2004 GTX 4 TEC cranks but wont start, need help please

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sheptack

I have identical 2004 GTX 4TEC Wakes. The what I will call #1 Sea-doo has had a long time issue of cranking, and not starting. It also appears to be an intermittent problem. The fuel Pump was new when I got it, that however did not fix the issue. I took it to a dealer and they thought they found a bad connection at the gas tank. It ran for a while, then goes into the cranks over fine, but wont start condition. It seems as if the power, or ground going to the fuel pump is in question. I read a thread where bad connections/dirty/corroded at the ECM could be a problem. After taking the fuel pump back out, and checking all connections it still would not start. Took the top 40 pin plug off the ECM, and put it back on, and it then started. Sprayed it with contact cleaner, put back on, and it lasted from late last fall to Spring this year. Tried Deoxit on the ECM plug/connections and still would not start. Could see no damage to pins, or female side of plug.

I bought a Engine Harness and swapped it out. Prior to that I was getting the PO231 Code, which is related to the Fuel Pump, but after I replaced the engine harness, that code was gone. Still would not start, same condition. Started thinking I had a bad ECM. Took ECM off Sea-Doo #2, and put it on #1, and it fired right up. The weird part is I put the ECM from #1 on #2, and it started up with no issues. Neither one has any codes up either, and #2 runs like a champ with the ECM from #1 I go to use #1 the following morning, and it appears the Battery was low, and it would not crank over. Battery was a couple years old, so put new battery in #1, and it started right up, no codes. I get #1 in the water last night, and it seems fine, started at the dock, and in about 10 minutes, while under acceleration motor just stops. It was running fine prior, and it did not sputter, hesitate or anything, it just shuts down. (new condition, has not done this before) I try to restart, and same condition, turns over fine, wont start, no codes up. I am about ready to pull out the last few strands of hair I have left over this thing, so any thoughts, or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Question, when #1 shut down while under acceleration, did the information center go blank, or was it still working?

Question, when #1 shut down while under acceleration, did the information center go blank, or was it still working?
Information center was still working, just would crank and crank, and not start. Update: Took off the other 40 pin connector at the ECM, used Deoxit, and now fuel pump runs and pressurizes when you put the fob on the DES. It started right up and has been like that ever since. It seems I was losing the ground to the Fuel pump, as my understanding is that is provided through the ECM, and in the no start condition I had 12v to the fuel pump. That explains the shut down under acceleration, which was simply lack of fuel. I used it like 4 more times and have had no issues (so far). I did find the other wiring harness on E-bay and bought it. Best I can tell the issue is in the 40 pin connector that goes on the ECM, the one that actually provides the ground to the Fuel pump. If it goes into a no start condition again, I am going to change out the other wiring harness. At that point I basically would have all new wiring. If you have any other thoughts, please let me know as any information is appreciated, and just because it is running now, does not mean the "Electrical Ghost" is gone for good. Thanks for the response.

Sounds like you have a crank sensor or something like that acting up, if you get a service manual you can ohms check all of the sensors and relevant wiring. You could even try swapping some of the sensors to see if it follows along, you could also have it hooked up to a scan and see if that shows anything.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a crank sensor or something like that acting up, if you get a service manual you can ohms check all of the sensors and relevant wiring. You could even try swapping some of the sensors to see if it follows along, you could also have it hooked up to a scan and see if that shows anything.
Good info, Thanks!

Hello I'm new here and I have a question on my 2000 seado rx. I have no power to the vts or the lcd multi function guage . I ordered a new polarized screen for it to replace the old melted looking one . When I took it apart there was water damage in side. Now I'm wling to replace the hole gauge but everything is for gtx . So my question is can I use the gtx one or am I weisting my time on it......please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back