02 951 long time owner....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodshoe

Hey guys, new member! would love to hear your input on some things.

I've owned this boat for almost 18 years and it must have millions of hard hours on it by now since I drive it like I stole it. (fresh water I live in Canada town) Not sure how many, I have never pulled the hours on it... anyway, finally two seasons ago it has started to produce some performance issues so I began to tinker with it past your standard maintenance.

Here were my issues; missing about 500rpm and a lot of top end speed. (i could barely get it over 30mph). hole shot bogging/cavitation. Hard starts. Randomly died (would fire right back up) ... this is what I've done to it so far.

B. I rebuilt the carb; great idle now, no more hole shot bogging from the motor but no improvement of top speed. I was still missing 500rpm. (running at 6200)

1. It was getting a ton of cavitation during hole shot (original impeller had some cavitation burn), so I bought a new impeller. Solas ST-DF Dynafly Impeller 14/20, which is horrible for my bottom end as the boat struggles to get it out of the hole (needs more power) but I feel like the cavitation issue is resolved. I love this impeller and once I resolve motor issues I might change the pitch depending on what happens once I get the power back. This impeller did gain 3-5mph which is great, but also lost some more RPM due to the pitch. So now I'm running bout 5600rpm at 34mph

C. I custom fit a set of trim tabs during this time hoping this would help with the hole shot which I always thought was trash in this boat since day one..., hard to tell now with the power loss if it was worth the effort.... (photo attached) ....so far with the tabs down I lose top end by a few mph, so I've just left them up until I solve this power issue.

D. Turns out I had a compression gauge lying around from my crotch rocket build and my compression is only 110 on both cylinders. So the boat is likely missing 20hp and this is causing my main issue of captain major slowness. Otherwise the boat runs great.

Its nearing end of season here so I've decided I will rebuild the top end over the winter, but before I do I ordered a new cylinder head (50cc dome from ADA racing) I'm excited to slap it on to this leaky beast to see what happens it should be here next week. This head is supposed to crank out 165psi and you can still run 91 on it. Do you think this thing will just melt or will I get some PSI back ? :)

Other items I am slapping on this thing over the winter; carbon tech reeds, rave valve mod, pork flame arrestors and pre filters (so it looks cool and sucks up water when its thirsty).

You think all these toys will get me to 55mph in this bathtub? ... I refuse to get rid of this boat, she's family by now. Maybe someone has a recommendation on impeller pitch?

20200807_141807.jpg

Screenshot_20201117-155406_Photos.jpg20210604_134833.jpg

The engineers spend a lot of time,,well with their computers,,,,determining the right pitch,,,considering the hp,,,weight,,,hull configuration ,go back to the stock prop,,,that low slow "hole" shot,,,is a burden on the motor,,,,

Last edited:
The engineers spend a lot of time,,,determining the right pitch,,,hp,,,weight,,,hull conifuration,,,go back to the stock prop,,,that low slow "hole" is a burden on the motor,,,,just my 2 cents,,,
I can partially agree to that....They engineer it to be reliable and have a balanced output. I don't necessarily need it for longevity or low end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back