2001 RXDI 110lbs one cylinder, too low to read on the other. Aka: no compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdskell12

Just picked up an rxdi (2001) was told it only ran on one cylinder.

Just popped the seat off, everything looks clean as a whistle inside. Anyway, it does start on one cylinder.

Front cylinder didn't register anything on the gauge. Blows fuel mix out when open, light pressure if ya thumb the opening, but not enough to register.

Rear cylinder pushed up to 110 on the gauge I had and held it until I released.

New to seadoo. Are we talking rings, bottom end, valves?

Any help is appreciated.

You've got a 951, so you should have about 135psi on both cylinders. 110 is marginal and the other cylinder probably has a hole in the piston.

So at the very least you're talking about a top end rebuild. Do you know how many hours are on the ski?

I will admit that I'm not a wiz on 951's, but sqrl is, he will probably make a post this evening, he's gonna be your best source.

Lou

Are you familiar with SBT? They sell remanufactured engines as well as cranks, pistons, cylinders, etc..... If you tear the motor down, you can check them out for what you may need.

I have a feeling I'm about to be familiar with them.

Started the teardown, pulled what I presume to be the rave, slowly turned the shaft to watch the piston and sure enough, the front piston is missing the corner where the rave port is and there is a hole a cpl inches down the side of the piston.

Will see if the iPad will let me post a pic of it.

Any idea what a top end job will cost me in parts? Assume pistons, rings, gaskets, machine shop and my time. Surely open to input as I'm going into this project as my venture into the world of seado :-)

You've got a 951, so you should have about 135psi on both cylinders. 110 is marginal and the other cylinder probably has a hole in the piston.

So at the very least you're talking about a top end rebuild. Do you know how many hours are on the ski?

I will admit that I'm not a wiz on 951's, but sqrl is, he will probably make a post this evening, he's gonna be your best source.

Lou

Hours were just over 100. Hoping that i can get any metal out of the engine. There is obvious damage to the piston, a hole on it, so no idea if there are chunks below.

Sounds like I underestimated what it would cost to get it running. Was anticipating a couple or three hundred in parts.

Should be worth it I guess though!

IMG_20120616_201750.jpg

finally have the title, so not as shy about ordering parts. was getting antsy about spending 500bux on a ski in somebody elses name.

checked with the dealership to see if having them do it was an option (its hot in my shop and i would rather be on the water this time of year). they can do it for a couple grand (only do SBT swaps, dont repair or rebuild anything).

however, they did tell me that according to seadoo, the engine is only supposed to last about 130hours.
the bottom end needs a rebuild ever 130hrs?? that seems insane, but i'm new to seadoo.

question for the seasoned seadoo owners.

1. while i have it down, should i rebuild the bottom end? any guess on what that is gonna cost (bearings, gaskets, rods, etc)
2. how long should the bottom end last on a 2001 rxdi?

(thanks in advance)

Last edited by a moderator:
They should last more than 130 hours. SabrToothSqrl is really up on the 951 engines, either PM him or see if he chimes in on the thread.

i think average lifespan on a well cared-for 951 before needing a top end is around 200hrs. but, its like anything some last well past 300 hours, some fail in the first 100. you pays your money and takes your choice

my 01 rxdi has 200hours. Had same problem with piston, tore down sent heads to Fullbore and $375 later, all is good. The pieces of your piston or ring most likely went out the exhaust, hopefully not down in the lower portion. Find out why your piston or ring went before you rebuild and hit the water, otherwise you could be tearing it apart again hours later. I would have someone hook it up to the budds system before you even turn it over after your rebuild.
Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back