98 951

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozcraig

g'day. I have a gtx ltd 951 1998,
I recently put a carbie kit through the carbs. On restarting the motor is was reving like mad. By riching the low speed screws on both carbs I got down to 4000. Still way to high! Also after it has been reving at 4000 for about 30 sec the revs start to climb and go up to 7000 quickly.
None of the butterfly's seem to be sticking.
Any thought's!!!!!! It would be most helpful
Thanks CRaig

RPM's....

There are a couple things you may have either left out or missed during your rebuild. There are a couple check valves that help control the amount of fuel that runs through the carbs and to keep fuel from returning to the carbs from back pressure. If this occurs, then your fuel is uncontrolled, just dumping into the carbs at the jets.
You have the Mikuni BN-46i carb and I'm running the 40i. The body design is exactly the same. If you'd like to take a look at these parts and get an idea of where these check valves are, then look at my post under the boat section titled "a look inside the 787" (I've posted pictures too). I just finished rebuilding my MAG carb yesterday and posted pictures last night. I'm going to attach one of those pictures in this post. Look at the picture on the top left of your screen. The plate is upside down but I've marked the hole that is suppose to be controlled with a check valve. If you flip this plate over, you'd see a small screw holding a small piece of metal that is the foundation to the check valve. This would be my first guess as to your problem. If you need answers to some questions, then give me a shout.
FYI, there is a lever that operates the needle valve, that is suppose to be flush with the body floor. Check this. If it's not set correctly, then the fuel is seeping by the needle valve. There is also a check valve in the plate that covers the jets, check it to make sure it isn't damaged or in need of replacement.
Holler back if you need more answers!..........:cheers:

Attachments

• Cleaned jet housing.JPG
    Cleaned jet housing.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

thanks for the advice, I'll strip them down and have a loook at what you suggested.
I appreciate your help
Craig

Carbs check valve?

I got a better pix of the valve assembly check valve I thought I'd attach here for you to see. These check valves are no more than a thin piece of plastic. If you didn't know what you were looking for, you'd probably miss it!...
The check valve in this picture is to ensure a positive pressure on your main and pilot jets............Have any more questions, now's the time to ask while I got my own carbs torn apart............

Attachments

• Valve ass'y check valve.JPG
    Valve ass'y check valve.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back