1998 Speedster Audio Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I havent seen my boat in over a month...It is waiting to be winterized. When I get it back I will take some pics.

I might just do it to have something new, but i will probably add more tweeters to compensate for the highs that my coax 6x9's put out..got a p.t. test coming up this month, so that is my major focus right now..you know how that goes...

rfoster, any pics of your dual battery set-up? i am currently putting an audio system in my 98 sportster and am wanting a dual battery set up too. i can only assume that our engine compartment layout is very similar from you saying that your battery is under the oil tank. i am not sure where i can fit another battery, so any pics of your install would be very helpful. thanks! mark.

I got some pics, but not with me at work. I will try to post some up tomorrow. The first time I installed it, I took the oil tank out and moved it up out of the way. I had to change a few things over the winter, so I found an easier way. If you open the box that the spark plug wires go into, you can lift all that stuff up and out of the way. Then unbolt that box and move it out of the way. Then the extra battery can slide right in. It is a tight fit and does not have much room to work in. I could not even get a brace to go across the top of the battery. I used a plastic tray that comes with a plastic buckle that you push together and pull tight. That glued to the hull with a half tube of liquid nail. I will get you some pics. It is an easy install.

sweet, yeah no rush or anything, just whenever you get the chance that would be great. you have done an amazing job with your audio set up, i am considering a kicker km10 mounted in the middle of the boat, running free air. how does the bass response sound out of those (hit deep, loud, boomy or tight response)? i just want something to fill out the low end spectrum for the rap/pop songs on the radio these days. nothing that you can hear a mile away, but something that is def. noticeable on board. would you suggest one sub for that or do you need two to take care of business? thanks man. bty, i see you're from ky, you ever make it to barkley lake? we have a house on the main channel and are there quite often...

The Kicker marine subs are actually rated as free air. So they are perfect. Lots of good bass really. Sounds good with all the newer songs really. I really like how mine sounds, but I do have 2. 1 would sound good too though.

I have never been to Barkley. That is one of the lakes I want to check out. I spend a lot of time at Cumberland. I was at Norris Lake TN this past weekend. That is my new favorite place. I loved it there. I will try to get those pics.

I just wanted to update this with what should be the final mods on the audio system. I bought a remote that is RF based, it can be used within 75 feet of the boat. I also wanted to have a remote on the swim platform. I dont always feel like having to carry the small remote. It is nice to be able to adjust the volume and stuff while out in the water. I originally bought the remote with the digital display, but it was too big to fit in the area I was working with. This turned out perfect and it works awesome. Here are some pics.

I think this is it for now, I am contemplating upgrading the subs to 12's, but the only decent marine rated 12 inch subs are Polk, so I would want to swap out all the speakers. So that idea is on hold, unless Kicker wants to make some 12's.

91.jpg

92.jpg

93.jpg

I need help with speaker trouble!!!

I have a speedster myself and the speakers that came with my boat are nothing fancy like yours but they play loud enough for my liking. The only problem I am having is if I am in rough water it causes the music to skip or stop occasionally. Is there a way I can fix this problem? It gets really annoying but my speakers are located down near the cup holders on the side of the boat where the driver and passenger seats are so that could be the reason. Thanks for your help!

Depends on what the problem is really. Sounds like a loose wire. I would check the wires coming out of the head unit. Where in KY are ya?

I'm in Lexington! I will check the wires but it works fine if we are not moving but when I hit a wave or the water is rough it does not play very well... Does it not do that on your? I feel like it's because of the speaker location and if thats the case I can't fix it without a big investment! I might need to bring it up to you haha

are you listening to a cd or radio?? i had the boat out yesterday and noticed that while hitting waves adn whatnot the music would skip words or whatever buy only on the cd.. if i had the radio playing it wouldnt miss a beat.. i mean the speakers dont come in all that great when they are turned up but that doesnt cause skipping.. if you are listening to a cd and it skips its just because of the movement of the boat.. if you are just cruising its fine but once you hit the waves bam.. i think im going to get the ipod cable for my radio and also the sirius sat module so i can have all the tunes i need...

Yeah it's CDs my radio won't ever come in clear enough... I don't have an antennae so the reception sucks. What cord can I buy for the iPod? Thanks for all your help though brother

Ahh....I figured you meant the radio. Yeah cd's are useless. I cant get many radio stations either. I only use my ipod. Depending on your radio, you may just need a cable. If it is an older radio, it wont work though. You could try the FM modulator, but from my experience with them in the car, they suck. Might need to upgrade the radio. You can buy a decent one for $120.

One thing to know about ipods on the boat though, you need to use a smaller ipod like a nano or shuffle. The full size classic ipod works like a portable hard drive. It spins as it works and can skip just like a CD. I originally did it with my 80 GB ipod and it kept skipping and I would have to hard reset it. It led it to break over time. I have since bought a new one, but I also am using a nano in the boat. It works like a USB flash drive and has no spinning parts, so no worries.

I am only a little over an hour north of ya if you wanna upgrade the tunes and are skerd to do it yourself.

I am goin to have to get the NANO as well, because my 80 g keeps freezing up when i would hit a wave.. so glad you found something that works...

The nano works perfect. I am using an old 1st generation nano that is like 4gb too. I bought it for my wife a long time ago and she never uses it so I decided I had a good use for it. I have seen lots of 3rd generation ones go for under 50 bucks on ebay.

will the nano charge with the direct connect from a stereo though...my pioneer direct connects and displays all the songs etc. on the stereo face, but I think i've used a nano before and it wouldnt charge like the 80 g..all the other functions worked, just wouldnt charge..

gotcha guess i need to get a nano then..the 80 g freezes up with every wave i hit, and have to do the whole reset process every time..I know thats not good for the ipod

Speedster

I recently bought a 98 speedster,.. I have installed a Bimini top, hydro turf, I reupholstered all the seats and arm rests and put a new paintjob on the red engine cover,... I think I'm ready to start an audio project! There is no system at all installed, no holes no head unit! I was curious,.. Can I just put a sprerate battery in that second storage level just below/in front of the cooler area? Then run the amp straight to that battery, so I don't have to run wires all the way back to the engine. Also, how do I get wires ran to the drivers side of the boat? Any help would be appreciated,.. I'm worried this might be a little too much work???

Welcome since you are fairly new!!!

I wouldnt put the battery in that compartment. I actually thought about it at first, but you need to run wires to it anyway for charging. since you have to run the wires anyway, just put it in the back. I did a whole write up on adding the 2nd battery. It is easy. Initially, I just used 1 battery and it worked fine. I just didnt sit and listen to the system much with the boat off and I carried a jump pack.

There are 2 ways to get the wires on the drivers side. You can go from that compartment with the radio, down across the ski locker and back up into the driver side storage compartment, then down the side. Or you can do what I did. I needed to run all the wires for the amp anyway, so i took wire loom and put all the amp cables and 3 sets of speaker wires in it. I ran it down into the ski locker and pushed it way up in the top of it where you cant see it. I ran it into the engine compartment, then back up the driver side. The whole system was fairly easy. Just time consuming and expensive. I spent over 25 hours and $1500 on it.

Lets see some pics of yuor boat. I wanna see how your seats turned out.

I am not positive, but I think his has an alternator because it has a mercury motor. It is more like a car v6. I think it has a belt drive and is capable of an alternator.

Nice Job i like your Installation , what kind of speakers are those
Rashid

Thanks. I went with all Kicker marine stuff. A lot of people either hate or like Kicker. Some even say you are only "paying for the name" I love it. The system rocks and I got a good deal on all of it. The main reason I went with Kicker, besides price is the subs. The twin engines dont leave a lot of room to work on this boat. There is no way I could get a box wiggled into the space in the hull. The Kicker subs are also rated for free air applications. With them mounted where they are, they are using the entire hull as their enclosure. The sound is awesome. I highly recommend the Kicker marine speakers.

With that being said, I am not totally loyal to one brand. I know others have had good luck with stuff from Polk and JBL. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the good name brands out there. Just make sure to buy marine rated stuff.

Well here is my Stereo Update..Couldn't really pump up the volume because of the neighbors! Let me know what you think! Thanks, Greg[video=youtube;HoWHJdcNZXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoWHJdcNZXM[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back