2003 Sea-Doo GTI 717 not starting in water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Bdcarey89

Hello,

I’m new to this forum, but I’m hoping I can get some answers. I have 2 x 2003 Sea-Doo GTI 717. I have been trying to get them ready for summer, I had the carbs rebuilt, all new fuel lines, new plugs, wires and coils. My issue is, they start completely fine on the trailer, I set the idle out of water for 3000 RPM +/- 100 RPM, the manual told me 3000 but I can’t get them to “hold” 3000. Everything has been done to spec, according to the manual, but they absolutely won’t start in the water. I haven’t checked the rotary valve, but I’m assuming it should be fine since I haven’t ever touched it? I’m not sure where to even start at this point, any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Id check the rotary but you could try to raise the idle or give it some throttle. Also did you use genuine mikuni parts for the carb rebuild?

My seadoo usually bounces by about a 50/100 rpm, so as long as you are close to that you should be fine. IMO that number is used to get you in the water so you can set the RPM in the water by what the book say, that is the one you want to focus on, when you get it running in the water that is. So to focus on the primary issues. Did you use an OEM carb rebuild kit? Are the other parts OEM, or aftermarket? Which are OEM and which are aftermarket? Have you checked your compression? Why did you get all new parts for each one? Was there an issue you were trying to solve?

Finally, Both are doing the exact same thing?

I did OEM parts, except for the spark plug wires and fuel line. i used thicker walled fuel line. The issue was that i had some water at the bottom of the tank last year, i flushed it all out and i just got nervous that it got through the carb, so i was like "i guess its time for maintenance". the 1 seadoo had this problem last year as well, before i did the carb rebuild. the other seadoo will start fine either way now, i just had rpm set to low in water. But the one that i've had issues with i thought maybe the carb rebuild and everything else would help. im going to pull the rotary valve cover this afternoon

How much compression do you have
I don’t have an accurate compression tester, I’m a heavy duty mechanic, not small engine, so normally when I go to a job site it’s really obvious lol. I’ll pick one up tomorrow and advise, in the process of machining these surfaces to be 100% true

You can rent one at any autoparts store, its a free rental when you bring it back.
Hopefully you found the issue then. If not let us know the latest on what they are doing. Glad you used OEM, I think that probably saved you a lot of headaches. Yeah with spark plugs you just need to make sure you have the right "number" in there. With the wires just make sure you don't have a lot of slack, sometimes that can cause issues.

You can rent one at any autoparts store, its a free rental when you bring it back.
Hopefully you found the issue then. If not let us know the latest on what they are doing. Glad you used OEM, I think that probably saved you a lot of headaches. Yeah with spark plugs you just need to make sure you have the right "number" in there. With the wires just make sure you don't have a lot of slack, sometimes that can cause issues.
Yeah, from the little I’ve worked on small engines, seems like if there is to much slack the spark can jump if the Leeds are close. Also, I only use NGK plugs on all my toys, so I’m not sure if that’s the right thing or if they recommend something else?

Yeah, from the little I’ve worked on small engines, seems like if there is to much slack the spark can jump if the Leeds are close. Also, I only use NGK plugs on all my toys, so I’m not sure if that’s the right thing or if they recommend something else
NGK are good plugs, that's what I have in my seadoo.

The family GTI had low compression and bigger rotary valve clearance than that and it started in the water. I seem to remember it was .019 inch. Sure you had spin it fast and a lot when it was cold out of the water, but it would start. Once it started on the trailer at the dock, it would start in the water. I would be surprised if the rotary valve clearance is your only issue but I have only worked on one ski. No expert here.

I must say compression and correct rotary cover gap makes starting a lot faster.

Back