98 GTX Seadoo limited, charging issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonbrout

Other than this issue my doo is running just grand. The issue is the battery does not seem to hold a charge. The battery is brand new. So it seems to me as if something is pulling it down/decharging the battery. It runs perfectly after started, but to get it started we have to jump it.

The low voltage warning light and alarm sounds on a regular basis, as it does not seem to charge the battery when running ( I ran it for several hours and it continued the low voltage warning throughout. I stopped it and tried to crank it, and of course it still would not crank)

I put the key in and get the two beeps. When I hit the start button all it does is clicks but does NOT turn over.

I've been trying to figure this out. ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks so much for your input!

Have you checked for any output on the system? Start the engine, and bring it up to 5000 RPM. You should see 13.5 to 14.5v at the battery. If you don't get that... you probably need a regulator.

Same thing happened to my 98 GTX. The stator went bad and it was constantly draining the battery. It was alot of process of elimination.
To verify my findings, I removed the pos terminal on the battery. When I touched the terminal to the post, it sparked ( not just a little ) I checked all wiring harnesses and the start stop switch. each move I made i touched the terminal to the post of the battery and still sparks. I unpluged the stator plug ( front of engine next to oil pump ) and touched the terminal to the battery post and no spark. What I found was pieces of an old starter had worked its way into the stator and grounded it out. I found a used stator and installed it. The ski runs great now no battery problems anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back