BEER Notes:

Seadoobuddy

Premium Member
Premium Member
What's your favorite beer ? and why?

Info on a new milk beer : (not my review on it)

http://www.linkedin.com/news?viewAr...lhash=zOZ4&goback=.gde_104729_member_98825325

Beer brewed with milk...since I saw a thread in another group about the "Next Big Thing" I thought I'd contribute a punk rock Quebec beer

I don't just love this beer, I love the story of how I discovered it. The first batch proved A LOT stronger than anticipated (they had labels printed with a 6% alc. quotient).

Come bottling time, the quotient measured out to 9% and the staff had to scratch out the 6% on all their bottles with a jiffy marker and update the increased percentage by hand.
La Vache Folle - Milk Stout beeradvocate.com

74 beer reviews for La Vache Folle - Milk Stout (American Double / Imperial Stout) from Microbrasserie Charlevoix in Baie-Saint-Paul, QC, Canada.

:cheers:I like cold beer, --- i used to drink strohs up north, till 83, when i moved to fla, now, sorta coors light, and when i can get, its probably best beer i like is == genesee cream ale -- http://www.geneseecreamale.com/ -- it was at west leisenring fire hall, and hi-to sportsman club in fairchance, pa., it was on tap, real good beer ====:cheers:

:ack:Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Griz I am shocked, Genny Cream Ale?? I was born and raised in Central New York and I can't tell you of a single watering hole in this area that still serves it, or if they do the keg is probably 6 months old. I worked for Miller for several years and would drink that garbage over Genny any day. Tell you what; the wife and I are coming to the Tampa area in the later part of April, I'll try to find you a case and deliver it, I can spare the $5.00.:lol:

come to the jetski bash then, listed in southeast section, we bought tickets yesterday, tickeats are only 20.00 till this friday

Oh, This is pretty much Bud Light territory now for what ever reason, I actually prefer a little JD and coke in my advanced years. It seems to do the trick without putting on the pounds, or should I say any more pounds.:cheers:

My favorite beer is the one I brew, Hop head IPA recipe from Midwest brewers. I make 30+ gallons a year plus others.
I've been a home brewer for 18 years or so and love it!

But from a store I'll buy Molson Ice.

Really though!!!! My Favorite beer is, The next one.

My wife is from Buffalo and we love Genny Cream. it's available in Michigan and sells well.
Next time I drive to Fl. I'll bring a case or 2 down. Sold in 30 Pack cans.

For those in PA. and near by areas

Beer News:

Local 44 in West Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has just opened the long awaited Bottle Shop at Local 44 at 4333 Spruce Street at the corner of 44th and Spruce Streets. the new bottle shop features a selection of more than 500 bottles of the craft, vintage and limited release beers. It will soon present Local 44 Beer School sessions, brewery events and special tastings.

My favorite beer is the one I brew, Hop head IPA recipe from Midwest brewers. I make 30+ gallons a year plus others. I've been a home brewer for 18 years or so and love it!

Do you bottle and sell it? I'd love to try some!

Keystone Light for garage/wrenching beer and Blue Moon for when i'm feeling fancy. Most of the time though my KY soul comes out and I stoop to Keystone!

Beware The Green Bottles
The beered science of “skunky” beer.

iStock_000013874402XSmallYou know the smell: after a single swig of beer bottled in clear or green glass, or even left out in the sun in a clear glass for a mere 15 minutes, you encounter a malodorous, sulfury, skunk-like aroma. It might also taste like wet cardboard, a sign of oxidation. It’s not supposed to be like that, right? Nope. Trouble is, many people associate all beer with this horrid combo, which would be a little like associating all wine with the taste of a three day-old wine cooler left for dead on a countertop.

Here’s how it happens: in addition to barley, water, and yeast, beer is brewed with hops, the cone-like flowers of the humulus lupulus plant, which impart bitterness and aroma to beer and act as a natural preservative. Hops contain compounds called isohumulones that are extremely light sensitive in beer. So when blue wavelength U.V. light from the sun or fluorescent bulbs (read: supermarket and convenience store coolers) strikes the beer inside clear or green glass bottles, an organosulfur compound known as MBT, or 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol, is almost instantly formed. And it stinks to high heaven. Similar to butyl mercaptan, Pepe Le Pew’s calling card, it’s detectable at a paltry .05 parts per billion. We loved this WIRED article that tests, and confirms, the green bottle phenomenon.

So why does anyone bottle beer in green or clear glass? It’s cheaper and more marketing-friendly, that’s why. There are beers with processed hop extracts which won’t “skunk”, and there are green glass bottled craft beers we deeply enjoy —Trumer Pils, for one. All of these are reasons aluminum cans and metal growlers are all the rage in craft beer nation. Still, the science on skunked beer is clear. Keep your craft beers in the dark—and thank us later.

Have you ever encountered "skunked" beer? Share with us here......(P.S. I don't think the "Hot link" will copy into the forum post.

How did I miss this !!

1) Murphy's Irish Stout

2) Guinness Black

3) Molson XXX (when I can get it out of Canada)

4) Coors light. (It's great on a hot summer day)

With that said... we have a small brewhouse restaurant close to where I'm at... and they make some very tasty beers. During T-giving... they do a pumpkin beer that is GREAT !!

Beware The Green Bottles
The beered science of “skunky” beer.

iStock_000013874402XSmallYou know the smell: after a single swig of beer bottled in clear or green glass, or even left out in the sun in a clear glass for a mere 15 minutes, you encounter a malodorous, sulfury, skunk-like aroma. It might also taste like wet cardboard, a sign of oxidation. It’s not supposed to be like that, right? Nope. Trouble is, many people associate all beer with this horrid combo, which would be a little like associating all wine with the taste of a three day-old wine cooler left for dead on a countertop.

Here’s how it happens: in addition to barley, water, and yeast, beer is brewed with hops, the cone-like flowers of the humulus lupulus plant, which impart bitterness and aroma to beer and act as a natural preservative. Hops contain compounds called isohumulones that are extremely light sensitive in beer. So when blue wavelength U.V. light from the sun or fluorescent bulbs (read: supermarket and convenience store coolers) strikes the beer inside clear or green glass bottles, an organosulfur compound known as MBT, or 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol, is almost instantly formed. And it stinks to high heaven. Similar to butyl mercaptan, Pepe Le Pew’s calling card, it’s detectable at a paltry .05 parts per billion. We loved this WIRED article that tests, and confirms, the green bottle phenomenon.

So why does anyone bottle beer in green or clear glass? It’s cheaper and more marketing-friendly, that’s why. There are beers with processed hop extracts which won’t “skunk”, and there are green glass bottled craft beers we deeply enjoy —Trumer Pils, for one. All of these are reasons aluminum cans and metal growlers are all the rage in craft beer nation. Still, the science on skunked beer is clear. Keep your craft beers in the dark—and thank us later.

Have you ever encountered "skunked" beer? Share with us here......(P.S. I don't think the "Hot link" will copy into the forum post.

Can't remember finding a green or clear bottle that was skunked, but definetly have had skunky draft beer. Many restaurants and bars that serve draft often don't discard kegs when they go past their shelf life. Most kegs are only good for around 60 days from the day they leave the brewer since they don't put preservatives in keg beer.

If you ever get a draft beer that dosen't taste right don't hesitate to send it back and try something else, or at least ask them to check the date on the keg. Often they will say without checking that they just tapped that beer recently, and that may be true.....but what they aren't telling you is that the keg was probably sitting around in theirs or their distributors cooler untapped for 1-2 months and has very likely gone bad.

The lack of preservatives is a great reason to drink draft and is less likely to give you a headache.

With canned/bottle beers, it you do get a skunky one, check the date on the can or bottle, most bottlers stamp an expiration date on the can. If you get a 12 pack that's old, take it back, they should replace it. (or in SeadooBuddy's case a 30 pack!)

Last edited by a moderator:
How did I miss this !!

1) Murphy's Irish Stout

2) Guinness Black

3) Molson XXX (when I can get it out of Canada)

4) Coors light. (It's great on a hot summer day)

With that said... we have a small brewhouse restaurant close to where I'm at... and they make some very tasty beers. During T-giving... they do a pumpkin beer that is GREAT !!

il bring you some xxx! no problem!

Back