BEER Notes:

Can't remember finding a green or clear bottle that was skunked, but definetly have had skunky draft beer. Many restaurants and bars that serve draft often don't discard kegs when they go past their shelf life. Most kegs are only good for around 60 days from the day they leave the brewer since they don't put preservatives in keg beer.

If you ever get a draft beer that dosen't taste right don't hesitate to send it back and try something else, or at least ask them to check the date on the keg. Often they will say without checking that they just tapped that beer recently, and that may be true.....but what they aren't telling you is that the keg was probably sitting around in theirs or their distributors cooler untapped for 1-2 months and has very likely gone bad.

The lack of preservatives is a great reason to drink draft and is less likely to give you a headache.

With canned/bottle beers, it you do get a skunky one, check the date on the can or bottle, most bottlers stamp an expiration date on the can. If you get a 12 pack that's old, take it back, they should replace it. (or in SeadooBuddy's case a 30 pack!)

HAH, I don't buy beer in 30 packs....that's only for cheap, (I mean less expensive beer) like busch, Natty, Old Milwaukee, etc.
Lots of Party stores (by the bottle) and the larger Kroger's will sell beer by the bottle in 6 Packs only , so you can mix & match.
I love trying new beers but not the real hoppy ones....mostly lagers, some ales, SEASONALS, are my favorite.
I have a small beer can collection of places I've visited on vacation, but I just bought 227 cans for $15 at a garage sale a few months ago....several cans are worth $15 each by themselves.......now if i can only do that with Seadoos...:)

If anyone has a local brewery near them that sells cans ...send them to me....I'll pay postage of course.

HAH, I don't buy beer in 30 packs....that's only for cheap, (I mean less expensive beer) like busch, Natty, Old Milwaukee, etc.
Lots of Party stores (by the bottle) and the larger Kroger's will sell beer by the bottle in 6 Packs only , so you can mix & match.
I love trying new beers but not the real hoppy ones....mostly lagers, some ales, SEASONALS, are my favorite.
I have a small beer can collection of places I've visited on vacation, but I just bought 227 cans for $15 at a garage sale a few months ago....several cans are worth $15 each by themselves.......now if i can only do that with Seadoos...:)

If anyone has a local brewery near them that sells cans ...send them to me....I'll pay postage of course.

Yea, I'm with you, I've just about given up buying the standard stuff too. Like you I've been getting into largers, stouts, porters and seasonals. Still having a hard time with the IPA's and other hoppy stuff but am trying to aquire that taste.

There's a couple of places here in Georgia that have beer clubs, for instance Taco Mac in Atlanta and Mellow Mushroom in Warner Robins. Once you drink like a 100 different kinds of beer, you get a "degree" and from then on get an extra 4-ounces with each pull. It's a good way to learn about different kinds of beer rather than just drinking the same kind every time.

I do have a friend who's dad has a huge beer can collection, many very old. I'll touch bases with him and see if he'd be interested in selling.

Some fun beer facts:

1. In China you can buy a Tsingtao beer not only in a bottle and in a can. But you can buy it in a bag as well.
2.Did you know that there is a Patron Saint of Brewing - St. Arnold of Soissons. He encourages people to drink beer instead of water.
3. The Mayflower landed at Plymouth rock instead of traveling on, because they ran out of beer.
4. Former President Abraham Lincoln owned several taverns and was proud of holding a liquor license.
5.In Reno, Nevada they have the highest rate of drinkers in the nation. The lowest rate of drinkers goes to the city of Provo, Utah.
6. Zythology is the study of beer and beer making.
7.Hops that are used in beer are in the same family as Marijuana.
8.Cenosilicaphobia is the fear of having a empty glass.
9.Vielle Bon Secours is the world's most expensive beer at $1000 dollars a bottle. Sold only in one bar in London, England.
10. Weihenstephan Brewery is the oldest in the world starting at 1040.
11. Labeorphilist is someone who collects beer bottles.
12. President Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected to office mostly because of his promise to get rid of Prohibition.
13. California has more breweries in the United States than any other state.
14. President George Washington had his own brewery on the grounds of Mt. Vernon.
15. Monks brewing beer in the middle ages not only brewed some of the best beer in the world, but they were allowed to drink five quarts of beer a day.
15A...must have been lots of drunken Monks back then :)

Budweiser is most popular beer among ER patients: StudyShows.

Source: Budweiser

Many people who end their Friday or Saturday nights in a hospital emergency room have been drinking alcohol. In fact, public health experts estimate that about one-third of all injury-related ER visits involved alcohol consumption.

But what exactly are people drinking? What types of alcohol and even what brands? Is there a direct link between advertising and marketing and later injury?

Until now, those questions have been unanswerable, frustrating alcohol epidemiology researchers. But if results of a pilot study conducted by researchers from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health hold up, there may soon be a way to connect the dots.

When the Hopkins researchers surveyed ER patients who'd been drinking, they found that Budweiser was the No. 1 brand consumed, followed by Steel Reserve Malt Liquor, Colt 45 malt liquor, Bud Ice (another malt liquor), Bud Light and a discount-priced vodka called Barton's.

Beer lovers state by state
CNBC's Bertha Coombs looks at the biggest beer drinkers and what consumers want in their summer brew, with Lauren Lyster of Yahoo Finance, and Bart Watson of Brewers Association.

Though Budweiser has 9.1 percent of the national beer market, it represented 15 percent of the of the ER "market."

The disparity was even more pronounced for Steel Reserve. It has only .8 percent of the market nationally, but accounted for 14.7 percent of the ER market. In all, Steel Reserve, Colt 45, Bud Ice, and another malt liquor, King Cobra, account for only 2.4 percent of the U.S. beer market but accounted for 46 percent of the beer consumed by ER patients.

"Some products are marketed to certain groups of people in our society," said Traci Toomey, the director of the University of Minnesota's alcohol epidemiology program, who was not involved in the study. Higher-alcohol malt liquor, for example, is heavily advertised in African-American neighborhoods.

"So we might want to put some controls on certain products if we find they are tied to greater risk," she said. "But how they are marketed and priced is critical information, and that has been very hard to study."

David Jernigan, a professor of public health at Johns Hopkins and the director of the study, told NBC News, "The Federal Trade Commission, in reports and in personal communication with me, said this kind of research cannot be done. The National Institute on Drug Abuse gave me similar push-back."

Though Jernigan pointed out that no conclusions could be made about beer or malt liquor advertising, pricing, or even consumption based on the study because it was too small—105 patient interviews—and took place in only one hospital in Baltimore in mostly black neighborhood, he proved such research was possible.

By using a drop-down menu on a small notebook computer, the survey takers managed to obtain information from patients, and to include about 400 brands, in less than five minutes. At first, Jernigan, said, many patients refused to talk. But then the survey takers, with the permission of the emergency room staff, donned white coats. After that, patients talked freely.

Overall, malt liquor and lower-alcohol beer dominated consumption, but vodka, gin, brandy and cognac were overrepresented, too.

—By Brian Alexander for NBC News

Great new Brewery in Paso Robles, Ca callers Firestone Walker. They brew several types.
The Best and only available near the coast is their "805"
Then Oat beer and DBA.
I am a great fan of Guiness, Newcastle, MooseDrool from MT.

Cheers.

Sounds goods, what's the DBA like?

I enjoy Newcastle, Stella and Labatt mostly....and almost any seasonal beer.

If you ever get a draft beer that doesn't taste right don't hesitate to send it back and try something else, or at least ask them to check the date on the keg. Often they will say without checking that they just tapped that beer recently, and that may be true.....but what they aren't telling you is that the keg was probably sitting around in theirs or their distributors cooler untapped for 1-2 months and has very likely gone bad.

The lack of preservatives is a great reason to drink draft and is less likely to give you a headache.

With canned/bottle beers, it you do get a skunky one, check the date on the can or bottle, most bottlers stamp an expiration date on the can. If you get a 12 pack that's old, take it back, they should replace it. (or in SeadooBuddy's case a 30 pack!)

I don't know how I missed this comment before.....Concerning bad draft beer....Sometimes if the lines have not been cleaned recently the beer will have an off taste.....or some bars clean with vinegar.....SO WRONG
In Michigan beer, etc is not returnable at the store. you must call the brewery (number on can/bottle, etc). We have replaced many 6-packs with cases as a good will gesture...but your names are kept and recorded for future use.

I also don't buy 30 pks of any beer.

Dirty lines can definitely cause bad tasting draft....I'm getting ready to build a kegatator so that info will help.

As far as the can collection ....I'll touch bases again with my friend. His dad is still kicking and may not want to part with his cans. Any in particular you're looking for?

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

Different beers for different times.
On my SeaDoo jet boat - something simple and light. Land shark, summer ale, Corona.
At home chilling Fat Tire is the bomb. Amber Bock, toasted lager, Boston Lager
Then you got the IPA's. Red Hook is killer, Harpoon, Ranger, Sweetwater, Sam Adams Latitude 48
Then when in Bimini there is nothing else but Kalik
image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
Professor IPA from Crankers Brewing out of MI
North Peak Brewing Diabolical
Hoptical Illusion by Blue Point

Local microbrews:
Kuhnhenn's DRIPA (rice IPA)
Dragonmead Crown Jewels IPA and Jason's IPA

I like my IPAs in case you haven't noticed yet. However in the summer when out on the water I do like some lighter beer like Corona, Landshark and Dale's Pale Ale (in moderation of course).

It is at the North Anclote sandbar. We go there at least once a week. That is my best friends new boat. Mine is the boat in the second picture, Challenger.

Last edited by a moderator:
New record for world's strongest beer at 67.5%

The new Scottish brewery - Brewmeister - have set the record for the world's strongest beer with a new beer called 'Snake Venom'. John McKenzie and Lewis Shand have recently bought the brewery and have spent 9 months creating this new beer.

The pair were friends through University and in 2011 decided to open their own brewery after brewing beer for friends since they were 16. The first beer they produced, Armageddon, which was launched last year and sold 6000 bottles has until now held the record for the strongest beer with an eye-watering alcohol content of 65% but their fans said it didn't taste strong enough! At 65% it is ten times the strength of standard supermarket lagers.

Snake Venom is even stronger at 67.5% alcohol and Lewis Shand says "Snake Venom is definitely sharper in taste. With Armageddon we actually tried to disguise the taste by making it quite oily. We thought if it was too strong peole wouldn't like it. But the problem we found is that people said we shouldn't have tried to cover up the intensity."

Snake Venom contains special ingredients to achieve such a high volume of alcohol including smoked peat malt and two types of yeast, beer yeast and champagne yeast. Unlike Armageddon, Snake Venom is not designed to mask the taste of the alcohol. The alcohol is very strong but the beer still tastes like a beer rather than a spirit. It's hoppy, malty and very pleasant.

Snake Venom carries a warning label around its neck telling buyers that a maximum of 35ml should be consumed per sitting. It should be treated like a whiskey. A 275 ml bottle costs £50.

In recent years the title for the world's strongest beer has been fiercely sought after as new brewing advances make stronger brews possible. Brewdog, another well known Scottish brewer, held the record for a while when they released 41% Sink the Bismarck in 2010.

lately i've been digging on a Chicago Brew called 312.... and its dam yummy... if you get a chance to check it out (its mainstream now so you can find it in stores), its worth a try. I've been a big fan of wheat beers for a number of years now, when ever I hit a chance at local brew's or hit a pub with original stuff on tap, i'm always asking for wheat....

318.jpg

In South Florida’s Delray Beach, Saltwater is both a brewery and a theme

Florida’s newest craft brewery opens its doors Dec. 30.

The opening of Saltwater Brewery, in Delray Beach, a seaside city midway between Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach on South Florida’s Atlantic Coast, culminates more than 20 months of planning, construction and, of course, some frustration.

Founded by a group of local beer aficionados with the help of a veteran brewer, Saltwater Brewery opens with seven beers flowing from its taps, ranging from an easy-drinking pale ale to a deceptively easy-to-drink Belgian strong ale that clocks in at 10 percent ABV.

Located at 1701 W. Atlantic Ave., Delray Beach’s main thoroughfare, Saltwater Brewery is housed in a converted 1952-era barn/former antique furniture store adjacent to the CSX railroad tracks that parallel Interstate 95.

A frequent visitor to Florida, I happened to be in Delray Beach just prior to the brewery’s opening and used the opportunity to meet its founders and sample some of the brews. The beers are well crafted, clean, flavorful, well balanced, and each distinct from the other.
saltwaterteam-saltwater-brewing-df

Saltwater Brewery founders Chris Gove, brewmaster Bill Taylor, Dustin Jeffers, Bo Eaton and Peter Agardy.

Saltwater, I was told, had its genesis in April 2012, when a group of local beer lovers– founders Bo Eaton, Peter Agardy, Chris Gove and Dustin Jeffers – came together and decided to open a brewery. Brewmaster Bill Taylor, a 17-year industry veteran who was making beer in Montana at Neptune’s Brewery, joined them a few months later. Despite plans to open in the summer of 2013, construction and sewer issues, regulatory hurdles and the like pushed the date into the fall and then early winter. “We had a few hiccups,” said Agardy. Millions of dollars and months later, the brewery began producing beer shortly before Thanksgiving. Saltwater’s founders hope to produce 7,500 barrels in their first year of operating their 20-bbl system.

The brewery’s owners said they plan to hew an image for the brewery that conjures up its seaside location with its culture of surfing, fishing and diving and marine conservation. But more than that, “we emphasize quality local beer,” said Agardy, explaining that the brews’ flavors “should be more than your palate can handle.”
1461002_557658487635569_368591602_n

A gleaming pinewood bar, fashioned from wood salvaged from the original building, dominates Saltwater’s taproom. Behind the glassed-in bar is the brewery, a collection of stainless steel including brew kettle and mash tun, six 40-gal. fermenters, two 20-gal. fermenters and two 10-bbl tanks. The fermenters are outfitted with glycol jackets to help tame the Florida heat. Grain, too, is stored in a temperature-controlled room. And the water is carbon-filtered to rid it of its heavy mineral taste.

Saltwater Brewery is the latest arrival on expanding craft beer scene in South Florida, where eleven breweries and brewpubs have opened in recent years, from Miami to Tequesta. They include Due South Brewing, in Boynton Beach; Tequesta Brewing in Tequestra, just north of Palm Beach; Funky Buddha in Oakland; The Mack House – Holy Mackerel Nano Brewery in Davie; Wynwood Brewing Co. in Miami and such brew pubs as Titanic in Miami; Brewzzi’s in Boca Raton and West Palm Beach; Tampa Bay Brewing’s Tap House and Big Beer Brewing, both in Coral Springs; and The Funky Buddha Lounge in Boca Raton. And more are planned.

“There’s a huge South Florida beer culture,” co-founder Peter Agardy, told me during my visit. “We saw an opportunity.” He explained that breweries, such as Saltwater are benefiting from the growing number of youthful craft drinkers in the area and a rising tide of first-generation craft beer lovers who have retired to the region.

The plan is to start with familiar beer styles before brewing more unusual brews. Thus, imbibers on opening day will be able chose from a wide range of styles including:

South End Session Ale, a low ABV session pale ale with a honeyed nose named for the area of Delray Beach where fishing and surfing are popular.
Bonafide Blonde, a golden brew fermented with Belgian yeast. (Not tasted).
Big Treble Amber Ale, a nicely balanced red ale.
Screaming Reels IPA, whose name pays homage to deep-sea fishermen. It most definitely screams hops.
Stinger Double India Pale Ale, named for local jelly fish,
SeaCow Milk Stout, named after the native Florida Sea Cow, the Manatee, who reside in the murky brackish waters of Florida. This light-bodied beer is dark, chocolately and roasty with a touch of sweetness.
Flying Scotsmen Scotch Ale (not tasted).
Don’t Get Confused Belgian Strong Ale. Golden with a foamy white head, the Belgian yeast character is evident; the high alcohol content is not. Deceptively easy to drink. (Two barrels of the brew are aging in bourbon casks.)

Saltwater’s brews initially will be available only in the brewery’s taproom for on-premise consumption or for takeaway in growlers. The idea, said Agardy is to grow sales organically and get the community’s support. “We want to be the Delray brewery and take care of the locals.”

I done a little bit of brewing myself, though I used to put a small jar of honey in just to add a little extra flavour however doing this it is wise to lessin the sugar you add during the brewing stage, the brew barrel I have is only a small one which normally you would have recipe of 1kg sugar, I used 500 grams of sugar and a 500 gram jar of honey, never had any complaints with taste until I changed the bottle wash powder at which time I dumped 2 whole brews down the drain.

Why would the wash powder change the taste? .....was it not rinsed well?

well having a sterileizer already in the wash powder then rinsing and resterilizing the bottles again with metabysolphate and rinsing again somewhere there was a film left behind in the bottles... Ever drank that sterilizing water?..that's all U could taste...

Japan's Suntory to buy US drinks group Beam
Text Size
Published: Monday, 13 Jan 2014 | 7:30 AM ET

Suntory said on Monday it plans to buy Beam for $16 billion, including debt, making the Japanese company the world's third-largest maker of distilled drinks.

The $16 billion transaction includes $2 billion in assumed debt.

Beam's brands include Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, Sauza, Canadian Club and Courvoisier.

Suntory will pay $83.50 per share in cash, a 25 percent premium to Beam's closing share price of $66.97 on Friday.
Luke Sharrett | Bloomberg | Getty Images
Bottles of Jim Beam Maple bourbon move down the bottling line at the Beam Inc. distillery in Clermont, Kentucky.

The transaction, which has been unanimously approved by each company's board of directors, is expected to close in the second quarter of 2014, subject to Beam stockholders' approval, regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions.

Shares of Beam shot higher in pre-market trading.

--By Reuters. CNBC.com contributed to this article.

3,200 yr old barley beer.....

(CNN) -

Imagine a warm brew of lager so heady you had to plunge a straw through the thick surface scum to get to the fermented liquor below.

Welcome to the favored brew of ancient Egypt's New Kingdom; a 3,200-year-old barley beer that a new archaeological find this month is shedding new light on.

A Japanese team headed by Jiro Kondo of Waseda University stumbled on the tomb of ancient beer-maker Khonso Em Heb while cleaning the courtyard of another tomb at the Thebes necropolis in the Egyptian city of Luxor.

The tomb, replete with highly colored frescoes, is being hailed as one of the most significant finds of recent times.

Egypt's antiquities minister Mohamed Ibrahim described Khonso Em Heb as the chief "maker of beer for gods of the dead" adding that the tomb's chambers contain "fabulous designs and colors, reflecting details of daily life... along with their religious rituals."

One fresco shows Khonso Em Heb -- who apart from being a brewer, headed the royal storehouses during the pharaonic Ramesside period (1,292--1,069 BC) -- making offerings to the gods along with his wife and daughter.

The newly discovered tomb is to be placed under tight security until the excavation work is completed, the ministry said in a press statement.

For full details of the story click the link. Sierra Nevada brews a barley beer once a year, it's called Big Foot. States on the label that it can age for up to 10 yrs after purchase. One of my acc'ts ( www.winebarrel.com )....( Click on the 2nd beer/wine/cigar then wine to see his cellar) ......would buy 20-25 cases a yr and sell about 15-20 cases. He kept the rest in his temp controlled 30,000 btl wine cellar, and advertise it every yr.....the older it was the higher price he asked.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...red/-/1719418/24011970/-/f8m8jtz/-/index.html

Back