96 GTX piston burn pattern

KennyG7

My first time posting so hope I get it right, i bought a couple 1996 GTX for the grandkids it’ll be fun they said, LOL. So one had a rebuilt motor 1mm over I don’t think they shaved the rave valve as it hit the piston so I rebuilt the top end it runs great everything seems good but am concerned about the burn pattern on the pistons the pto side seems ok but the mag side not so sure, the previous owner removed the oil injection so is premixed wondering if perhaps I have water getting in. Any help/ thoughts would be appreciated. I have attached a couple photos let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_2958.jpeg
    IMG_2958.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2959.jpeg
    IMG_2959.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
How much time on those pistons?
If anything I might say you are rich.
Did you correctly rebuild the carbs and fuel system with that new engine?
piston wash (1).webp

These pistons have about 20hrs, I rebuilt the carbs as per your guidelines with genuine Mikuni parts and new needles and seats, new fuel lines pop off and leak down all good this thing runs like atop plugs look good nice colour both the same.
I am not as concerned with the piston that looks a little rich as I am with the nice shiny one.

20 hours isn't that much. Rich is safe.
Ok Thank you I appreciate your response, I wouldn’t have even looked if it hadn’t developed a rattle which I thought was probably from the jet pump(which it was) but as I’d just done the rebuilt decided to take a quick peek inside, I’ll keep any eye on it only takes a minute to drop the camera down the hole.

Back