98 GTX Ltd sea doo sitting for over 8 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grim

I inherited my dad's sea doo. It is a 98 GTX limited and the engine (rebuilt) has less than 15hrs before it was stored. I got it home and it looks like rodents tore up the wiring pretty good and some of the insulation on the sides (in engine bay, looks like Styrofoam). I am pretty mechanically inclined so i am going to see if i can get it to run. I have poured through the threads and found a lot of good info but this is my first PCW. I have put some fogger in the cylinders and I have ordered about half of the wiring for this sea doo. I will be draining the gas and oil tank and will put new stuff in it and check for leaks. I plan of running it rich for the first tank to help with it sitting so long. New spark plugs and wires. Checking all hoses and will replace anything that looks damaged. There are no gray fuel lines on this one.
With all this work i still have a few things i couldn't find...ie I still have a few questions:
1)What do i do about the damaged foam that is on each side, in the engine bay. Like I said it looks like Styrofoam but I haven't seen where i can get replacements or how to fix what is left over from the rodent's nests.
2)I am going to rebuild the carbs ....or should i look for rebuilt ones. I can do it myself but not sure if it is worth the hassle. Anyone have the rebuild kit number/with jets off hand?
3) Anything I should check before trying to start it up? Other than spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel lines(they are not gray)? Already have a new battery.
4) I would like to start it up in the garage and do as many checks/inspections as I can. Can I start it up without it being in the water?. I read about the garden hose adapter but did not follow what it is for.
5) I plan of doing a compression check once it is running, i figure it should be around 145 each cylinder …right? or should i do it now to make sure the engine is healthy

As always any advise or links to more information would be apricated. I am looking forward to getting this beast running and in the water...maybe this summer!

Do not just "get it running".
I would get a new used wiring harness from Westside Powersports Seadoo.

Rebuild the carbs with all new parts from OSD, new fuel selector and fuel strainer o-ring. Following the Carb Rebuild Sticky at the top of this section.

Only use API-TC full synthetic oil, change the inline oil filter.
Change the jet pump oil.

You can check the compression first, should be 130 psi.

Do not just "get it running".
I would get a new used wiring harness from Westside Powersports Seadoo.

Rebuild the carbs with all new parts from OSD, new fuel selector and fuel strainer o-ring. Following the Carb Rebuild Sticky at the top of this section.

Only use API-TC full synthetic oil, change the inline oil filter.
Change the jet pump oil.

You can check the compression first, should be 130 psi.
Thanks for the info...one question, as with other posts, I see people recommending to replace the fuel selector, why is that, do they have o-rings that don't last or is it a bad design?

Thanks for the info...one question, as with other posts, I see people recommending to replace the fuel selector, why is that, do they have o-rings that don't last or is it a bad design?
The fuel selector can have dirt and guck build up inside it preventing good fuel flow from your tank into the carb, the part is cheap and just replacing it will save you a headache and time in the future.

To my understanding the fuel selector usually get a good build up of debris from when the machine had the grey fuel lines plus the combination of ethanol they put in the fuel.

The selectors have rubber parts inside that get hard and go bad with time and will eventually leak and suck air causing the ski to lean out and seize pistons.

Ok, I need to replace this wiring harness but can't figure out what it is called. Here is a picture. The harness I need is the one on the top right. It goes from there to the gauges in the hood.

Attachments

• Sea Doo wiring.jpg
    Sea Doo wiring.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 42
Anyone got picture(s) of the engine bay(s) and front cargo bay(without bucket installed) for a 98 GTX limited. I have several hoses, clear and black, that I need to figure out where they go to, rodent ate most of them.

Ok, I need to replace this wiring harness but can't figure out what it is called. Here is a picture. The harness I need is the one on the top right. It goes from there to the gauges in the hood.
So i found out the wiring for the picture I posted above, is for the LCD info guage. Everything i found, you have to buy the wiring with the guage together. Anyone know if it can be sold separately? Also, if I change out the guage and wiring with another used one. Is there anything going to cause issues with the security system and such?

next thing i want to do is a compression check but it doesn't run, anyone got a quick way to turn it over to check compression? I have a good battery, can i just hook two wires to the starter? without messing up to the electronics?

8 years is a long time. I'd pull the fuel and oil tanks and give them both a good cleaning. If the fuel lines are not pliable/flexible I'd replace them. You need to look at "everything" on that ski. Check the wear ring, and replace the jet pump oil. Grease the PTO. Open the rear electrical box and clean all the connection points. I restore these ski regularly. Whatever you don't check will bite you. Verify everything. Good Luck.

Anyone know of somewhere i can get a schematic of all the hoses, whether fuel, vacuum or otherwise? the rodents completely demolished them all and I'm not sure if i can find where they all go. The maintenance manual does ok but doesn't show me everything.

Anyone know of somewhere i can get a schematic of all the hoses, whether fuel, vacuum or otherwise? the rodents completely demolished them all and I'm not sure if i can find where they all go. The maintenance manual does ok but doesn't show me everything.
Parts manual has a breakdown much better than the service manual - Good Luck! I'm doing the same to my 99 GTX limited here!

I could make a video for you guys. Pictures don't cover the whole lenght of the hose very well. A couple of the hoses need to go on AS you're doing the assembly or you're cuss yourself. Could be that I just hate taking things back apart. At least the Carb models don't have as many hoses and crap as the DI.

I could make a video for you guys. Pictures don't cover the whole lenght of the hose very well. A couple of the hoses need to go on AS you're doing the assembly or you're cuss yourself. Could be that I just hate taking things back apart. At least the Carb models don't have as many hoses and crap as the DI.
Video would be awesome, I'm a visual guy.

Parts manual has a breakdown much better than the service manual - Good Luck! I'm doing the same to my 99 GTX limited here!
Didn't know there was a parts manual, just got it, I should be able to get what I need from it as well as the video

Looks like I need to get 6mm, 8mm, and 12.5 mm hose(s). Anyone got a good place to get this stuff, I got to figure out how long i need as well. Also, what kind of zip ties do they use to clamp these down...anything special?

Them freaking 8mm and 12mm hoses are difficult to find. I've looked and looked and looked. Stock hoses work the best. 5/16 Tygon is what I'd try. For the 12mm...... man I can't find anything that works. I've never found 12mm tygon. You'll need hose clamps on the 12mm. I use hose clamps on the 8mm at the oil tank and injection pump. I use ty wraps on the oil filter connections. I have used ty wraps on the oil pump connection when it proved difficult but that's not my preferece.

What happens is regarding the hoses for the oil lines; you find the material listed in the parts manual and order the size and it is too stiff and you have a leak because it won't seal around the fittings. I refuse to order that high priced stuff from Seadoo but it is probably the best way to go. Good Luck.

Them freaking 8mm and 12mm hoses are difficult to find. I've looked and looked and looked. Stock hoses work the best. 5/16 Tygon is what I'd try. For the 12mm...... man I can't find anything that works. I've never found 12mm tygon. You'll need hose clamps on the 12mm. I use hose clamps on the 8mm at the oil tank and injection pump. I use ty wraps on the oil filter connections. I have used ty wraps on the oil pump connection when it proved difficult but that's not my preferece.

What happens is regarding the hoses for the oil lines; you find the material listed in the parts manual and order the size and it is too stiff and you have a leak because it won't seal around the fittings. I refuse to order that high priced stuff from Seadoo but it is probably the best way to go. Good Luck.
OSD sells the 12mm line

I should say that I can't find the 12mm hose at what I consider to be a reasonable price. I'm not selling a kidney for 5 feet of hose. :D It's a personal thing for me and it isn't once and done as I restore a lot of skis. That stuff is so expensive I just clean and reuse the old hoses. I'll find a supplier somewhere.

Note Edit : The biggest issue for me is getting the tubing to seal at the fittings. Stuff I've bought so far is not quite as flexible as I like.

Last edited:
I should say that I can't find the 12mm hose at what I consider to be a reasonable price. I'm not selling a kidney for 5 feet of hose. :D It's a personal thing for me and it isn't once and done as I restore a lot of skis. That stuff is so expensive I just clean and reuse the old hoses. I'll find a supplier somewhere.
I did run across this the other day. Says it’s equivalent to Tygon F-4040-A like what’s used for the small oil lines. 12mm ID and 15mm OD is similar to what I bought from OSD.

Attachments

• 1903B9F5-76AF-4407-9532-D22B3B76A9C6.png
    1903B9F5-76AF-4407-9532-D22B3B76A9C6.png
    233.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I did run across this the other day. Says it’s equivalent to Tygon F-4040-A like what’s used for the small oil lines. 12mm ID and 15mm OD is similar to what I bought from OSD.
where did you find this stuff?

where did you find this stuff?
McMaster-Carr, Part # is 3602N66 for 12mm line.

Keep in mind I've never used this line, so can't speak to it's longevity. It's the only 12mm fuel/oil line I've been able to find though. I did measure the OSD line I ordered and it was 12mm ID and approximately 15mm OD. Might be the exact same stuff, might not be. But since it is advertised as comparable to Tygon F-4040-A, I'd imagine it's safe.

I checked OSD. Price isn't too bad on the stuff they have. I think they do a good job of being competitive and reasonble. I see they have the seadoo GOLD Plated hose. LOL To each his own. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back