951 flywheel removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddler

Any ideas out there on getting the flywheel off my 2000 GTX DI. The mag wheel is really frozen on there. I soaked it with PB Blaster for a few days. I put the Seadoo puller on and trorqued the bolt and tapped it for hours. I think I may have stripped off the few threads the puller grabs on the wheel. can I heat the area or will that damage the seals? Or maybe take out the 6 6mm bolts and separate the wheel from the rotor ring to gain some more threads? This motor had some watter intrusion and is seems rusted on.......Thanks

Some are more difficult than others. http://www.watercraftsuperstore.net/PWC-Tools-Shop-Supplies/714SB139.html
Sometimes I must use a torch to heat the center hub remove them. Sometimes I can put alot of torque on the puller bolt, go home and come back the next day and it will be laying on the floor.

I have found out the hard way that not removing the mag cup can cause the puller to either pull the threads off of the hub, or pull the threads out of the puller. This happens because there are very few threads to get ahold of with the mag cup still installed on the flywheel. The result is buying a new flywheel or a new puller tool.

You will know when you are holding the puller in your hand and you did not unscrew it from the hub.

Thanks for the reply. When I get home I will take off the mag cup. It looks like a star head on those bolts, not a hex right?. Does it get realigned? again thanks

I just have taken off the flywheel on my 951 motor and it was TIGHT! it's a taper fit. I ended up borrowing a puller made for it, you remove 3 torx bolts in a triangle pattern ( you will need a impact driver! they are friggen tight too ) attach puller and then use air gun to apply tension to puller bolt, it will make a sudden loud pop and it's off. There is a small key that will only let the flywheel go on one way..... Good Luck

I need to get the mag cup off to get more threads on the puller tool but can't loosen the torx bolts. I have a size 30 torx driver and it will just strip out the head after just a little pressure. What a pain to just replace the bendix. I really don't know what to do next...any ideas? Thanks

Ya those torx bolts are a bitch they have blue loctite on them you really have to stand up like your riding the thing and get a 2lb hammer and get a good solid even hit on the impact driver. You can use a standard puller and pull from the out side of the fly wheel gear and keep pressure on pull and if you can slowly heat up assembly from the gear teeth inwards toward the shaft and the heat should expand the flywheel portion before the shaft, I would only do this with a map gas or propane hand held torch unless you have a very small tip for oxy/acct torch....... Good Luck I feel for ya it's not easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back