Blue locktite on impeller?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

vogs77

I used blue locktite on the impeller on a 2000 GS I am working on because I am out of red and trying to get it back together. Will it be ok or should I take it back apart and put red on it when I get some. Pump is not in the ski yet.

I personally dont like to use any. I put anti-seize on the threads instead since the impellers can be difficult to get off. The way it spins its always tightening on the shaft, so i never understood why seadoo recommended locktite on the threads.

I personally dont like to use any. I put anti-seize on the threads instead since the impellers can be difficult to get off. The way it spins its always tightening on the shaft, so i never understood why seadoo recommended locktite on the threads.
I do the same as lee!

Yup, antiseize as they are self tightening. The driveshaft engages the impeller directly so there isn’t any torque to unscrew it really.
The Yamaha 2 strokes are the only ones that I have ever heard of loosing because they are threaded to the driveshaft directly and can unscrew.

I would pull the impeller and redo it with antisieze. I had one a few months ago that I had to strap into a 8 inch vice and even with a 6 foot cheater it came off very grudgingly. Threads on the impeller are still there I just have to find a tap to clean it up but the shaft was wiped clean. Protect those threads!

Loctite on the impeller? I only clean the old stuff out with a dremmel wire wheel. I have never put it on and have never had an impeller come loose.

Blue Loctite isn't going to hurt anything. The goal might be to seal the chamber and the threads to prevent oxidation as well as lock the threads. That would keep the water out.

I use copious amounts of Marine Grease and/or Anti-Seize. I hate it when they don't come apart. Be nice to the next guy working on it.. :) I am sorry to say, I seldom do what Seadoo says when it comes to loctite and threads. I have too much trouble taking the engines apart. YMMV

Last edited:
BRP recommended red loctite up until 1999, and then blue loctite until 2002. From 2003 to the present, BRP now says to use anti-seize. Makes sense because all other manufacturers have always used anti-seize.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back