2004 Seadoo Supercharged sat for 10 years

See if the engine cranks over. If it cranks a little bit and then locks up, check the sc play again. It's very possible that the bearings are still bad. Just had a thread on this a week or two ago that I talked them through it where the sc would spin by hand fine but not in the ski and was the sc bearing.
It chunk chunks. Remove SC?

Yes, it can, at a minimum, eliminate it as the problem. It will definitely need rebuilt anyway which you can rebuild yourself or send it out to be rebuilt.

Yes, it can, at a minimum, eliminate it as the problem. It will definitely need rebuilt anyway which you can rebuild yourself or send it out to be rebuilt.
So if I pull the SC out completely, and I can't crank over the engine, what else is there? I don't want to spend money rebuilding a SC for a seized engine.

Move on to the next common reasons the engine will be locked up or not turning over properly which is timing chain, bendix, flywheel bolts, bearings, etc. Supercharger bearings is at least 20 to 1 more common than anything else with the exception of the pump bearings but you've already removed the jet pump.

Trying to get the retaining bands off the back exhaust so I can slide it back. Too freaking tight to get in there with any amount of force to remove them. Anyone have any tricks? This ski has now seen my blood.

You don't need to take them off, just slide them forward and there will be enough room.
Spray the water box with silicone spray under the band to make it easier to slide the water box under the strap.

The strap will come off easy but is a real pain to put back on. Do not go there.

Spray the water box with silicone spray under the band to make it easier to slide the water box under the strap.

The strap will come off easy but is a real pain to put back on. Do not go there.
When I was out there yesterday I was wondering if the waterbox even needs to be moved at all.

But in trying to slide the band back and forward yesterday, it won't move more than a 1/2 inch forward so I can slide the box backward till it hits the hose connector towards the motor.

What is your objective trying to remove the supercharger?
If you objective is to remove it so you can crank the engine over, pull the supercharger back about an inch, try to turn the impeller nut by hand. If you can turn it, since the gear will no longer be engaged with the flywheel it should have no impact on the ability of the engine to turn.

If you can not turn it, the supercharger is seized. You will need to move the box about 1-2" toward the back of the jetski to pull the supercharger the rest of the way out. You may have to rotate the supercharger body to get the clearance needed to pull out.

As noted previously it is not hard to disconnect the strap but is very hard to reinstall it. See the link below.
The reinstall it I had to remove the large hose coming out of the water box (not easy to pull off) to provide access so I could connect the end of the strap closest to the drive shaft as the final connection. Soak the water box with Windex under the strap so it will stretch easily when you reinstall it.

To remove it I used a long handle weed removal tool to push down on the metal ring on the end of the strap furthest from the drive shaft to unhook it from the bracket on the hull.

https://www.greenhulk.net/forum/personal-watercraft-performance-skis/sea-doo-pwc-performance/sea-doo-how-to-faqs/4430-how-to-making-a-water-box-strap-installation-removal-tool
1720658375830.png

Last edited:
I bought the tool you mentioned above. Still can't get the damn strap loose. So I opted for pulling the SC out several inches to see the engine would turn over more than a 1/4 of a turn. The engine wouldn't turn over more than a quarter of a turn counter-clockwise. The SC blade spins freely though.

This is how far out I pulled the SC:

20240716_181908.jpg

So what next... Is this engine definitely locked?

If you can not rotate the engine using the spline tool you bought with the the spark plugs and SC out, it is locked.

I doubt there is any way to fix this unless you pull the engine out and take it apart to find out what is binding inside it.

I just replaced a broken valve in the head of my 2005 RXT. The 4-tec engines prior to 2007 are known to have weak valves which cause expensive damage when they go. You may want to sell or part it out.

Last edited:
If you can not rotate the engine using the spline tool you bought with the the spark plugs and SC out, it is locked.

I doubt there is any way to fix this unless you pull the engine out and take it apart to find out what is binding inside it.

I just replaced a broken valve in the head of my 2005 RXT. The 4-tec engines prior to 2007 are known to have weak valves which cause expensive damage when they go. You may want to sell or part it out.
Wouldn't it also be possible that the starter bendix is locked in the magneto causing the engine not to rotate fully?

Again, I can rotate the driveshaft a 1/4 of a turn CCW.

To service the starter Bendix, you need to take off the PTO housing then flywheel. It is not part of the starter. Not easy to do with the motor inside the hull. It is doubtful this is the issue because you can partially rotate the engine..

IMO could be you dropped a valve, there is a problem related to the timing chain or a loose piece of metal has jammed up something inside the PTO housing. These could possible allow partial rotation.

If you want to dig further in suggested order-
1) Take off the valve cover and remove the rocker arm assembly to look for a valve tip sitting at a different height than the others. Note- rocker arm assembly bolts are for one time use only.
2) You may also be able to see something interfering with the timing chain with the cover off.
3) Try rotating it again with the cover and rocker assembly off.
4) Find a way to move the water box back- cut the band if needed. Take the SC out and look for a broken gear or damaged bearings. The loose part could be inside the engine interfering with something.

Just about anything you find will require engine removal to fix with possible exception of a dropped valve if no further engine damage occurred..

Last edited:
Back