him, meeting me away from his resident, he knew that thing was bad yet still tried to sell it to me it. And his listing is still up with no edits after a week that it has a bad engine, I may post a beware listing on it, what do you think?

Last edited:
Yep man I’ve been there ran when parked. Then i started the ask him some questions about it he tells me it has a crack in the haul around the toe hook and he beat the crap out of it then it wouldn’t run any more. Compression test saids low compression on 2 and zero on the other this was a 3 cylinder Kawasaki jet ski. That is what drives me crazy

Back