Bimini Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFoster130

Premium Member
Premium Member
I think I am finally ready to add a bimini. I got kind of roasted this past week and think it would be nice to be able to have some shade sometimes. I have some general questions. Looks like the 6' x 67-72 x 46" will fit perfectly. There seems to be a huge price difference between companies.

I have seen the seadoo versions and sunbrella ones going for 3 to 4 hundred. Then I have found a bunch of universal fit ones on ebay for under 150. Anyone here buy the cheap ebay ones? If so, how has it held up?

This is the one I am looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0627939427&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I cant get the link to work, the ebay item number is 260627939427

To get this price I have to buy it tonight. Looks like it would work just fine. Next question. If I add the rear poles instead of the straps, will the universal ones that you just cut work, or do they need to be the adjustable version. Last question, with it all mounted with the rear poles, how does it fold down so I can get in and out of my garage.

thanks for all the input you have!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This site contains eBay affiliate links for which Sea-Doo Forum may be compensated.
Your link isn't working... but...

I have one of the cheap ebay tops, and it was about $120 shipped. You will want a top that is a little wider. Somewhere around 83" wide. I have a 78" wide top, and even though it fits on the boat, it can't be folded back onto the deck lid because it hits the hull first. if it was wider, it would fold back.

Yes, if you look around, there is a guy selling the rear support poles for about $19. I got them, and just cut them to size. (it solved my fold back issue)

192.jpg

40.jpg

Thanks Doc I have seen 2 other 98's on here and both of those members said the 72" fit perfectly. I am wondering if our bota are more narrow then yours. There is a nice flat spot on the top to mount the poles instead of towards the side like you did. The cheapest I could find the rear poles was like 42 after shipping. Still works out to like $160 for all of it though compared to one of the expenseive $400 versions.

Originally, I was going to mount mine on the top flats, but after I started looking, and test fitting... I figured it would get in the way of the arm rests, and controls... so I decided to mount it on the sides of the hull. The frame is very flexible, so mounting it on a wider sport wasn't any issue... but the side tubes now hit the hull, before the top sits flat on the deck lid. Because of that... I couldn't fold it back if I didn't want it up. I had to remove it from the boat. That's not a big deal, but it takes 2 people to hold it.

Now that I have my stiff rear suports... that's not an issue.

Before deciding if you are going to mount it on the top of the hull... think about the controls, and arm rests. I know our boat has 4 individual seats... so it may not be an issue, but on the 14' boats... the side of the hull is the arm rest for the 2 outer seats.

Just my random thoughts.

That makes sense. On mine I dont think it will be in the way on the top flat spots. One last question, if you need to remove the rear poles to fold it down, is it just a pin that can pull out or do you have to remove a bolt. If it is a bolt, is it something you think will wear out. I am going to have to lower it everytime I go in and out of my garage.

Thanks again!! I think I will order it today.

On my boat... I can't fold it flat because the tubes hit the sides of the hull. (because the top is too narrow)

BUT... if it was wider, and I could fold it back... the mounts are secured with thumb screws. Just twist them out, and to top comes off.

I may be taking the boat out tomorrow. If I do... I will put the top on, and take some close up pics of how, and were I mounted it. It would make a good sticky anyway, since people ask about tops all the time.

Pics would be great. Looks like my only other problem is where it mounts on the flat spot, I have hydroturf. No big deal though, should be able to cut out a spot with a razor blade.

I left my boat in my buddys garage otherwise i would snap some pics since our boats are similar. i have the factory bimini top. I can snap some detailed photos when I bring it home tommorow. :patriot:

I left my boat in my buddys garage otherwise i would snap some pics since our boats are similar. i have the factory bimini top. I can snap some detailed photos when I bring it home tommorow. :patriot:

While you are at it, can you measure the width or do you know it? 2 members on here stated the 67-72 inch will fit, but I read somewhere else it needs to be like 82. I am waiting on an email from the company that makes them for BRP. Who knows if they are helpful though.

This may not help totally with your boat... but here's a good pic of my mounting points.

Both the main tubes, and the rear supports are on with thumb screws. It takes about 2 minutes to take it off.

38.jpg

Thanks doc. This helps a lot. Did you get it from the same guy that you got those rear tubes from?

While you are at it, can you measure the width or do you know it? 2 members on here stated the 67-72 inch will fit, but I read somewhere else it needs to be like 82. I am waiting on an email from the company that makes them for BRP. Who knows if they are helpful though.

Sorry I just got home with the boat, didn't get pics, I'll try tomorow.

At its widest point on the very bottom where it mounts to the boat it is 67.25" . Thats outside to outside, so where it mounts is about 67" centered. I just used the pins that look like a solid roll pin with a small keyring on them. Think you need 1/4" x1.25" for the factory mounts. They will not fall out. I drilled the mounts out with 1/4" drill bit and they are snug. Towed the boat about 100 miles at 60mph and no problems with them falling out. You can buy them at Menards for $.99 each

Thinking about getting this top

The only way I will order this top is if I get the rear support rodes... do you guys have a link where I can find the rear support post... I like the way it looks and stands up..... Thanks in advance...

spelling...

LOL I guess I'm typing to fast and not looking over what I have typed.... "rods" and "mats"......... or really thinking about other things and spelling wrong...

Thanks doc. This helps a lot. Did you get it from the same guy that you got those rear tubes from?

Nope. I bought my top last summer from a different vendor. (but still on ebay) I did the rear tubes this summer because I couldn't fold the top back. I use to have to take the top with me... in the back of the truck, and put it on, and take it off at the water. (Pain in the butt) It's nice to be able to put it back, and out of the way.

Oh... and bout the stainless Vs. Aluminum...

Stainless is VERY heavy, and expensive. So, unless you are playing in salt water... just save the $$$ and get the aluminum frame.

Awesome, got it all figured out and will be ordering today. I was going to go with the burgandy, but I think it will contrast with the bright red too much. Grey will match better I think.

1320INC, thanks for the measurements. I think I am going to go with the pins to. They are cheap on ebay. I want this thread to have all the info for any future member who might be interested in adding the bimini to a 98-99 Speedster, so when I am done
I will add pics and all the details.

The rear support poles can be found on ebay or other marine retailers.

Wow Tony (Dr. Honda)

Your boat is awesome! its just beautiful, it looks like you painted where the throttle levers are?

Did you repaint your whole boat?

I still have a problem with my boat, it looks like I need to rebuild the engine, I found a place real far away from me (50 miles) that will rebuilt my engine for $1250 dollars.

Did you paint your whole boat?

Sometimes I just want to buy a newer boat, but whenever I see yours its like there is no need for me to spend so much more money when I can do what you did!

Its a headache though that something is always going wrong? sometimes my boat would behave for days, and sometimes it would do what it did!...

Thanks Doc I have seen 2 other 98's on here and both of those members said the 72" fit perfectly. I am wondering if our bota are more narrow then yours. There is a nice flat spot on the top to mount the poles instead of towards the side like you did. The cheapest I could find the rear poles was like 42 after shipping. Still works out to like $160 for all of it though compared to one of the expenseive $400 versions.

Dude,
That Bimini is the cats meow!!

Cheappc...

Nope. That's about 4 hours with a foam bonnet on a rotary polisher, and 3M SuperDuty compound. (find my thread from spring '09 on "My project")

My boat isn't perfect... but it's shiny. I've often thought of buying a new 155 speedster... But, every time I take it out, and it gets full of mud, and scuffs... I think to myself... why pay $17k for basically the same thing I have now.

BUT... Next summer I told the wife I'm buying a Islandia, and selling the Sportster.

I like the back support rod idea. I have been debating on what to do and this is actually a great way to go. It keeps all the spaces free clear and doesn't hinder the rear hatch or the swim platform. :willy_nilly:

I finally got the top and put it all together on my living room floor. Looking at yours doc, it looks like he exact same one. I went with the gray. One last question. It comes with self tapping screws for the mounts. It says to drill pilot holes and just screw them in. Is that good enough or should I use bolts with nuts on the backs? i think I can access all the areas through the speaker holes.

Yup... self tapping is just fine.

Drill your pilot hole, and then come back with a larger drill, and just cut the gel coat. (almost like doing a countersink) The gel coat is very brittle and hard, and if you don't cut it a little bigger, when the screws go in... it will crack.

Thanks Doc!!! I should have it on this week. I always use a drill bit to widen the hole.I had to with all my speaker bolt holes. I found spinning the drill in reverse actually works great for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back