Any off season mod plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFoster130

Premium Member
Premium Member
I am just curious what others have planned for modifying over the winter. I like to see what other people are changing on their boats.

I hope to add a few more speakers and I am hoping to do a big LED lighting project. Hopefully I can get a thread going on that in a bit.

Sooo....Lets hear what you have in mind.

My plan is to upgrade the stereo in the boat. I am considering some custom decals to replace the worn and faded ones on the boat. Also, trailer bearings.

My main project is to rebuild my blown engine in the spring once it gets a bit warmer

My waverunner isn't going into underground storage like the boat is, so I will be doing some work to it over the winter... intake grate, impeller, ride plate, hydroturf, etc

Sounds like people got some good plans. Just start new threads here and post up progress pics.

I was going to swap a 720 into my little Si ski... but I figured after all the work... it would still only be worth $400. (it's old) So... I'm selling the conversion parts, I'll sell the ski in the spring, and buy an 800 XP for my hot-rod.

If I don't decide to buy an Islandia... I will probably put a stereo in my Sportster.

I was going to swap a 720 into my little Si ski... but I figured after all the work... it would still only be worth $400. (it's old) So... I'm selling the conversion parts, I'll sell the ski in the spring, and buy an 800 XP for my hot-rod.

If I don't decide to buy an Islandia... I will probably put a stereo in my Sportster.

My uncle still has the 95 XP... and my girlfriend dumped me so I have no need for a second ski lol

If you're looking for a good hull to drop the 720 into, then you could give him a call over the winter or spring. Its not listed for sale, its just sitting in his garage... so it won't be going anywhere

If I don't decide to buy an Islandia...

I have been considering one of these (Islandia) too.

So, one thing I have to do this winter is figure out if I want a boat or a second ski. I have been wanting a new RXT-X 260, but could buy a used boat and another older ski, that way I could have both.

But, damn, that new RXT-X sure is nice :drool5:

I have been considering one of these (Islandia) too.

So, one thing I have to do this winter is figure out if I want a boat or a second ski. I have been wanting a new RXT-X 260, but could buy a used boat and another older ski, that way I could have both.

But, damn, that new RXT-X sure is nice :drool5:

The RXT's are huge but man I bet they FLY!

What kind of boat are you considering? I saw a Challenger 1800 on CL a few weeks ago that is similar to mine, but they want WAYYYYYYY too much for it.

What kind of boat are you considering? I saw a Challenger 1800 on CL a few weeks ago that is similar to mine, but they want WAYYYYYYY too much for it.

I was leaning towards an Islandia. I want something with a higher occupancy and room for hauling around the family and friends. Something that would make a nice "home" on the water while running the ski's.

Perhaps its just wishful thinking on my part, as I also plan to move out of my current house into something bigger. I have to figure out my priorities this winter. :)

It's not for a boat, but I am:
  • Installing Hydro-turf this offseason.
  • I am in the process of chaging fuel lines and installing my new fuel baffle, which arrived today (thx nick34).
  • I will probably be rebuilding the carbs with a possible re-jet/airbox mod.
  • Plus gelcoat repair, sanding, and polishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was leaning towards an Islandia. I want something with a higher occupancy and room for hauling around the family and friends. Something that would make a nice "home" on the water while running the ski's.

Perhaps its just wishful thinking on my part, as I also plan to move out of my current house into something bigger. I have to figure out my priorities this winter. :)

Winter time isnt gonna help figure out priorities. Best time to decide if a boat is a priority is when it is hot and sunny..lol

Extra Batt

Still wanting to do the stereo upgrade and extra batt. I came across something at Bass Pro called a phase charger.. Basically it charges your main batt and once that has sufficient charge starts charging your 2nd ( deep cell ) from my understanding the two batts are never in parallel using the phase charger so the no.1 ( starting ) batt. doesn't try to level out with the 2nd. ( deep cycle ) batt. which in our case would be the stereo batt. That way maybe could bypass having a switch.. I just got afraid of the switch I guess, because I know I will forget to switch the thing when I am out having a good time....!! So for example if you stayed out w. stereo on for the afternoon, and otally ran down the 2nd batt. the no. 1 batt would not be touched, until you cranked up, then the phase charger would see that no.1 is charged and start recharging no 2. batt. I believe that is how it is supposed to work! Lemme know what you think! You know I'll try and get back on here as soon as I can! thnx!

That sounds like it would work. I've used mine the way it is for 2 seasons now with zero problems and I got under $200 in everything including the battery.

yeah I agree Rich Ilike your set-up.. You have to remember I use the ARMY way of thinking..which is let's try the way that's not been proven to work..In other words, I have to do things the " Hard Way " haha! I had car trouble on the PA trip, so wasn't able get over your way this last go around... 550 just to replace a radiator in a Lexus.. it hurt man...

My main objection is to keep riding and posting pictures for all of you in the snow LOL!!!!:cheers:

I was pulling my Speedster today with my Jeep and count see a thing behind the boat trailer...has anyone heard or have one of those RF ( radio freq.) backup-cameras..mounted to the trailer or temporarily mounted to the back of the boat and kept on with a small monitor in the vehicle, just to see whats back behind the boat...May be something out there for this already..

I got a friend who bought a wireless one at pep boys for like 99 bucks. He uses it on a full size conversion van. It is just a little strip that bolts to the license plate. I dont see why you couldnt bolt it on the trailer. The positive wire was hooked to his reverse light so it only comes on when in reverse. You could just hook it to the constant wire for the trailer lights.

I have a camera that is built into the license plate frame. It is hooked into my radio that is a dvd player. I love it when backing up to the boat.

Forgot to mention the RF one that the friend uses came with its own little balck and white screen about the size of a GPS. He just used velcro and stuck it on the dash.

yeah man I have a jeep and the speedster had the Poppy Cover on, so I couldn't see a dang thing in the mirrors....The Lexus has a camera i installed with the pop out LCD screen, but the thing would be to find a WATERPROOF Camera if I put it on the trailer...another option I guess would be to put the camera on the boat back while trailering and just temp. power it on using the boat battery just fro trailering..that was really kinda nerve racking not being able to see behind the boat, and wondering if someone was behind about to pass me ... I will come up with something..I n my truck, it is high enough to see over the boat and cover, so it's just the jeep that I have the problem in.. I will keep you posted man! Got the boat totally winteried also...Hey man I have electric fans circulating air now, but just for fun, go to BilgeWizard.com when you have a chance and let me know what you think about that deal...it may be useful on trips when there is no electric outlets around, or in a storage garage with no electricity.. I made something similar with a comp. vent fan and air ducting that fits in the gas cap hole on our Poppy Covers, but you can't trailer with it, and it stretches the cover slightly, so I can't/don't tighten the cover all the way ....Anyhow check that out and let me know..It says we can use it even though we have the drain plug that stays connected..I've read reviews and everyone talks good about it keeping mold out...its BilgeWizard.com...May be worth checking out... sorry for looong post..just dont have access to my favorite forum as much as before!!

OHHH about to have to replace the trailer bunks too...we'll come up with some Cool way to do that hopefully..Right now it looks like just two 2x6's that are 8 feet long with gray carpet that =boring...We can check and see what others are doin to upgrade the bunks and whats new on the market...I would imaging yours are getting about ready for a replacement as well RFoster if they look like mine! Happy Thanksgiving also!!

custom seats $835.Taking the old red vinal off was a pain... hope they come out good goin with black vinal... also nick nacks to be done:
-rpm guage lights up but not working
-speed guage same thing
-already installed a switch with a key instead of the dry rotted pop off one. i need to do a thread on it cause I had to use the old rubber key and a solder gun cause the OEM key has a diode in it or something to prevent theft it cant be done without the old key..
- new windshields, maybe some carbon fiber wrap on the old ones not decided on that yet
-already started restoring chalky looking gel coat..... (wet 1500grit sandpaper is your friend, with Woody Wax compound) its looking good but again, i need pics.
-new pump housings, new impellars (ouch) the wife will kill me on this one..

Still wanting to do the stereo upgrade and extra batt. I came across something at Bass Pro called a phase charger.. Basically it charges your main batt and once that has sufficient charge starts charging your 2nd ( deep cell ) from my understanding the two batts are never in parallel using the phase charger so the no.1 ( starting ) batt. doesn't try to level out with the 2nd. ( deep cycle ) batt. which in our case would be the stereo batt. That way maybe could bypass having a switch.. I just got afraid of the switch I guess, because I know I will forget to switch the thing when I am out having a good time....!! So for example if you stayed out w. stereo on for the afternoon, and otally ran down the 2nd batt. the no. 1 batt would not be touched, until you cranked up, then the phase charger would see that no.1 is charged and start recharging no 2. batt. I believe that is how it is supposed to work! Lemme know what you think! You know I'll try and get back on here as soon as I can! thnx!

man i like that idea! i was thinking the same thing man. imma have to look into that and consider that option. btw how much$$ is it?

The phase charger was around 65 I believe..sounded like a good idea for me, because I know for a fact that I would get preoccupied and forget to use the switch method....I think this way the start batt. charges, then your extra batt...so if you ran your extra down, the start wouldn/t be touched..Then when you crank -up the phase charger sees that your start batt is full and starts charging the extra again..AND I think that the phase charger prevents the extra from going parallel with the starting batt, so it SHOULD NOT theoretically starting draining the starting batt in order to level out which happens in a normal parallel circuit..In other words kinda like a one way diode..Have a look and see what you think... I DO know one thing..Its agood thing I have a second job..I need one just to get all the goodies that have gone on the Speedster.... I don't promote Bass Pro..I was just browsing one day coming home from a trip and ran across this.. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...-03A7-DF11-904F-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA the only problem I can think off is how to use this with my home 12Volt charger which is wired directly to the start battery..Maybe this phase charger can detect a full charge even when the enigine/alternator is not on, and sense to switch the charging to second battery just by using the voltage input from the charger..I don't know.. I need to get on some fishing forums and see what the Big time fisherman are using for their rigs...some off those trolling motors probably pull alot of juice if I had to guess....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back