Waxing the lower hull

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDoSeaDoo

I wanted to make my skis a bit faster/more efficient by cutting down on some of the drag the hull makes with the water. I heard someone mention something about waxing the hull... I understand waxing the top portion for protection/looks, but what about the bottom? I was my snowboard regularly, so I know how much of a difference that can make on a contact surface... what (if anything) do people use on a jet ski bottom?

Nope... waxing the bottom is OK for protection... but wont make the ski faster. We actually would sand the bottom of the hull to gain speed. With water... you want to stay away from surface tension... and the sanded hulls would force small amounts of air under the hull to keep the surface tension broken.

I think we're talking about two different things here. Snowboard/Ski wax is beeswax, it doesn't really make the surface slicker, just makes adhesion to snow less. In theory makes the skiis or snowboards faster. Not sure how his would effect a Seadoo hull, probably not much if any. In any case it would be hard to apply and wouldn't look very good. You use a hot iron to apply ski/snowboard wax.

When most people talk about waxing a Seadoo we're talking about using Marine or Auto wax or polish to protect the finish. I personally just use a good auto polish/wax.

Lou

How about that stuff Chevy Chase used on the bottom of his snow disk on Christmas Vacation.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back