2001 will not start

Do you understand the DESS system?

• NO,...You mean the beeps mean something?

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • YES,...It is a great security device.

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had sorta narrowed it down to the bendix, also. I have tried 4 different batteries, the latest being the one out of my F150 - 750 CCA, and it did the same thing. I'll go ahead and check the voltages across the solenoid and see what is happening, but I think I'm into a sticky starter now.

I'm not sure which one is the mag. Is it in the MPEM, kinda down below the solenoid? I'm pretty sure the rectified is directly beneath the solenoid.

It started! I took the started off and sure enough the bendix was badly corroded, so I cleaned it and lubed it and it worked great. The motor started after about 3 tries. I started it a couple of times to make sure it was working OK.

Then, I hooked up the water hose to the fitting on the back so I could run some of the oil out of the cylinders that I had put in earlier. I expected it to smoke some, but it really smoked a lot, and it was mainly white smoke out of the exhaust. Is that normal? It's got old gas plus it's been sitting for almost 3 years. I'm a little worried now that it might have a cracked block or something and getting water in the cylinders. Is there a good way to check for that? I pulled the plugs and turned it over a few times and didn't see anything shooting out of the cylinders.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. It's been an interesting experience, to say the least.

There is a pressure test you could do to see if you have a leak in the water cooling system. Change the gas and add fresh, than run it and see what happens. Check the plugs and look for water droplets on the electrode. Keep us posted.

I have this great habit of doing something and then reading that I should do it a little different. In this case, I hooked up the water hose, turned it on, then started the boat. Then I turned the boat off and then the water. I had water coming out of every orifice on the boat! So, if I've got water in the motor, do I need to get it out somehow, or just run it out?

I know now that I should have started the boat, turned on the water, shut off the water, then the boat.

I also still have a little bit of spark when I connect the battery. And, at first the beep, beep thing doesn't work, but after a few minutes, it starts working. Is there some kind of capacitor in the MPEM that has to charge up? Seems pretty odd.

I think you need to join as a premium member and read about the proper procedure to operating your doo. In the seadoo manual is a section that is lengthy on what to do if your seadoo gets submerged. There is too much information to re-print here. Click on the link at the top of the page under "Seadoo Manuals" for details.

Bendix....

I had a feeling from your description, that your starter wasn't throwing your bendix out.
See, if you would have taken that in to the shop, you'd have spent a butt load of money. I love to see someone who finds their problem themselves and gets all the joy and glory for the repair they made. We're just your pals that you can talk to and help try to figure things out........you did all the work!....
The smoke? From the amount of time it sit up, I'd say that's normal If there was any amount of time spent in turning the engine over without it being fired or any lubricants being put into the engine, that's why your seeing the smoke. Let it run for a little while to see if it will burn off. If you run for extended periods of time on the hose, it may not be a bad idea of spraying a little WD-40 into the impeller area and the carbon seal ring. Since it's not in the water, it will tend to get a little hot. Learned that little trick from "All Things Custom".........sounds pretty logical too.
Good luck and I'm glad you got her fired up. Give it a little run time though before you worry about the oil. Keep an eye on your plugs.:hurray:

I'll get her in the water as soon as I can, and I'll let you know how it goes. I probalby will do the premium thing since I have two of these Doo's, and both are getting a little long in the tooth.

Overall, the 97 GTi has been excellent - no problems. The Challenger has been just that, a challenge. It has not run correctly since the day we got it. It never would pull up a skier no matter how small. When I rebuilt the impeller, it looks like it has been a mess since we got it. There is a place on the impeller shaft that apparently gets pressed on, and then is used as the seal area, and that part of the shaft was totally missing on my boat. Now that would cause some serious cavitation, which it has always had.

I hope these repairs will make all the difference in the world. I've got three kids just dying to get in the water and ski with it.

Parts....?

Sounds like you may have some parts missing around that seal end of the pump or/and maybe where it passes through the hull..........:cheers:

I just got back form the lake, and the boat ran fine. A little smoke at first but then it cleared out nicely. I'm still not sure if it's got enough power out of the hole to pull up a skier, but once at cruising speed it felt pretty good. I'll clean it up and get it ready for the season.

It is missing a couple of cosmetic parts from the in-laws usage. The front light and the little cover on the left side near the jump seat are both gone. If you know where I could get those, I'd make it look a lot nicer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back