96 challenger runs on trailer but not in water

Status
Not open for further replies.
it could have, everything to do with it...try pull'n choke next time, see what happens. Did you mess with the n/s spring inside carbs?

i did pull it at alot of diff positions and it had a little effect at about 1/4 choke i picked up a couple hundred rpms maybe. i never messed with the springs or tang arms heck i dont even know where they are really lol. but i think im gonna have to build the pump from lowes. its all i can think i have not checked.

Heck man ive had the hood completly off of it since i got it lol. I replaced the motor and its so much easier without the hatch on just havent had it running right enough to put it back on.

just made the tester and as soon as the shop closes up here at work i can get it in there to an air hose

Do the carbs have to come off the engine to do a popoff test?

This problem you are having now sounds very familiar to what I went through and does sound like you have a pop-off issue. The only way to be sure is to confirm pop-off pressure. The carbs have to be off to perform that test. The difference of it running on water and on the trailer is like Timmy said, no load. The bog you're getting usually indicates a lean condition. You also said you found a kinked line. Might want to double check all fuel lines to be sure they are where they are supposed to be.

yeah the pulse line collapsed in one of the curves. so what exactly did you do to fix yours?

one thing tho that has me hesitant on thinking this is the problem is that i have 2 sets of carbs and it does the same thing with them both. the set on it now worked great on this motor in my gsx

Last edited by a moderator:
mxdoc was fishing with the hatch idea, in case you had an exhaust leak, which then ur intake of gas fumes is choking out the motor.

If those carbs are the ones that came from the GSX and you didnt mess with it, then it aint the problem. Hows the idle? double check the settings, triple check the fuel lines and its connections....redo compression test..etc.

i just started to mess with the carb settings last night, the idle was low(1500) so i set it up to 2500 rpms(on trailer) which is what i think i saw somewhere. when i gave it throttle in quick bursts it seemed like i had a lean hesitation so i turned the low out 1/4 turn. it will rev and return to idle.

My highs were 1 out and lows were 2+. I re set to low 1 and 1/4 the did another 1/4 then highs at 0

Success!!!!!!!!!! Kinda

i took it to the water lastnight to test it out and it will run under load now! runs rough but it does run. i need to get the carbs tuned in now is what i think it is. what i did last night was i saw the dang fuel filter was draining again so i pulled the baffle and cut the screen out and replaced the filter with the original again and it seemed to stay full. now on the water it wont plane out (didnt try too much) mostly had it chained to the trailer and was making sure it would run. i will try again tonight, anyone have the best approach to tuning it in? ive read snipes thread about using a br7es to do the initial tuning will that make it easier?

oh and never did the popoff test because i looked in the manual and it didnt have a specification for mine. it listed 90% of the diffrent ones, the manual has every one from like 89 to 96 and the 787 carbs didnt list it in specifications i wonder why?

found i had an exhaust leak not big but i fixed it. i found a ton of oil in the manifold and pipe, what causes this. it still didnt make it run right.

i have tried everything,and im still where i was. it runs a little better as far as i can run it up to 3500 or so and it does not die on me anymore it blows out a ton of smoke and sputters and doesnt do a loud backfire more like a poof thruogh the carb so i pulled rotary cover and advanced a tooth and no luck was worse so tried retarding 2 teeth and it was worse so im going to go back foreward one tooth to be back to where i originally set it to. i am going to try to swap mpems tonight maybe it has a bad limiter or the ignition timing it off. or could it be the woodruff key?

sorry about your frustration, that sucks, but i'm sure you'll figure it out. one other thing did you run it in the H2O with the air 'filters' off. those screens can get nasty. let us know how the mpem and timing things work out. good luck.

how can i check the ignition timing? the book has a little bracket bolting on the back where the pto cover goes but i dont have one where can i find one and if it is off is there anyway to adjust it without going to a stealership?

i don't know about the timing. i've had a couple of motocross bikes that acted this way....(sounded ok on the stand, but blubbered under load) ended up being the ignition stator. i'm not sure how to equate that to the seadoo motor though. i'm also not sure about the timing. you can get manuals downloaded off ebay for less than ten bucks if you don't have one.

I have one with every pwc 89 to 96 and it is all identical with 787 motors. they talk about dynamic and static in there but it also says that you have to have a seadoo tool to adjust, like to reprogram mpem. there is a bracket that bolts on where the pto cover goes that has a hash mark on it where you use a timing light to check but i dont have the bracket or know where to get it

bombed around the web, look'n for that bracket. All I came up with is set mag piston to TDC, then mark the pto. guess you can jerry-rig something from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back