Clamping the right water line

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickirig1

I have read that if you tow a Ski you have to clamp the inlet hose. I have 5 people that ride our two Ski's. I had a blow out on the tuned pipe and it killed the ignition, drowned the spark plugs.Had to tow it back. I knew what hose to clamp. Then thought about the other rookies. So I wrapped the correct hose with gray duct tape and wrote clamp here. Under the rear seat section, with a small vise grip in the bucket under the seat. Each Ski has a tow / teather 20 foot line with a baled hook at each end in it.

It's the hose coming from the pump to the engine, if you look on the engine you will see two hoses and on the head cover there are arrows its the one with the arrow pointing toward the front of the ski.

Lou

I have read that if you tow a Ski you have to clamp the inlet hose. I have 5 people that ride our two Ski's. I had a blow out on the tuned pipe and it killed the ignition, drowned the spark plugs.Had to tow it back. I knew what hose to clamp. Then thought about the other rookies. So I wrapped the correct hose with gray duct tape and wrote clamp here. Under the rear seat section, with a small vise grip in the bucket under the seat. Each Ski has a tow / teather 20 foot line with a baled hook at each end in it.

very good idea marking hose with duct tape ... very interesting ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krD4hdGvGHM

Think about the people that use your Jet SKI's. My Daughter would not have a clue which one to clamp. Think about the situation. Your dead in the water.
Tossing in the swells. Our GTI's you have 2 seat sections. You would have to pull both to look at the engine. I thought it was a good idea to share.

I marked the water inlet hose with yellow electrical tape. Based upon the suggestion above, I'm moving the hose clamp to the rear storage bucket, which makes mores sense. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I did the same yesterday before we went out. I am teaching wife and daughters the how-to now that they're out riding on their own.

excellent idea !

and I know we've posted this pic several times, but once more won't hurt...

These little buggers from harbor freight are only $8, i've had a set since 2009 and they have not rusted through

4 of them for $8 is a super deal !

31.jpg

How about a PVC shut-off valve in the inlet line? Works for me and you do not need to mark anything, worry about gear adrift (losing the hose clamp), or hardening water hoses resisting being clamped. Is my simple brain running amok again?
Rod

How about a PVC shut-off valve in the inlet line? Works for me and you do not need to mark anything, worry about gear adrift (losing the hose clamp), or hardening water hoses resisting being clamped. Is my simple brain running amok again?
Rod

Can you take a pic of the shut off valve?

WaterShutoff1a.jpgWaterInletValve1a.jpg
Can you take a pic of the shut off valve?

Ask and ye shall receive. First is virgin 1/2 inch standard shutoff valve found in every place supplying sprinkler stuff. Attached is 1/2 inch pipe to 1/2 inch barb fitting at each end. Cut out appropriate length of the inlet line and insert with stainless hose clamps. Low pressure, low temperature, no problem.

Second is installed in 90 SP, forgive mess, it is a work in progress.

Hope this helps. It is more expensive than the hose clamps, but cannot be lost and easy to see.

Rod

View attachment 26393View attachment 26394

Ask and ye shall receive. First is virgin 1/2 inch standard shutoff valve found in every place supplying sprinkler stuff. Attached is 1/2 inch pipe to 1/2 inch barb fitting at each end. Cut out appropriate length of the inlet line and insert with stainless hose clamps. Low pressure, low temperature, no problem.

Second is installed in 90 SP, forgive mess, it is a work in progress.

Hope this helps. It is more expensive than the hose clamps, but cannot be lost and easy to see.

Rod

very true, those that tow on a regular basis (vs after a breakdown) would benefit from going that route. Although I swear I read somewhere that it "might" restrict water flow somewhat., not sure of the validity of that. (also those valves sometimes have a tendency to get stubborn and not want to move, I know I have a couple of them for my drip water system in my front bushes and after a year they get stuck and take quite a bit of force to turn on/off.

If it ever gets turned off just dont forget to open it!

yes, its been recommended for that example AND for the clamp example to wrap your lanyard around the clamp so you can't forget. I always thought that was a very good idea.

good points

Like any under-the-waterline fittings, they should be double-clamped and, even better, use brass ball valve and fittings and check operation regularly ... I mean everybody always checks the engine room with optical scanners (eyeballs) and gas scanner (nose) for things amiss before hitting the start button for the first time of the day and after fueling ... correct???

Stay safe,
Rod

Can someone help identifying the water inlet hose on my Speedster 150? I've seen pictures for the 255 Supercharged, buf this model's engine compartment layout is different from my Speedster 155. Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back