98 gtxl mag cylinder full of gas and clean plug.

Brief recap:
New to small motors/2-strokes/marine craft
Bought cheap this winter as is.
Replaced grey fuel lines and injector lines and filters.
Cleaned and re-assembled carbs with all existing parts (everything looked good)

Note: mag side hi jet was all the way in but pto side was .5 turn out so I returned it there after cleaning.

Cleaned tanks and replaced oil and gas with proper. New plugs.
New battery, greased pto and coupler etc.

Testing:

Idled too low and stalled.
Tightened the slack in throttle cable, no joy.
Read to adjust the throttle screw so I turned it in until it it was about 3000rpm out and 1500rpm in water (as per dash)
But I also read the throttle screw should just touch while I had to spin mine in several full turns past that.

On the water it only does 28mph and stall when returning to idle from wot.

Didn’t have time to check the plugs that day or for another week.
Pto side plug was black and mag side looked new still.

Thought I’d confirm I have spark put when turned it over with the plugs out a bunch of gas shot out of the mag side cylinder (maybe a cup half at least)

Full disclosure I was today years old when I learned the fuel shut off should be you know “shut off” when not in use.

I know that’s a lot but where do I start? Recheck the carbs to see if I assembled them wrong or mixed up a line?
Bite the $200 Canadian bullet and rebuild the carbs with mikuni kits?

I don’t have a pop off tester but I assumed putting the same springs etc back would be fine…

Other potential simple fixes I should investigate first ?

Thanks in advance.

Do the carbs correctly, it's almost always the carbs....

Throttle cable should always have slack, it is the idle screw you adjust for idle.
I’m thinking your recommending this to fix my idle/power issues but as far as the one cylinder being full of gas, is that normal if the shutoff is left on, and after blowing most of it out by turning over with plugs out am I good 2 go or will there be fuel in my counterbalance oil?
Just referencing this post: My entire crankcase is full of fuel

If your seals are good there should be no fuel in counterbalance. You probably missed something and also you shouldn't just reassmble with old gaskets, get a new kit genuine mikuini only.

I’m thinking your recommending this to fix my idle/power issues but as far as the one cylinder being full of gas, is that normal if the shutoff is left on, and after blowing most of it out by turning over with plugs out am I good 2 go or will there be fuel in my counterbalance oil?
Just referencing this post: My entire crankcase is full of fuel
Being full of gas is because your needle and seat are leaking and will be fixed by rebuilding the carbs correctly.

Amazon.ca

Is this what/everything I need?

Edit:description says needle and seat not included. Should I be changing those?
Yes you should be changing the needle and seat, osdparts.com for the back to OEM kit for your make and model. Follow Mikidymac’s carb rebuild thread which can be found on his profile. Don’t buy any kits off amazon

Yes you should be changing the needle and seat, osdparts.com for the back to OEM kit for your make and model. Follow Mikidymac’s carb rebuild thread which can be found on his profile. Don’t buy any kits off amazon
Thanks I was just looking at those back 2 oem kits. About the same price and they come with base gaskets.

Sorry one more question.
Optional accel pump diaphragm for $15
I’m not bothered about the cost but when I cleaned the carbs I didn’t open the accel pump because I didn’t wanna mess it up lol

Should I get that as well you think, or not mess with it?

Apologies if this is covered in the carb rebuild thread, I’m going to read it(again) now.

Sorry one more question.
I’m not bothered about the cost but when I cleaned the carbs I didn’t open the accel pump because I didn’t wanna mess it up lol

Apologies if this is covered in the carb rebuild thread, I’m going to read it(again) now.
It’s not covered in the carb rebuild thread, to be honest I’ve never rebuilt an accelerator pump, I don’t think there’s much to it? Maybe just that one diaphragm? I’ve came across one for the first time on my Seadoo Challenger, I pulled the throttle and it squirted gas so I called it good. I’m pretty sure there’s a pressure test in the manual that will tell you if the diaphragm is good but I’m not up on it. If you do happen to change the hose on the accelerator pump though keep the old hose as there’s some type of restrictor jet in it, you would have to put it in the new hose. If it were me, I would go ahead and order that 15.00 part just so I had it, if I was already placing an order. Unless someone else chimes in and says differently

Sorry one more question.

I would get it just to have? Even if I ended up not using it

Solid wisdom I think. I’ll throw it on and get it ordered so it can start making its way up to Canada while I study the guide.

Thanks again.
I have all my stiff shipped to my us address, I’ve only ever been charged duty once and no crazy import and brokerage fees from the shipping company.

Needle on the PTO carb is not sealing or you have a bad o-ring on the seat. Set the pop off to the correct range then test to make sure the carb is not leaking. Good Luck !

Back