2004 Seadoo Supercharged sat for 10 years

thejuice48

My friend who was immaculate on maintaining his ski let it sit for 10 years inside his garage. When you look inside, it looks and smells like new. He needed to get it out of his garage so I drove to pick it up. The steering is smooth. The reverse is smooth. OPAS block offs installed. Supercharger clutch was changed to metal before it busted. He installed larger opening intake grate, an upgraded impeller, and a stainless steel wear ring.

First day (6/22/2024):
  • Sucked out all the gas (approx 7 gallons)
  • An oil change to 10w 40 Mobile 1 racing oil for wet clutches (this is what we all ran in our 4-Tec supercharged engines) The oil was maple syrup colored.
  • When doing the oil change I noticed that the oil filter cup was leaking from the top, but of course I replaced the o-rings at the top.
  • Installed temporary cheapy battery from Walmart with 400 cranking
Turned it it over with no gas in it just to see if it would turn. First two attempts at start I could hear the starter spin, but not engage. It finally did fire, but died, because no gas. After that, just chunk, chunk, chunk. Which got quieter with each turn, like it was draining battery. So I thought, ok, crappy Walmart battery.

(6/23/2024):
  • Changed the spark plugs
  • Sprayed Seafoam deep creep down each plug hole
  • Tried to turn it over without spark plugs in engine seemed like it wanted to move but didn't.
  • Sprayed Seafoam deep creep on both sides of the jet pump (underneath and from the rear)
Banshee battery arrived (6/27/2024):
  • Installed Banshee battery
  • Cleaned up ground cable on engine (surface rust but not corroded)
  • Dropped the screw for the battery into the hull, so I tried using my shop vac to get it out and ended up with some slimy oily water (light brown).
  • Tried turning it over, and chunk chunk, then just chunk....chunk... chunk
(6/28/2024):
  • Got underneath and used a wooden dowel to see if the impeller would move. It did, about 1/4 of an inch
  • Pulled pump just to make sure it was not locked due to swollen SS wear ring. It wasn't spins well.
  • Bought a spline tool that Seadoo doesn't make so I can turn over the engine CCW from the rear with a ratchet to see if the starter might be the problem before going through the hassle of removing it.
NOTE: My buddy said when he first got the ski he had a problem with the starter several times, and took it in for repair under warranty. The starter feels very clean. The positive looks good. The surface looks good.

If I can get the engine to move with the spline tool, the engine is not locked, so I'm thinking starter relay and/or starter.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Take the spark plugs out and see if it cranks over.
I forgot to include that as something I did on the day that I replaced the spark plugs.

I looked down the plug holes and the engine seemed like it wanted to turn over but couldn't. I wasn't sure if it was the battery, or pump, or ? So That's when I focused on the pump.

Also tried to crank it over (flooded) with the pump off just to see if it would turn over. Still just chunk chunk.

When I first tried to start it with no fuel this is what it sounded like:

20240624_190121.mp4

Then after it started up and died once, it went to this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W1zdz8Rp1Af5GL3J3myDY9APDnLPipSM/view?usp=drive_link

Plugs had no water or moisture on them when pulled:

20240626_102411.jpg

This brand new battery shows 12.6V at rest. When I try to turn over the ski it drops down to 8V. It is a Banshee, with a four year warranty and has 500 CCA.

The sound coming from it when trying to start sounds different than the starter solenoid. But the starter solenoid is easier to replace.

Last edited:
Today I pulled the starter relay because to test it on the ski is impossible with only two hands. The ohms over the male two prong connector bounce around and settle at 6.2ohms.

The two new ones I purchased don't help me figure out if it's bad or not.

One tests at 45.4 ohms and the other at 5.00 ohms.

Posts on forums indicate on the ski ohms should test no higher than 1 ohm when starter is pressed.

I have not applied power to it as I do not have quick clips and the high voltage which it puts out.

Not sure which one to install or if the starter relay is good.

Any ideas? The only test in the manual is on the ski.

If it clunks hard when you press the start button, that is the engine not turning over for some reason. Could be seized piston, could be hydro locked, could be supercharger, etc. When the solenoid fails, you will only hear a slight click from it. If I had to guess, I would put my money on the supercharger bearing. When they sit for that long, the nylon spacers in the supercharger bearings will get brittle and break. So what it does is if you crank it over a few times until that spacer lets the ball bearings move around and then it will lock up which is where I think you are at right now.

The sc clutch has nothing to do with the sc bearings. Seadoo recommends a complete rebuild every 2 years for the sc or 200 hours. My opinion is every 4-5 years or 100 hours. It's simple to check the sc. Remove the center intake hose and wiggle the impeller back and forth. It should have free play where it moves a little back and forth. If it has no movement, your sc is locked up. With it being that old, I would just pull the sc anyway and rebuild it. To remove, unbolt the exhaust clamp and a couple small water hoses and slide the waterbox back about 3 or 4 inches. Then remove both the sc intake and exit hoses and the 3 E8 bolts. Twist, wiggle, and pull and it will come out. You can then crank the engine over with the sc removed to see if cranks over like it should.

Back