96 XP seems to be misfiring at higher RPM

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrisp

I took my 96 XP to the lake yesterday to run the gas dry so that I can refill it to get ready for winterization. It started fine, idled great, and everything seemed fine as I went down the channel. I got on the lake and everything was fine from idle to what I'm guessing is around 30 mph. When I full throttle it, the engine seems to stumble or misfire. If I drop the rpms, it runs fine. It has gone as far as running good and it just quit, it was like it ran out of fuel. It was really hard to restart, I think it scooped up water as it coasted to a stop, into the cylinders. It barely cranked, but after 30 seconds it so, it fired back up and sounded bad for a few seconds, then it idled fine. When it happened, I brought it back in and put it on the trailer, and ran it for a little bit. It did the same thing, it seemed like it was misfiring. I could feel the engine vibrating at high rpm and didn't want to hurt anything, so I just brought it home.

I replaced all of the fuel lines about 5 years ago with regular car fuel lines, but they look dried out. I hadn't ridden it until this summer for 4 years, so not sure if it's a fuel issue, electrical issue, or a combination of both.

If the fuel lines don't have fuel in them, do they dry out or dryrot?

The Doo needs new plugs, but would bad plugs cause it to run fine to a certain rpm and then just run like crap?

Also, can old fuel cause these symptoms? It had old gas in it, about 1/4 tank, and I added a few gallons just to run it empty before I filled it with new gas. I hate siphoning gas, it tastes like crap and I always seem to get it in my mouth. Lol

I just want to get it running right before I put it away for the winter, as I'm thinking of selling it and my 95 SPX, but who knows, I might keep them.

While it could be spark plugs or bad gas, failures of the rectifier can cause these symptoms:

You can test it by unplugging the red wire in the rectifier and re-testing. Disconnecting the red wire stops the battery from charging by disconnecting the rectifier. If that works, buy a new rectifier and enjoy your seadoo.

I used this one and it worked great:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kjAAAOSwB09YDmm2/s-l300.jpg

You can find them for about $20-30.

While it could be spark plugs or bad gas, failures of the rectifier can cause these symptoms:

You can test it by unplugging the red wire in the rectifier and re-testing. Disconnecting the red wire stops the battery from charging by disconnecting the rectifier. If that works, buy a new rectifier and enjoy your seadoo.

I used this one and it worked great:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kjAAAOSwB09YDmm2/s-l300.jpg

You can find them for about $20-30.
Thanks!! I'll try it tomorrow, I ran the fuel system dry the last time that I had it at the lake and it took a bit to get it started today.

Service the carbs.....have the carbs been rebuilt recently? To me, sounds like pretty classic fuel issues...older 2 stroke skis are a constant struggles and the fuel delivery needs to be pretty spot on for the machine to perform......use ONLY genuine Mikuni kits for any rebuild activities.....any other kits are just wasting your time and money (this is stated by me through experience and conventional forum wisdom).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back