1997 GTi- Loud thud sound when trying to start

gotGTi

I have been starting weekly, "money pit", for less than 20 seconds for the last 4 weeks.
This time, engine won't turnover. I can hear it trying to start.
I added more gas in tank and checked oil level is okay. Battery was at 12.6v. I have been charging it. So I tried staring her multiple times to no avail. Of course, (old) battery was drained. I recharged it and I went to Walmart and had it tested. It tested okay with 170 CCA. I think the specs says 240 CCA. Anyway I got a new one, but I still have the thud sound coming from the motor. Still no luck running it.

Did I ruin the motor by trying to start it many times? I still hear 2 beeps from horn when attaching key to ski.

GTi has 192 hours. Recently replaced hoses, new carb kit, carbon seal, wear ring, jet pump serviced, spark plugs, start button, new programmed key. Thanks in advance.

Why are you starting it weekly?
Is it actually cranking over?
Check the battery voltage while cranking the engine, it should not drop below 12 volts.
Can you turn the engine over by hand with the sparkplugs out?

Most likely it is the battery, but you wont ruin a motor by starting it, the starter may wear out quicker that way though. I wouldn't start it that much unless you are taking it out after the start up check. I personally disconnect my battery if I go more that two weeks with "no fun". My battery tends to drain too much after sitting a while.

What do you mean by trying to start...you hearing clicks, a humming?

Why are you starting it weekly?
Is it actually cranking over?
Check the battery voltage while cranking the engine, it should not drop below 12 volts.
Can you turn the engine over by hand with the sparkplugs out?
Just to check if ski still works...out of boredom..lol.

I can check the voltage again.

PTO(?) stuck. Only rotates very minimal, 1/4 inch. Like it's stuck.

Most likely it is the battery, but you wont ruin a motor by starting it, the starter may wear out quicker that way though. I wouldn't start it that much unless you are taking it out after the start up check. I personally disconnect my battery if I go more that two weeks with "no fun". My battery tends to drain too much after sitting a while.

What do you mean by trying to start...you hearing clicks, a humming?
More like humming. But that is gone now. All I hear is a thug sound each time I press start button.

I can't roll it by hand.
Checked the battery voltage when pressing start and voltage dropped to 7.2 -10 then back up to 12.4 -12.6v.
When you tried to roll it over by hand did you have the plugs out? You won’t be able to roll it over with the plugs in, If the plugs were out and you can’t roll it over by hand them either the starter is stuck engaged, the engine is damaged or the prop is seized

I borrowed my neighbor's jetski battery; I swapped to a brand new battery and it's still reading same voltages. ....three batteries all no good? Even the brand new one? Ugh! Really a mystery....
If it’s not the battery then I would suspect the starter, that’s way to much Voltage drop to the starter. After you have checked to see if it will roll over by hand with the plugs out, try crossing the solenoid posts

When you tried to roll it over by hand did you have the plugs out? You won’t be able to roll it over with the plugs in, If the plugs were out and you can’t roll it over by hand them either the starter is stuck engaged, the engine is damaged or the prop is seized
Yes, plugs out.
Talking to a mechanic, it sounds like motor is damaged. His advice is to sell this as is and buy another one with lower hours. I do need an upgrade to push my shuttlecraft. Maybe this is the sign..lol.

Yes, plugs out.
Talking to a mechanic, it sounds like motor is damaged. His advice is to sell this as is and buy another one with lower hours. I do need an upgrade to push my shuttlecraft. Maybe this is the sign..lol.
It’s a little soon to say get rid of it, ju St lookin hx ack through the thread and I see you changed the wear ring and serviced the jet pump, had the engine cranked over since you changed the wear ring/serviced? Did it roll over before that? Have you visually had a look at the pump? Maybe it’s binding up on the new wear ring?

It’s a little soon to say get rid of it, ju St lookin hx ack through the thread and I see you changed the wear ring and serviced the jet pump, had the engine cranked over since you changed the wear ring/serviced? Did it roll over before that? Have you visually had a look at the pump? Maybe it’s binding up on the new wear ring.
Yes, it cranked and started fine before and after those services.

From the back and below grate, the wear ring looks intact. With a flashlight in grate, I could see light coming through between impeller and ring.

I have a 95XP that that I thought the engine had locked up magically while I was restoring the exterior, I ended up freeing it up by gently rocking the PTO back and forth. The starter was bad and had stayed engaged’ with that extremely low voltage that would be the first place I would look besides visually looking at the impeller. Maybe even remove the starter and bench test it, if the starter and impeller clearance are both fine I would remove the engine from the driveshaft either by removing the jet pump or unbolting the engine from the mounts and slide the engine forwards keep track of the shims if you unbolt the engine and make sure they go back in the same location.

Yes, it cranked and started fine before and after those services.

From the back and below grate, the wear ring looks intact. With a flashlight in grate, I could see light coming through between impeller and ring.
I would try rocking the pto to free up the possibly stuck starter, even remove the starter to be sure, if the engine still won’t roll over then remove it from the driveshaft. If it won’t roll over then it’s definitely an engine problem. But I’m guessing starter first

I would try rocking the pto to free up the possibly stuck starter, even remove the starter to be sure, if the engine still won’t roll over then remove it from the driveshaft. If it won’t roll over then it’s definitely an engine problem. But I’m guessing starter first
Do I need to push start button when rocking pto? Take out spark plugs?

I am not really mechanically inclined so I have been taking this to a jetski mechanic. Is the removing and replacing of starter easy to do? Do I need special tools?

I think disconnecting the shaft is too complicated for me.🫢 Lol. Wifey already upset that I have not finished my deck painting project. 😁

Do I need to push start button when rocking pto? Take out spark plugs?

I am not really mechanically inclined so I have been taking this to a jetski mechanic. Is the removing and replacing of starter easy to do? Do I need special tools?

I think disconnecting the shaft is too complicated for me.🫢 Lol. Wifey already upset that I have not finished my deck painting project. 😁
No, you don’t need to press the start button when gently rocking the PTO. On my 95XP it was easy, the hardest part was I removed and replaced it without removing the exhaust so the bottom bolt was blind, just do whatever you can to avoid dropping any bolts under the engine, stuff a few rags in if it helps, I put hair gum on my socket when putting the bolt back in so it wouldn’t fall off the socket. It’s just bolts through the starter into t he housing on the engine, 1 bolt at the rear of the starter on the bracket that holds it to engine case. Leave the positive on the starter till you can pull it out a little and I believe I left the ground cable attached to the starter and pulled it out with it. Make sure the battery is disconnected when doing this. No special tools are required. If it comes to it, disconnecting the shaft is not difficult either, just go slow and if your not sure post here and someone can help. The service manual is helpful to although sometimes there are better ways to do things than stated in the manual but it is invaluable, available for free at seadoomanuals.net What year is your GTI?

No, you don’t need to press the start button when gently rocking the PTO. On my 95XP it was easy, the hardest part was I removed and replaced it without removing the exhaust so the bottom bolt was blind, just do whatever you can to avoid dropping any bolts under the engine, stuff a few rags in if it helps, I put hair gum on my socket when putting the bolt back in so it wouldn’t fall off the socket. It’s just bolts through the starter into t he housing on the engine, 1 bolt at the rear of the starter on the bracket that holds it to engine case. Leave the positive on the starter till you can pull it out a little and I believe I left the ground cable attached to the starter and pulled it out with it. Make sure the battery is disconnected when doing this. No special tools are required. If it comes to it, disconnecting the shaft is not difficult either, just go slow and if your not sure post here and someone can help. The service manual is helpful to although sometimes there are better ways to do things than stated in the manual but it is invaluable, available for free at seadoomanuals.net What year is your GTI?
It's 1997.

Back