96 challenger runs on trailer but not in water

Status
Not open for further replies.
cant see the mpem from the GSX being any different from the boat, maybe less wires, but should work....heck w/ gauges..etc, just hook the essentials up.

am i correct that timing is controlled in the mpem? it is just about all i have not swapped so im hoping it has to be it lol!

problem is...you didnt adjust/remove the stator, pickup..etc from the GSX, all you did was transplant the new motor in boat, and now, it aint work'n...?

The reason for install'n the GSX motor, was why?

the mag cover never came off of the good motor from the gsx. i swapped because we all cant live in calli with the extremley clear 90 degree days this late in the year lol, wish we could all have your weather. it is a little cold to get wet here and go 50. i stole the boat pretty much and i figured i could hit the lake for a little while longer with the boat,

the original had 0 psi in the pto cyl when i bought it, took the head off and a ring exploded is what it looks like, havent gotten the jugs off to look but the walls werent scored up bad at all just minor pitting on the head so i was going to rebuild the top this winter. my motor for the gsx was rebuilt in may i sent it out and was supposed to be a 10 day turn around time and i didnt get it back till july 19th. so i figured it to be the fastest way to get it in the water.

well i just ran home for lunch and found my first non interchangable part. MPEM! they look nothing alike, the boat is like a 5x5 square and the gsx is 5x2and 1/2 inches with about half of the wires probably. 3 fuses as opposed to 2. so there goes that plan but i will still try to check timing and i guess pull the mag off and check stator(even tho it tested ok with ohm meter) and woodruff and then im all out of idears!

I have a 2001 challenger I dont know if this might help, I had a Brass ring timing gear had a hair line crack in it which threw out the timing, out of the water would go fine out then bog down in the water. Could be that. Trent c

I have a 1996 challenger also. It ran on the trailer great but when I put it in the lake it wouldn't run. I check and replaced what you did and nothing, same thing. I had a shop rebuild my Carbs and now it runs great. Some times you have to bite the bullet and pay the money. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back