Crank seals-657x

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so I know I've asked about crank seals before, but I forgot to mention that it was sitting for 8 years. And I don't believe I've mentioned my inner seals.
So here it goes: I acquired a 1995 spx with a 657x engine that had been sitting for over 8 years(I just found that out last weekend talking to the former owners nephew). When I was doing some electrical diagnostics, I pulled the stater cover off. Bunch of oil came out. I was wondering if this is from sitting for years with a super slow leak, or if this is from me riding it(I fixed it up and rode it for about 3 hours and did about an hour of testing it.). I was wondering if it's likely to leak when I put the engine back in. Besause if it's a leak that takes 8 years to get this bad(I don't know if moderately good seals can leak from sitting for years and still remain good) I'll probably ignore it instead of splitting the case, but if it's bad I'll replace it. I do have the engine out, but I'm thinking of just repainting it, fixing some stripped screws, and putting it back. If it will likely last me 3 seasons before anything gets bad I'll run with it, because I'm a college student and my toy budget is pretty thin.
I also noticed when I started it up after the initial couple of repairs, it smoked my whole shop up. I don't know if this is from oil seeping into the crank, or from winterizing oil. But the bad smoke went away from about 5 minutes of running. But now after I took it out on the water, once it sits a little oil shoots out of the PTO cylender with the plugs removed. Is there any chance that it might be the check valve on the injection pump letting oil seep into the cylinder or is it almost definitely center seals? Also is there a way to definitely test all these seals? I've heard of pressurizing the RV chamber, but what about the outer crank seals? Picture of my leaky mag cylender attached.

Also if I do need to replace the crankshaft, any tips on how to handle the piston? Like how to take the wrist pin out, how to buy new circlips without a whole piston kit? The cylenders both measure 150psi, so I see no reason to redo top end, but I always like to replace circlips with new ones.

Attachments

• 20200727_212354.jpg
    20200727_212354.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Sounds like the inner crank seals have decide to let go
I have the same issue w a 3D 2005
Plugs oil up with not even 5 secs

get a manual to do the engine disassembly and get a rebuilt crank gasket kit and do the top end piston replacement

Sounds like the inner crank seals have decide to let go
I have the same issue w a 3D 2005
Plugs oil up with not even 5 secs

get a manual to do the engine disassembly and get a rebuilt crank gasket kit and do the top end piston replacement
Thanks. I really don't have the money to do a top end(or rather unnecessary repairs to the top end. ) I'm a college student and tuition is expensive. The top end measures 150psi. I'll measure the piston gaps, but I'm pretty sure it checks out, and top end repairs are easy. I may replace the rings if they aren't within spec.

I have to go back to the shop I got my ski stored at to do some repairs to my truck this weekend, and I'll pressure test the RV chamber , and see from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back