battery anyone heard of this brand 18 month warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen these on Ebay I really don't know about them. I probably wouldn't buy one because it's a lead acid battery. I prefer an AGM glass matt sealed battery.

Lou

ok is this the same technology as the batteries u have to put in the acid when buying new and charge? but just this one is sealed???

I'm running a Zipp, same as chrome off eBay. I'm on my second season with it. So far it's excellwnt

361.jpg

Based on some advice in another thread, I bought this one

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m-powersport-battery-325-cca-etx16/16940013-P

And I googled for an online coupon code to get $40 off a $100 dollar order, just throw in a couple things like fogger, spark plus, or shop towels to get the total to $100. Then like magic you have a $60 AGM battery, plus a couple extras.

Or just use this code MISSUE42 for 33% off the battery and no need to over pay for the other stuff--$59.96 plus tax . Or TRT37 for $30 off $75 or more and it's $59.49 plus tax.

I'm sure that battery is fine, but it's nice to snag one locally in case you have a warranty issue.

looking for a battery came across this http://www.ebay.com/itm/YB16CL-B-Jet-Ski-Battery-for-BRP-SEA-DOO-All-Other-Models-CC-94-07-/271054117896?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1c159c08&vxp=mtrgood price and sealed and good warranty could this be too good to be true??? Battery im currently running is a napa 16cl-b and i would go back with that but thinking about trying this one out any others heard of this???

I use the exact same battery. I am on my second season with it and have had no complaints. In fact I just installed a new one yesterday, purchased directly from chrome batteries website and it was cheaper than their ebay store.

Lou, AGM batteries are lead acid batteries. The difference is simply that there is a fiberous material between the plates of an AGM battery, helping to store fluid and keep it in contact with the plates. They are also generally sealed and can be mounted in all sorts of directions.

I am a 100% believer in the chrome battery, best bang for the buck out there in my opinion!

I called Chrome and the warranty is 12 months full replacement and for months 13-18 prorated. If needed, they offer $8.00 for return shipping. The CCA on the Chrome battery is 260 vs. Advance Auto 325. As Krispy mentioned, the battery is cheaper on the Chrome site ($52) opposed to Ebay ($58). Racer makes a good point on the return option at a local AA.

For a little more money I would go with the battery from advanced auto. That's the one I am running this season and it has been great so far. The extra cca make a big difference when starting the ski. A battery is never a good place to try and save money, it's not worth being stuck somewhere

somethings a little different compared to everyones AGM's at 240cca its pretty much a std battery spec, just about everyone's AGM's are putting out 325cca. Fair price for the battery, but I would also seek out an AGM, your not going to spend much more.

somethings a little different compared to everyones AGM's at 240cca its pretty much a std battery spec, just about everyone's AGM's are putting out 325cca. Fair price for the battery, but I would also seek out an AGM, your not going to spend much more.

[MENTION=57696]68ragtop[/MENTION],

These batteries are AGM batteries.

Motorcycles use the oldest and most reliable type of rechargeable battery, the Lead Acid battery. Chrome Battery offers a large inventory of motorcycle batteries to replace your existing battery. AGM Sealed Lead Acid batteries are considered the highest performing battery available on the market today. Each motorcycle battery we sell is constructed with lead calcium alloy and absorbed glass mat technology, which allows a completely 'maintenance-free' operation.

No spills, leaks or water to check
AGM separators for superior design
Heavy duty terminals
Extreme vibration resistance
Improved life cycle performance
Supplied factory activated (filled, sealed and charged) for immediate use
All Chrome Battery AGM motorcycle batteries are manufactured with the highest quality materials and rigorously tested to ensure safety, OEM compatibility, effectiveness and optimal performance.

They meet the standards called out in my service manual for both of my 787 powered machines, and they are rated for 260 CCA , that should be sufficient if the rest of your starting system is up to snuff.

I have studied battery design a bit in my work, and from my understanding, capacity and CCA are generally fixed for a given form factor and chemistry. That is to say given the 16CLB size and shape, if you don't change the chemistry (lead acid vs lithium ion) you don't see major changes in performance. In my opinion the reason a given manufactures CCA ratings are different for their AGM vs their standard battery is just marketing. How are you going to sell an average Joe a more expensive AGM battery if it has the same specs as your standard fare?

Now between brands, and construction techniques there are better batteries out there, batteries that have better internal welds, better tabs and stronger casings. But they are double the cost and carry a similar warranty. I have purchased some high end batteries for my toy's and have had mixed results.

I think the most important factor in battery performance is ownership and care, I bring my battery in the garage for the off season and I use a pretty nice charger to charge it before storage.

I have had good luck with these on my 787 machines and welcome other's opinions and experience with these or other batteries.
battery-cutaway.jpg

[MENTION=57696]68ragtop[/MENTION],

These batteries are AGM batteries.

In my opinion the reason a given manufactures CCA ratings are different for their AGM vs their standard battery is just marketing. How are you going to sell an average Joe a more expensive AGM battery if it has the same specs as your standard fare?
View attachment 25253

I have no clue on the chemical makeup of the different batteries, thats for sure. But I don't believe the higher AGM rating being just a marketing number. I have a carbon pile load tester & I test my batteries before each season on my seasonal toys, & especially when I first buy them new, to make sure they are not compromised in some way right out of the box.

The AGM's will load to their higher ratings & will pass with no problem. If I load a std 240 battery to 325amp, I am quite sure it will not pass. I load my batteries to their cranking amp rating & hold it for exactly 15 seconds. my healthy batteries are usually 10.5 volts or higher at the end of the 15 seconds. below 10 volts, not so great, 9.5 volts & its at the end of its rope. when I tested I didn't see much difference in voltage between the std battery tested at 240, or the AGM tested at 325. both were over 10v. So I am guessing if I load a std battery to 325cca it will fail by comparison. Just for fun, I will test this when I get home tonight as I have both type batteries charged & sitting on maintainers. I sure won't pretend to know how or why the extra amps exist in an AGM battery, but they are there based on the load testing I have done.

I am by no means throwing the chrome batteries under the bus. Just debating the value of the different batteries in general.

I have no clue on the chemical makeup of the different batteries, thats for sure. But I don't believe the higher AGM rating being just a marketing number. I have a carbon pile load tester & I test my batteries before each season on my seasonal toys, & especially when I first buy them new, to make sure they are not compromised in some way right out of the box.

The AGM's will load to their higher ratings & will pass with no problem. If I load a std 240 battery to 325amp, I am quite sure it will not pass. I load my batteries to their cranking amp rating & hold it for exactly 15 seconds. my healthy batteries are usually 10.5 volts or higher at the end of the 15 seconds. below 10 volts, not so great, 9.5 volts & its at the end of its rope. when I tested I didn't see much difference in voltage between the std battery tested at 240, or the AGM tested at 325. both were over 10v. So I am guessing if I load a std battery to 325cca it will fail by comparison. Just for fun, I will test this when I get home tonight as I have both type batteries charged & sitting on maintainers. I sure won't pretend to know how or why the extra amps exist in an AGM battery, but they are there based on the load testing I have done.

I am by no means throwing the chrome batteries under the bus. Just debating the value of the different batteries in general.

Yea, this test will be helpful. I am sure what you are saying is true but would like to see what you come up with since it will be some good data points.

I have access to one of those testers and I may try and do the same thing with my new Chrome battery.

One thing I am curious about, how much is enough CCA? I mean if we had some way of measuring that kind of current on the battery lead we could easily say that during startup our acutal skis are pulling 300+ amps and need that extra bit of oomph. But the real question is specific voltage under specific load. A plot of increasing load a decreasing voltage tells all.

At my previous employer we had one of these, it was sweet but was re-claimed by the government as an asset.

I went from a 240cca std battery in my 97 XP to an AGM. I didn't do it for the power, I did it because the XP has the battery vent above the seat & the acid runs down & wipes out the decals. I replaced the decals & put in a AGM. I noticed it seemedto turn over better. Could have been my imagination, but the XP has such crazy long wires I figure that ski is already at a disadvantage.
I'll test a few things tonight if time allows. t would be nice to have two brand new batteries to test however. But I do have both an AGM & std made by the same company & they were both new last spring.

Well, I did some testing last night & here is what I found. This test could be considered a little subjective, or should I say could be skewed because I don't have a pile of batteries to test. I have a few newer AGM's but two of them are 400CCA batteries for the 4-tecs.

What I tested is two CB16 style that are of the same mfg, & both bought last spring about a month apart. They are distributed by Mills fleet farm in my area (a semi local chain store) I tired to figure out who makes them for fleet farm & I came up with Johnson controls & Deka. Maybe Racer can figure it out? they are private labeled "road runner" They are in the same price range as most for this size. $66 for a std 240cca & $85 for the 325cca AGM. nice part is they have a 1 year replacement vs 90 days of most brands.

OK, I think for this test to really hold any water, I would need at least two brand new batteries of each type, off the shelf instead of just one of each that were in service last season. So think of this test like holding a wet finger in the air to see what way the wind is blowing.....

I tested both batteries after being fully charged by the same 1.5A charger,

Using a stop watch & a multimeter I loaded both batteries to their rated capacities.

the std battery: loaded it at 240cca and after 15 seconds it showed 10.29 volts
the AGM battery: loaded it at 325cca and after 15 seconds it showed 10.75

I let them recharge again overnight & tested them both this morning at 325cca load

the std battery: 9.62volts
the AGM: 10.58

I am also sure there is some human error as I manually dialed in the load, hit the stop watch & locked the voltage. But in this case the AGM is stronger. I will save the info I have & post more results if I get the chance. Only problem is I am a little AGM brainwashed now, so I am not so sure I will have a fresh std battery to test again.

It would have been nice to see the std battery make a stronger initial test at its rating over the AGM, or at least equil to make me feel feel both batteries where up to par. But after the initial test, it would seem maybe the std battery was a little weaker? Really need more batteries to accurately figure it out IMO.

Really tying to be unbiased, so if I seem wishy washy that's why......

Last edited by a moderator:
Batteries vs Beer

You know I've been watching this thread, and I have been thinking about batteries vs beer. I'll bet if you get 10 guys together you could have ten different opinions about what beer they drink and the same thing about batteries.

I guess I'm a creature of habit but I've been buying motorsports batteries from AutoZone for years. The last one I bought there was a MagnaPower AGM and it's the best, most reliable battery I've ever owned. A battery is no place to try to save money, buy the best battery you can afford, it's no fun sitting in the middle of the lake with a dead battery.

Now lets get serious and start another oil thread. :facepalm:

Lou

Lou,
We don't need a discussion on beer. I only drink two kinds - whatever I buy, and whatever is free. I am sure most will agree.

Well, I did some testing last night & here is what I found. This test could be considered a little subjective, or should I say could be skewed because I don't have a pile of batteries to test. I have a few newer AGM's but two of them are 400CCA batteries for the 4-tecs.

What I tested is two CB16 style that are of the same mfg, & both bought last spring about a month apart. They are distributed by Mills fleet farm in my area (a semi local chain store) I tired to figure out who makes them for fleet farm & I came up with Johnson controls & Deka. Maybe Racer can figure it out? they are private labeled "road runner" They are in the same price range as most for this size. $66 for a std 240cca & $85 for the 325cca AGM. nice part is they have a 1 year replacement vs 90 days of most brands.

OK, I think for this test to really hold any water, I would need at least two brand new batteries of each type, off the shelf instead of just one of each that were in service last season. So think of this test like holding a wet finger in the air to see what way the wind is blowing.....

I tested both batteries after being fully charged by the same 1.5A charger,

Using a stop watch & a multimeter I loaded both batteries to their rated capacities.

the std battery: loaded it at 240cca and after 15 seconds it showed 10.29 volts
the AGM battery: loaded it at 325cca and after 15 seconds it showed 10.75

I let them recharge again overnight & tested them both this morning at 325cca load

the std battery: 9.62volts
the AGM: 10.58

I am also sure there is some human error as I manually dialed in the load, hit the stop watch & locked the voltage. But in this case the AGM is stronger. I will save the info I have & post more results if I get the chance. Only problem is I am a little AGM brainwashed now, so I am not so sure I will have a fresh std battery to test again.

It would have been nice to see the std battery make a stronger initial test at its rating over the AGM, or at least equil to make me feel feel both batteries where up to par. But after the initial test, it would seem maybe the std battery was a little weaker? Really need more batteries to accurately figure it out IMO.

Really tying to be unbiased, so if I seem wishy washy that's why......

Good Investigation Ragtop! I appreciate you testing this stuff. If I get around to it I will do the same.
[MENTION=31048]LouDoo[/MENTION] You are 100% correct everyone has a different opinion on the batteries, just like oil. The reason why is frankly that they all work (some better than others) and get the job done. I know one thing, I will always have AGM in my toys, so much so that when I regelcoated my XP I shaved the battery vent hole!

Too early for beer, but I want one!

I use Odyssey batteries. Have 2 that were purchased in 2006 and another 2 that are 2009. Thay are all still working fine. However, wouldn't expect the 2006 ones to last much longer after all they are 8 years old. Never had a wet lead acid battery last more than 2 years.

Com'on now..... Lou just says what he's thinking & he's right if we get into comparing battery brands.

I took the thread a little sideways getting into the AGM vs std batteries, but it seemed relevant. I didn't mean to get into specific brands. But that being said, I do believe there are some brands that are better than others...

One things for sure, Batteries are a lot easier to debate than oil ;)

For anyone trying to keep there new battery good for a while, I found that home depot sells the black & decker batter tender for $20. This is the cheapest I could find one that still got good reviews. It has a output of 1.3A which makes it mpem safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back