Any off season mod plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
95 Speedster mods for winter/early spring...

Add a stereo
Add a bimini top
Look into LED lights for evening/nighttime cruising

Still riding LOL!!! Went out Last Sat...8ft seas was a blast....going out this Sunday...:cheers:

Still riding LOL!!! Went out Last Sat...8ft seas was a blast....going out this Sunday...:cheers:

Must be nice. Of course I am looking forward to the 3 to 4 inches of snowing coming the next 2 days. Makes it look more like Christmas time.

I want these lights .... but $599. I think 10 Oznium's $18 lights would be brighter.... but these are pretty nice. I want some to point out and some to point under the boat.

what are we missing... why is everyone's underwater lights almost $1000 or more and Ozniums's are so cheap.

http://www.shadow-caster.com/gallery.html

Its all based off what people are willing to pay and who you market to. The fancy lights like those you posted along with Abyss, Wakemagic, OceanLED, are all tailored specifically as boat wake lights. Oznium is sold as a waterproof LED. People took it on as a project to make them work. For me the proof is in the members here who have used them and had great results. I hope to be doing an LED project over the winter.

I dont know what lumens are. I was thinking about putting 8 of the green Oznium's on the back of my stern which equel 4200 Lumens total. now one light from rebel designs of the AR12 is 5680 lumens all in the same spot.

http://www.rebel-designs.com/gallery.html#

I am just trying to get all the info I need before drilling holes.

http://www.oznium.com/6w-flood

Now these for $139 seem pretty nice also. I already bought 4 spot lights for the Rear of the boat and superflux's for inside. I may need to get 2 of these to point under the boat.

Attachments

• 3390.jpg
    3390.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 4008.jpg
    4008.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
what is the best way to seal the LED'S after you have them mounted, i have seen a few different ways here on different posts, just curious

thanks, are you still going to use screws to attach them as well? if guy ever had to change a light because it burned out or something, would you be able to after epoxying to the boat?

I'm having problems posting pics with My new 14mg camera :(

If you mean that its hard to post pics because the file size is too big... try a windows powertoy called Image Resizer. It builds itself into the shell's right click menu, so you just right click a file (or multiple select a bunch), and click "resize photo(s)". Then it asks you what size (i use medium) and it creates a new smaller file next to your original.

If you have win XP, get it here -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Win Vista -
http://sourceforge.net/projects/phototoysclone/

Win 7 -
http://www.nirmaltv.com/2009/08/26/image-resizer-power-toy-for-windows-7/

I've been using all 3 versions, and it makes sending files really easy

I just upload straight to photobucket and then post here with their links.Makes it very easy.

I did photo bucket also.... but when I try uploading it said error uploading... file to large.
or I put it in

I did photo bucket also.... but when I try uploading it said error uploading... file to large.
or I put it in http:blah blah blah[img] and it came out as a red X[/QUOTE]

With Photo Resizer you could right click the files and instantly change their size to make them compatible... then upload them

Stereo install

Well finished some of the Winter Mods I was doing to the boat....

The install went smoother than I had expected. I use to install car stereos when I was in University about 10 years ago, so it has been a while. But everything turned out clean and tight !!!

Here we go...

1) Installed an ALPINE CDA-9886 head unit with in Marine rated housing with "water proof" case...

2&3) Have so far installed two (of the 4) PIONEER TS-MR2040 8 inch speakers (marine rated) .......may not install the other two.....VERY LOUD!!!

4) Installed an ALPINE PDX-5 amp...more than enough power to supply all the speakers I MIGHT eventually put in.

5) Ran 2 seperate cables to the front storage compartment. One for the IPOD and one for USB...

I have a couple more things to to install that aren't stereo related and will post when they are finished too....:cheers:

Attachments

• ALPINE CDA-9886.jpg
    ALPINE CDA-9886.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 32
  • PIONEER TS-MR2040 (2).jpg
    PIONEER TS-MR2040 (2).jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 24
  • PIONEER TS-MR2040.jpg
    PIONEER TS-MR2040.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 18
  • ALPINE PDX-5.jpg
    ALPINE PDX-5.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 35
  • MP3-USB-1.JPG
    MP3-USB-1.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 32
Well finished some of the Winter Mods I was doing to the boat....

The install went smoother than I had expected. I use to install car stereos when I was in University about 10 years ago, so it has been a while. But everything turned out clean and tight !!!

Here we go...

1) Installed an ALPINE CDA-9886 head unit with in Marine rated housing with "water proof" case...

2&3) Have so far installed two (of the 4) PIONEER TS-MR2040 8 inch speakers (marine rated) .......may not install the other two.....VERY LOUD!!!

4) Installed an ALPINE PDX-5 amp...more than enough power to supply all the speakers I MIGHT eventually put in.

5) Ran 2 seperate cables to the front storage compartment. One for the IPOD and one for USB...

I have a couple more things to to install that aren't stereo related and will post when they are finished too....:cheers:

89X 88.7 on the radio. NICE

Looks great. How did you mount the amp like that? Did you drill holes and put bolts behind the seats?

Amp

Yes Thanks...

I did exactly that. That was the easy part. Setting the amp up was the real issue. The gains on the unit were very sensitive and required about an hour of cranking it up and down to balance the system from a weak input signal during bass runs. It drops down to 10 hz nicely on the bass runs, and gives me really good transient response on the alternative music. I still have the extra speakers I haven't installed yet, may just have to go back.....we'll see. But for the amp...suprisingly exceptional unit!

Yeah it took some tweaking for me too. I have the same amp, just the marine version. It really is the best all around amp for running a complete system. Good Choice!! :cheers:

Is it pretty easy to add speakers? Mine has 2 from the factory but I would like to add more 6.5's in the bow... I'm just nervous about cutting into the boat

Measure twice...

Adding speakers is easy. Measure twice. Use templates to put on the boat to see proper placement. When you are happy, trace and place. Not too hard at all. Fish tape will be your friend.:hat:

Exactly what he said. Before you cut, cover the area with tape so you dont mark up the gel cote. I use the blue painters tape. Conveniently, most 6.5's require a 5 inch hole. I use a 5" hole saw bought in a kit at harbor freight for like 8 bucks. That and a corded drill and you are done in 5 minutes. Drill the holes and use stainless bolts. Wire it up and you are done.

Which case is that you have mounted? And how loud do you think it would be without the amplifier? Trying to cut costs and not sure I personally need something very loud on my first boat - '95 Speedster I'm fixing up... Thanks.

Just finished getting my parts for the new Stereo.

Speakers
Polk Audio mm840dvc 8" subs (x2)
Polk Audio db651s 6.5" 2-ways (x4)

Amp
Alpine PDX5M Amp

Deck
Kenwood KMR-440U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back